Sponsored by:

Selling your car? Watch out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 05:22 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I was wondering if this guy was on any P-car sites...just tragic!
Yes he was on this site. I knew him. It is very sad indeed. I heard about it from my wife this morning. One of our friends lives in the neighborhood and the girlfriend with Sergio at the time it happened. She ran over to our friends house. Tragic.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:24 PM
ploglet
Pro

Originally Posted by AsianImage
that really sucks...but I have to say...I have sold some of my old cars...and I ALWAYS MEET AT A BUSY LOCATION...PERIOD.

They never ever ever come to my home...I always go to the local HOME DEPOT parking lot..or STARBUCKS or gas station...

What was he thinking? Having 2 guys come to your place...you are asking to be jacked. I am sorry for his death..but you have to practice a little common sense in these things.

really sad story....
He didnt meet at his house, he did meet at a busy spot. The problem I see is meeting that late in the evening. Tragic none the less.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:25 PM
ploglet
Pro

Originally Posted by lanny
Crazy- and this is not the first time I have heard of this in Denver- just sucks altogether
It was in Boulder not in Denver. Pretty big difference. Last homicide was in 2002.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:44 PM
lanny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry -I missed that- I knew of a carjack/murder with an expedition in lafayette (close to boulder for those not in CO) about 2 years ago and was shocked then as well- terrible tragedy no matter where it was I guess
Old 12-19-2006, 06:14 PM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life is too precious. Sorry to hear the sad news! I always have my pals with me wherever I go. Smith & Wesson that is.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 PM
grant911
Pro

It's things like this that make me glad I pay tax dollars to house these waste of life human beings hoping they rot to their death in prison. Sound harsh? Maybe, but this in unbelievable. Killed for a car. My sympathies and prayers for the man's family.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 PM
AsianImage
Racer

yeah..bringing my GLOCK is a good idea..but yeah going alone is also bad news.

rest in peace....

and eff those bastards that shot him for a damn car.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:07 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ploglet
I heard about it from my wife this morning.
I got a call last might from a friend making sure it wasn't me (all the news said was a Porsche involved). It is just awful. My sympathies to his family and g-friend...in our not so little town of Boulder!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AsianImage
you are asking to be jacked. I am sorry for his death..but you have to practice a little common sense in these things.
I must take issue with that. No one asks to be carjacked. "Asking for it" is a blame-the-victim response we all use as a defense mechanism so we can tell ourselves it couldn't happen to us. Well, it could.

No one's judgment is perfect. Sure, you should try to avoid evening meets, and private meets, but we make choices in all those decisions influenced by many factors, like work schedules and geography. It could happen to anyone.

Even carrying your sidearm is no guarantee against crime. Sure, bring it to the meet, but then what do you do when they pull a gun and want your car? (Even though action beats reaction, I'd advise you to let them have your car rather than draw.) There are no guarantees.

My sympathy to the victim's family; let's hope the police catch the killers, and soon,

CP
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Those f'n low-lifes are unbelievable, willing to take another's life for a car. I know what I'm about to say is unproductive and may be insensitive, but in every one of these instances, I can't for the life of me understand why one wouldn't simply just give up the car? If the latest news report is accurate, the owner apparently was shot while trying to wrestle with the suspect for the gun. Why trade your life for your car??? For the sake of your loved ones and friends, please just let them take the car. No material possession is worth your life.

This is just so sad...
Old 12-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you guys posted this, because I would have never thought of something like this! It is very very sad that this happens!!! happened!
I sold my wifes car 2 year ago and had the buyer come to my house...like I said never thought of something like this! I will make sure never to meet at home again and will meet with someone in front of a police station!!
My heart goes out to his family especially around this time of the year....makes something like this (if possible) even harder!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Cold blooded ********. Its only a matter of time until that kind of stuff makes its way up here.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:34 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Damn, I had 4 buyers check out my bimmer at home before I sold it.
I never even thought of that possibility.
I think it really doesn't matter where you meet, anyone could pull off anything anywhere,
especially when he's test driving the car.

Just sick what criminals will do for just a car.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

I don't think the p-owner is to blame in any way for what some soul-less scum would do for a car. Look at some of the convenience store robberies now days. The clerk gives up the money without confrontation...and then gets shot for being a witness. Ever park your porsche in your driveway? What if these same criminals knock on your door? Sad that we have to even worry about these things. Prayers to the family and friends.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
I think it really doesn't matter where you meet, anyone could pull off anything anywhere, especially when he's test driving the car.
This is why you have a friend present. If you go for a test drive, the friend goes with you, not the buyers partner. And for extra security if you feel uneasy, your friend should be armed in the backseat.

Quick Reply: Selling your car? Watch out!