Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are my seats the only ones that are so uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the sports seats and I find them too short (or I'm too tall).
Quite irritating to sit like a C, the shoulder blade getting pushed out by the top curve of the seat.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:54 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The Previous Owner had these installed and I love them. Heated, cooled, very adjustable, Lumbar, etc...and they look cool. They use to have an ad for them on Rennlist. Great seats.

Last edited by M Fig; 09-17-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:30 PM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the so-called Sport seats on my 40th and the lack of lombard support just kills my back. I can usually do no more than 2,000k before I need some serious rest from driving it.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

2000k? Where the heck are you driving? Manitoba?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Bean
4th Gear

M Fig does the cooling function actually work during the summer?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:07 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont' think it really "cools". I have turned it on and heard a fan go on and i suppose if you were on a track and had the AC turned off it would be better than nothing, but it's not as noticable as the heat function.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Yeah, but what about the comfort seats? I have a pair, and they kill me. Argh. Need GT3s.

What's the closest thing to a GT3 seat without a fixed back? I actually use my rear seats occasionally for luggage and passengers, too, not all that infrequently
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the late response guys. I was out skiing today with my wife (getting blown around by 40 to 50 mph winds actually, and dealing with the resultant insane wind chill - like about 5 below.)

Mark, you seem to have hit the nail on the head. It seems as if the rear of my seat is just to low compared to the front, which seems to really exaggerate the lumbar support in that area. I was sitting in the seats (left and right) and noticed that the very bottom of my back (near the butt) doesn't even touch the seat-back at all. Rather, the area a couple of inches above that is where the back makes firm contact with the seat. And then, higher up, my upper shoulders don't even touch the seat at all. My mid-back area seems to take the entire pressure.

Interestingly, as I said earlier, my wife's Cayman and my '84 have beautiful seats. I can sit in those for hours with no squirming. I squirm after five minutes in the 996.

M Fig, those Recaros look really good. Do you know roughly what they cost?

Brian, I'll take you up on your offer to sit in your car.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I find my standard seats to be rather comfortable, in fact I've spent literally DAYS sitting in them and was shocked that I didn't get cramps or uncomfortable by the end of my trips. I've taken long trips in the past in other cars and gotten cramps going up my legs, lower back, etc, and I think my 99 is the most comfortable seats I've owned.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:50 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

You guys that have standard seats and are in love with them...would you take a picture and show me your seats? I want to see if there might be something different about them compared to mine.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Kolshak
Racer

I'll bet your seats are exactky the same as others but due factors such as posture, age, driving habits, height, etc the standard seats just aren't a good design for a small % of us - especially on road trips. Check with a good trim shop about adding some additional padding under the rear part of the lower section, so it is almost even with the front of the seat and you'll be thrilled.
I started this same thread almost verbatim on a different forum last year after driving my car home from Ga. to Md.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:45 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

Thanks Kolshak, I'm guessing you're right. For some reason I'm the type of driver who hates any sort of middle to lower back support at all. I fly an airplane for a living and I constantly need to adjust the lumbar support all the way down to the minimum position, yet I find quite a few pilots have adjusted the lumbar out quite a way, if not all the way. I don't know how those guys can stand it but we are all different when it comes to comfort.

I may very well try your suggestion. Does the mod push you way up high in the seat to where you feel as if you are sitting almost too high up?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Kolshak
Racer

I didn't do it my car because it only bother me on long drives. I do use a 2 inch piece of memory foam to level out the bottom of the seat for longer hauls and it works great - no back pain.
The person who actually added the extra cushion into the seat said it worked wonders - he did both driver & passenger sides. With the seat all the way down he still had plenty of headroom. Lot cheaper then replacing the seats.
Good luck!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:40 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Maybe it makes a difference that I am 5'8" and 165lbs(?). The seat seems to fit me like a glove. I spent a lot of time on adjusting my seating position.

I'm sure you guys have stumbled across the guidlines that are out there for supposedly the "perfect" posiiton to sit in, as written by race/performance drivers I think. Anyway, they just talk about distance to the pedals and seat height and stuff. First thing they recommend the seat be as low as possible, and close enough to the pedals so that when fully depressed, your leg will still have a slight bend in it. The seat back should be fairly upright, and when your shoulders are pushed back into the seat, your wrists should be able to rest on the top of the wheel with hands hanging over - with fully outstretched arms - so when you are at 9 and 3, your arms would be slightly bent. If you are a little too far or close to the wheel for this position, you should adjust the seat back angle to fine-tune it. Most people sit too far back btw.

Now, I understand that these guidlines are more for being in the perfect position to sit balanced and in control of the car in all situations, however I think maybe it would be a good starting point for comfort. From here all there is to worry about it the angle of the seat bottom. My seat has a slight upward angle, but not too much that it lifts my legs too much.

Well, all that stuff I wrote probably doesn't apply to some people anyway, who may simply have body shapes/types that aren't very compatible with certain seats. Hell I don't know I'm just rambling.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i'm 5'6'' and i have the stadard seat....... comfortable, but the sport seats are just heaven especially with lumbar........ i wish i had the lumbar support............

Quick Reply: Are my seats the only ones that are so uncomfortable?