Sponsored by:

High-speed stall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
Same here. I was told that leaving it in 1st with the clutch in is hard on the clutch release bearing, as well as being potentially dangerous if you were rear-ended and your foot slipped off the clutch.

The release bearing is designed to last far longer than your clutch will. This is not to say that they do not fail once in awhile. Like your wheel bearings, they are designed to be used. Each and every time you shift from neutral to any gear while the engine is running and the car is not moving, you are using the synco to its maximum. Therefore, your logic of wearing out the release bearing by using it, should apply to the syncro's also?

I wonder which is easier and cheaper to replace?

Ever been at a stop light or toll booth and seen an 18 wheeler coming up behind you at full speed? How much longer will it take you to get your car moving if you are sitting there in neutral?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That's it, I'm selling the cars. I can't take it anymore. In gear? In neutral? Am I breaking the law? Am I wearing down the cltuch? ARGHHHHH!H!!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:19 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911

Not to mention that it is not only unsafe to sit at a light in neutral, but it is illegal in many states.

I had a quick look at the IL and CA DMV sites and I couldn't find this, though both have rules against coasting down hills.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

The release bearing is designed to last far longer than your clutch will. This is not to say that they do not fail once in awhile. Like your wheel bearings, they are designed to be used. Each and every time you shift from neutral to any gear while the engine is running and the car is not moving, you are using the synco to its maximum. Therefore, your logic of wearing out the release bearing by using it, should apply to the syncro's also?

I wonder which is easier and cheaper to replace?

Ever been at a stop light or toll booth and seen an 18 wheeler coming up behind you at full speed? How much longer will it take you to get your car moving if you are sitting there in neutral?

(my bolding) That's only true if you push the clutch and then immediately change to a gear from a standstill. If you hold the clutch for a second or two, the input shaft will spin down, and the gears will be stationary, and you won't hear or feel a "clunk" when you engage 1st. This is how people started their cars in the days before 1st gear synchros.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by NNH
(my bolding) That's only true if you push the clutch and then immediately change to a gear from a standstill. If you hold the clutch for a second or two, the input shaft will spin down, and the gears will be stationary, and you won't hear or feel a "clunk" when you engage 1st. This is how people started their cars in the days before 1st gear synchros.

So, would you suggest that your teenage daughter sit at a stop light in the city in neutral or in gear, ready to move and what would you do about that semi coming up fast behind you? Remember, you have to wait a few seconds to put it in gear.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The way I do it when at a stop light is put it in neutral and then being aware that my light is about the tun to green I engage the clutch, let it spin down, then put in gear. Sounds like the best of both worlds.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

High-speed stalling is a common problem with 350Z owners who have certian short-ram intakes. If you put the car in neutral at high speeds(100+) they will stall. Fortunantly this can be fixed by not putting it in neutral.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

So, would you suggest that your teenage daughter sit at a stop light in the city in neutral or in gear, ready to move and what would you do about that semi coming up fast behind you? Remember, you have to wait a few seconds to put it in gear.
I would recommend that she follow LVDell's method. I would hope that my teen daughter had the sense to recognise that there is a time to wait for a moment before engaging gear so as to protect the synchro, and a time to hurry up to avoid the semi.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont want to start a little war here because I respect your opinion and you obviously have a LOT of experience working on our cars.

To your point, at a red light and a semi is coming from behind... yeah you have to put it in gear but what is in front of you? Another car? Traffic going across? All sounds pretty dangerous, and how often does it really happen (never happened to me)?

... is the ICV easy to get to? I think that might be the culprit...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by cohare
I dont want to start a little war here because I respect your opinion and you obviously have a LOT of experience working on our cars.

To your point, at a red light and a semi is coming from behind... yeah you have to put it in gear but what is in front of you? Another car? Traffic going across? All sounds pretty dangerous, and how often does it really happen (never happened to me)?

... is the ICV easy to get to? I think that might be the culprit...

It is located on the left side of your 99C2 throttlebody. It is the larger of the 2 devices on the left side. Remove the electrical connection and then the 2 screws that hold the ICV onto the body. Careful with the gasket as you will reuse it. Remove the ICV and saturate with carb cleaner. Carefully move the vertical valve inside it to make sure it is not stuck. Reinstall and you are good to go.

Jim
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

I take it no one here has ever been hijacked or knows of no one who has or has never witnessed someone killed being rearended by another vehicle? Like a person who has lost someone to a drunk driver might preach against drinking and driving, I suspect that if you had, my recommendation for keeping your distance from cars iin front of you while stopped and keeping the car in gear at all times might be more understandable.

On the technical side, are you people who have problems getting the shifter into first maybe being to gentle with it. You should force it in as necessary and it will gradually become as easy to shift into as any other gear.

As for Porsche Dealers claiming that it is normal not being able to go into 1st gear, ask them why the manual states that you can shift from " 2nd to 1st at 40 mph or 4100 rpm's"

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 01-04-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I take it no one here has ever been hijacked or knows of no one who has or has never witnessed someone killed being rearended by another vehicle? Like a person who has lost someone to a drunk driver might preach against drinking and driving, I suspect that if you had, my recommendation for keeping your distance from cars iin front of you while stopped and keeping the car in gear at all times might be more understandable.

On the technical side, are you people who have problems getting the shifter into first maybe being to gentle with it. You should force it in as necessary and it will gradually become as easy to shift into as any other gear.

As for Porsche Dealers claiming that it is normal not being able to go into 1st gear, ask them why the manual states that you can shift from " 2nd to 1st at 40 kph or 4100 rpm's"
Now your sounding like the ADT commercials around the holidays talking about that too many times they get calls from people that just had thier house broken into, yada, yada, yada......

By the way, I know I for one am ALWAYS aware of my surroundings and constanting think about crap like carjacks, etc, in these cars. Always leave room to "get away" if I see something out of place and always monitor "poeple" on foot aware of any "changes in direction". But when it comes right down to it, if I don't jump the gun and haul @ss on a situation BEFORE it comes to ahead, I am the first one to get the F$CK outta the car and give it right over to ANYBODY with a gun! I have insurnace for my life but not nine lives.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:12 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by LVDell
Now your sounding like the ADT commercials around the holidays talking about that too many times they get calls from people that just had thier house broken into, yada, yada, yada......

By the way, I know I for one am ALWAYS aware of my surroundings and constanting think about crap like carjacks, etc, in these cars. Always leave room to "get away" if I see something out of place and always monitor "poeple" on foot aware of any "changes in direction". But when it comes right down to it, if I don't jump the gun and haul @ss on a situation BEFORE it comes to ahead, I am the first one to get the F$CK outta the car and give it right over to ANYBODY with a gun! I have insurnace for my life but not nine lives.
You and me both.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
jeff_c
Instructor

Ok...so is the answer for me to sell my 6 speed and get a tip?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:12 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff_c
Ok...so is the answer for me to sell my 6 speed and get a tip?
I would never recommend that. EVER...

Quick Reply: High-speed stall?