Sponsored by:

Too Much Brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:38 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Too Much Brake fluid?

Hello: Was looking at my brake fluid reservoir the other day and noticed the fluid is past the MAX line and a little had seeped out of the cap. I last had the brake fluid changed ~1.5 years ago... Car brakes fine, I recently had my front pads changed ~3 months ago. Should I drain some out, or am I due for a flush? The car is not tracked but is a daily driver.

Thanks and happy holidays. Ross
Old 12-27-2006, 01:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Depends on mileage and driving style but at 1.5years your might want to go ahead and flush and fill you fluid. You can easily just remove some fluid by taking some from the reservoir but at 1.5 years I would just replace.

I bled mine after every track event and flush after every season. Now that I am running Catrol SRF then I dont' need to flush but after each season and flush every year.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:50 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like someone added fluid as the pads wore down. With new pads, the reservoir should be full. As your pads wear, the fluid level decreases. No need to top off - that's what the reservoir is designed to do.

Your mechanic should have noticed that and removed some fluid when he replaced the pads. If you don't want to do a flush, just remove some fluid with a turkey baster or syringe.

Quick Reply: Too Much Brake fluid?