pss9 rear rattle noise 996 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006 | 03:20 AM
ab996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pss9 rear rattle noise 996 C4S

Hi,
My car got a pss9 kit and there is some rattle noise coming from the rear system. When the mechanic was installing the kit, there was a black bumpstop fitted on the piston shaft, a concave washer and the rubber boot. It seem like the washer is the one making that noise now that the whole thing was installed. The bumpstop should have hold it in place against the top rubber boot. This washer seems to be there to allow the bumpstop to expand horizontally and to prevent the same bumpstop to go thru the rubber boot inner spacer. The Bilstein instructions are not that clear. I've read almost every posting regarding pss9 noise, but there isn't anything relate to mine. Any information would be great help.
Thanks,
Alfredo
Old 12-26-2006 | 09:43 AM
screameleons
Instructor

I believe you are supposed to reuse a part of the stock suspension that the instructions did not tell you to keep. Search the forum and you should be able to pull up some photos of what you need. I called Bilstein a few times but nobody seems to want to return my call.
Old 12-26-2006 | 11:18 AM
RamVA
Racer

What I did was re-use everything in the rear except the thick rubber piece, the plastic piece it sits under, and the top nut. The new spring with the grey collar on top should sit right under the old mount. According to the shop that did my alignment you can re-use the rubber piece to reduce NVH but it's not necessary. From what I could tell it wouldn't fit quite right anyway and the rubber piece would eventually come apart. Bilstein's directions are mostly useless.

Instructions from my experience here. In particular see "Rear Parts Swap" Steps 3-4:
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-996-1998-2003/303054-996-c2-pss9-install-how-to-diy.html

My guess as to your noise is that the top bolts (jam nuts) aren't on tight enough. You can probably adjust them without disassembly, but you may need to jack the car, get in on stands, then use a jack to compress the rear suspension. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2006 | 01:56 PM
ab996
Intermediate

Hi screameleons and RamVA,
Thanks for the replies. Here is a picture of the rear PSS9 from the Carnewal website with some ugly drawings of mine. Inside the plastic boot (1), there is a concave washer (2) and bellow a rubber bumpstop (3). We pushed the bumpstop as high as possible to hold the washer in place and to prevent rattle, also thinking that the normal shock movement would push the rubber bumpstop ever higher. Apparently, that was not the case. The bumpstop is extremely hard to move up or down in the piston and once is in place, it won't move.
Thanks again,
Alfredo
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: pss9 rear rattle noise 996 C4S