Sponsored by:

High-speed stall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by s14roller
Not sure what the reason is but it's also happened to me before in other cars I've owned...only when going from WOT to neutal. I wouldnt worry about it to be honest. Sounds like cars just dont like that for whatever reason...probably similiar to if someone just ran hard for 2 miles and just stopped instead of slowing down. Body would respond better if you slow down first...
no- there is a reason, a car is not organic.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Coasting on the highway at high speeds???!!!

I have driven a manual all my driving life and can't think of a reason to do this. Ever.

I would suggest this is incredibly dangerous. Once in Neutral you lose a significant amount of control of the car (because you no longer have power available imeediately if you need it) and if you need to get it back into gear quickly for some reason, you have just lost valuable time in doing so.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Coasting on the highway at high speeds???!!!

I have driven a manual all my driving life and can't think of a reason to do this. Ever.

I would suggest this is incredibly dangerous. Once in Neutral you lose a significant amount of control of the car (because you no longer have power available imeediately if you need it) and if you need to get it back into gear quickly for some reason, you have just lost valuable time in doing so.

These are probably the same guys who put their car in neutral at a stop light and then wonder why they have syncro problems later on.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, it was while coasting up to a stop sign/light, still in 6th, then putting it
into neutral as I was braking.....I dont believe anybody was actually "coasting
on the highway" as you put it.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, not one person mentioned they were on the Highway. So it's official, no one knows why this happens.

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Actually, it was while coasting up to a stop sign/light, still in 6th, then putting it
into neutral as I was braking.....I dont believe anybody was actually "coasting
on the highway" as you put it.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Exactly, not one person mentioned they were on the Highway. So it's official, no one knows why this happens.

The pesron who started this thread stated "high-speed stall" and "at highway speeds" and that they were on 9W. YOU aklso stated "while coasting from high speeds".
Old 01-03-2007, 05:09 PM
jeff_c
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche

Actually, I did mention it happened as I was coasting down a long hill and yes there was a red light at the bottom. I didn't realize I was breaking any rules of driving with a clutch. However, the next time it occurred I just happened to be accelerating up through the pattern and I had to pause in between shifts because someone cut me off...and it stalled.

So...let's assume you are never supposed to be ever caught out of gear with the car moving more than 30 mph but that it can happen...should the car stall out?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:13 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by jeff_c
Actually, I did mention it happened as I was coasting down a long hill and yes there was a red light at the bottom. I didn't realize I was breaking any rules of driving with a clutch. However, the next time it occurred I just happened to be accelerating up through the pattern and I had to pause in between shifts because someone cut me off...and it stalled.

So...let's assume you are never supposed to be ever caught out of gear with the car moving more than 30 mph but that it can happen...should the car stall out?

No, the car should never stall in those conditions (or any other conditions). Do you have a LWFW? The stock dual mass flywheel should keep the engine spinning. If you have a scanner, log what the throttle position sensor does when it happens.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I restate that no one stated this happened on the Highway just at High and Highway Speeds.

We just want to know why this happens why do folks have to go through so much crap sometimes for an answer to a question? We asked for Help not Hate.

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
The pesron who started this thread stated "high-speed stall" and "at highway speeds" and that they were on 9W. YOU aklso stated "while coasting from high speeds".
Old 01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

On the egas cars, I would suspect the TPS and on the 99C2, I would suspect the ICV.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
These are probably the same guys who put their car in neutral at a stop light and then wonder why they have syncro problems later on.
neutral at the light.....as opposed to what? Am I missing something here?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Same here. I almost always put the car in Neutral at a stop light. Driving manual transmissions for almost 12 years. Ross
Old 01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am guessing as opposed to leaving it in 1st with the clutch in.....I normally
put it in neutral if it is going to be a while.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

In gear at all times. Why would anyone put the car in neutral, anyway? Putting iit n neutral and releaseing the clutch will only allow the gears to spin unecessarily and require use of the syncro everytime you put it back in gear. You might as well turn off the engine at the same time. The pressure plate is much more durable than are the synco's. No wonder so many complain that they cannot get the car into first at 30 mph.

Not to mention that it is not only unsafe to sit at a light in neutral, but it is illegal in many states.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
I am guessing as opposed to leaving it in 1st with the clutch in.....I normally
put it in neutral if it is going to be a while.

Same here. I was told that leaving it in 1st with the clutch in is hard on the clutch release bearing, as well as being potentially dangerous if you were rear-ended and your foot slipped off the clutch.

Quick Reply: High-speed stall?