996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PPI - does it really work ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Delta996
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an independent recommended by the local Porsche club inspect two C2 cab's at once. One private vendor, one a wholesaler. Paid just under $300. The private car had been hit on passenger side. Nothing showed on Carfax. Owner claimed not to know (he was third owner). The PPI included a test drive. Bought the 01 and used the PPI to knock another $500 off the already reduced price. Alternator died within a month, but that was likely caused by the non-Porsche, tiny battery the wholesaler had been driving the car with over the summer. C'est la vie. Everything else was just as the PPI predicted.

Get a PPI.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Piccia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PPI by P-car dealer revealed a slight valve leak that indie dealer paid to fix. Even better, P-car dealer didn't charge for the PPI b/c the repair work was done with them.

I was a skeptic but am definitely converted. Am helping my dad look for a 911 and have told him it's a must. In the big picture of Porsche ownership costs, it's a small price to pay.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:27 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a PPI done at a Porsche Dealare which uncovered very few issues. 8K miles later, the motor needed replacement (on my dime). My buddy bought a similar car 3 months later, no PPI and had no issues.

I think it is a good idea, but it does not catch everything and cannot predict the future. It can let you know if there is something currently wrong. Even though mine didn't work out, I would still recommend it, especially if purchashing far from home. Let someone else be your eyes and ears when you cannot.

Quick Reply: PPI - does it really work ?