996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Nail in Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In high school and college, I probably had my tires plugged 1000 times and I never complained.

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
I probably plugged over 1,000 tires during high school while working in a garage. We never received one complaint from a customer. I have also plugged many of my own tires due to nails. That said, patching is better, and only plug if the nail is in or near the middle of the tread. Sidewalls obviously can't be fixed at all, and I would not repair anything that is on the outer part of the tread. But, as many people have said, if you are going "normal" highway speeds, or even speeding a bit, but nothing excessive, you should be fine. If you are going to DE events or a track, both of which obviously put much more stress on your tires, throw the current ones away and get new rubber.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMAGNUM
I have my rear michelin Sport CUP plugged and went for 4 track days and 2 Auto X.
Fortunately, the nail was 3 inches from the center, not too close to the side wall.
I see no problem for plug or patch, just ensure you check you tire pressure regularly.
That's taking a risk on a tire that is even CHEAPER than the street tires. But to hear you got 4 tracks days and 2 Auto-X days explains it.......you aren't driving very hard!

MPSC are heat cycled to death after about 4 hard track days. You can use them longer but they aren't the same tire anymore.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Info on Patching

It looks like there are patches that will do the job:

http://www.mz3.net/articles/156.html
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Problem with that link is that the evidence is anecdotal at best. While I agree that a tire might very well last with a plug/patch I am just not taking that calculated risk. And that is what it boils down to. Do you want to take that calculated risk?

Keep in mind this is strictly for city daily driving that I don't find it to be a serious problem where recovery from rapid loss of pressure can be corrected much easier than at 150+mph on the track.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 AM
mkc4s
Intermediate

Consider two events: Event A: you drive with good tires, hit a nail or something, and in few seconds or minutes, one tire is empty or almost empty. Event B: you drive with a plugged tire and the plug fails.

If you say never to use plug, then you think B has a lot higher probability than A. I don't think so, since A happened to me twice in my lifetime. I also used plug few times, and B never happened to me.

If you plug the tire, inspect the plug regularly, and drive slower, you might be safer just because you drive slower.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mkc4s
Consider two events: Event A: you drive with good tires, hit a nail or something, and in few seconds or minutes, one tire is empty or almost empty. Event B: you drive with a plugged tire and the plug fails.

If you say never to use plug, then you think B has a lot higher probability than A. I don't think so, since A happened to me twice in my lifetime. I also used plug few times, and B never happened to me.

If you plug the tire, inspect the plug regularly, and drive slower, you might be safer just because you drive slower.
Your math is all wrong. The probability of A happening is relative to the number of hazzards on the roadway. However, the probability of B happening is much different since the number of plugs is directly related to the tire itself and the number of tires plugged--much smaller number.

You would need to aquire the data for both sets and make a decision from there. I would be willing to bet even though I have ZERO empirical data to support my claim, that there has been AT LEAST one case of a plug not holding. So then take yourself back to scenario A and B. Which one would you feel better about.......slow decrease in tire pressure till empty or rapid loss?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mkc4s
and drive slower....so you are saying it is dangerous? And therefore you should drive your 911 slowly in case it DOES go bang and you plant it in the side of a wall and cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage and.....oh i give up
Old 12-19-2006, 11:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

spider......you hit the nail on the head (pun intended). This debate could very well be just like the oil debate of 0W-40 v. 15W-50. Nobody on either side will be convinced otherwise.

As you said...... "oh I give up". With you on that one
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
hamilton
Instructor

AAAARGH! I pulled out of the garage this morning and noticed that the car was REEEALY pulling to the left. Flat tire. This is the fourth one (in three cars) in two months. We have a lot of new construction in the area...

We'll see what the dealer says.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

damn hamilton! that sucks!!! I am on my 4th tire (2 on the CAB, 1 on the GT3, 1 on the Cayenne) in 3 months in a new construction neighborhood as well. Really chaps my ***
Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Lightbulb

Dutchie,

I looked up whether you have PSM, and since you do I will tell you that you MAY have problems with undesired PSM intervention if you replace the rears with a different tire than your front tires. I had that problem with Potenzas in back and Continentals in front. But I have a 4S so it might have also had something to do with the 4wd.

Good luck with your problem!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Well, I got my tire patched and balanced... paid $45. I will keep the car at under 100MPH, which I probably should anyhow given the shower of tickets I received in the last couple of months... see this as a preventative thing to me!

I do have on emore question... I have some 'junk/sticky stuff' on my rims from where balance weights used to be. Any suggestions on how I take that off?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I use 3M adhesive remover. It is in a aeresol can and is paint friendly.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:20 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dell, I need some of that as well.

Pepboys type product or Homedepot?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Thanks Dell, I need some of that as well.

Pepboys type product or Homedepot?
I picked it up at AutoZone or PepBoys (can't remember which). Here's a pic of it.......
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Nail in Tire