Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying a car w/ a replaced engine.....??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Buying a car w/ a replaced engine.....??

I just found out this morning that the car I was looking at buying has had it's engine replaced. It's an '03 w/20k mi. on it. The Porsche Dealer that sold the car new did the work (The Collection of Coral Gables, FL) in Nov. of '05, with 13k miles on the car. There's no record of why the engine was changed. The AC Compressor, Alternator, and water pump was also replaced, standard proceedure for Porsche replacement engines he said.

The car is a red/tan 6 speed Targa. I've been comparing it to another one just like it, but it only has 6k miles on it w/ no engine swap.

What'da ya think? Should this be reason to walk? One part of me says that it's a plus, newer engine and such. Plus...the service manager at the dealership said he's never ever seen one yet that needed TWO engine replacements in the same car. Is it a plus that it's "out of the way"? Or is it a "lemon"? The car seems to have had excellent, routine service before the swap.

But...man is it ever hard to pay so much money for a car that has already had to have an engine replaced!!:-) In '04, a water leak also forced the replacement of some sort of computer nodule...said that wasn't "uncommon".

Problem is... now, I'm scared to buy one, out of warranty, that's NOT had it's engine replaced!! :-)

Should I wait for another car? I mean, it's hard to buy a car that's this new, and expensive, that's had issues like this. Porsche maintence idiosyncrasies are one thing, but, god almighty, this seems alittle "over the pale" to me.

Your thoughts please...anyone?

Regards,
David Cate
ps...30 year P-car enthusiast, have owned 5 over the years, from '75 (head studs) up to, and including, 993. Never owned a 996, but want to!!! So I'm not easily rattled, but...my gosh...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

New engine shouldnt even be a concern, It shoudnt be a making or breaking point for the deal.
pm me the vin ill check the history. if you like the car and the price is right (and you have a ppi perfromed ) I wouldnt think twice just over the new engine
Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I concur. If the engine was replaced by the dealer with a new engine and it works OK (if it hasn't broken by now, then it's probably OK ) then I wouldn't sweat it.

You can find lots of horror stories on this forum on the 996, but I believe that as a rule they are generally pretty reliable, no less so than the 993. And I think you'll find that it is a step-up in refinement from the 993 as well.

If it's a '03 model, then you should be able to get a CPO on it (if you are buying from the dealer). Or you can take the $2K and put it in a money market account against any future repair... odds are, you'll come out ahead.

I bought an '02 cab this past summer, so far, no problems! I love it. Other than the relatively rock-solid price stability of the 993, I prefer the 996 over my former 993, FWIW.

Michael
Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate on the engine.

When buying my car I was torn between two cars - same age, one with higher mileage. I bought the higher milage car as it had the RMS, clutch and transmission all replaced within 15K of me buying it - to me having the new parts was a positive, as I knew that they were in good shape and I wouldn't have to replace them.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:55 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 02 C2 last summer and it had the engine replaced @ 24k miles, I bought it with 31k miles. The new engine had only 7k miles on it. I never had any issues with my car, I got and extended warranty until dec 2010 just in case.... As long as you have all the paperwork from Porsche stating when they replaced the engine you should be fine..
Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
joey c
Pro

i would not say they are as reliable as 993s or 3.2s but i think its a good thing that it was replaced..not to start a debate,but the earliest 993 is 12 years old and 996 is 8yo..my 20year old 3.2 is far better built and more reliable than my boxster s..whatever thats worth i would opt to buy that car with a new or refreshed engine than not..j
Old 12-28-2006, 04:13 PM
ribbonspeakers
Intermediate

To me, a "lemon" is a car w/ the same problem unresolved 3x or more, or w/ any combination of problems beyond a threshold (you decide) per year. If the service record can be confirmed & it's not a lemon (don't count the OEM motor because it was replaced), negotiate the price & buy it!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, when I was looking for a well priced used 996 to go with my Boxster, a replaced engine was exactly what I was looking for. I had heard from my dealer that it extrememely rare to need another engine replacement. Also FWIW (perhaps not relevant in your case) a tip puts less stress on the seals which also prevents some RMS issues.

But it sounds like both cars are pretty low mileage and with the engine replacement on the targa, I would lean heavily towards the added comfort of having the headaches taken care of before you drive the vehicle.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are definitely much better off that with the previous engine. They can replace one even for something as minor as an RMS issue. As part of an RMS, they are supposed to check the crank. If it is out or round then they replace the engine. They also had a production problems with the early 03' cars in that the timing tensioners weren't torqued down properly. Unusally in the first 5K miles they came apart and...a new engine under warrenty. So, there are definitely no negatives. In addition the new motor theyput in will have all the changes that were done up to that time.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
ribbonspeakers
Intermediate

Isn't life great? We get to moan about used cars w/ new engines! I love it!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:11 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
New engine shouldnt even be a concern, It shoudnt be a making or breaking point for the deal.
pm me the vin ill check the history. if you like the car and the price is right (and you have a ppi perfromed ) I wouldnt think twice just over the new engine
I agree with 99's view, but just as a question to 99: Aren't the replaced engines rebuilds - not new?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
I agree with 99's view, but just as a question to 99: Aren't the replaced engines rebuilds - not new?

yes the engines are remanufacutured, but all the parts are new,
new pistons ring bearings heads cams chains oil pump all new even the soft parts, starter alternator water pump harness injectors sensors are new or rebuilt, no reason to fear a reman engine.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:52 PM
s14roller
Racer

I think I posted a similiar thread around 4-5 months back and everyone agreed it was fine. Some people actually said they saw it as a positive.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

a car with a new engine is like a new car..... as long as you get the ppi and it comes with a warr. i wouldn't sweat it.....
Old 12-28-2006, 06:00 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a positive. I would really like it to have a CPO warranty also.That would cinch the deal, total security.

Quick Reply: Buying a car w/ a replaced engine.....??