996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Nail in Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:45 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wont plug/patch/repair customers tires (porsceh also doesnt "allow" us to) BUT i would never drive a reapired tire further then a place to buy a new undamaged one
just my opinion but my life and my friends and familys lifes are worth more then a tire

Last edited by 99firehawk; 12-18-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:54 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have a look at this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires-techpage-1/77.shtml

I had a puncture repaired with the combination plug and patch method. i believe that most tire shops repair this way now. Even Wal Mart did on a tire for my daughter.

My opinion (based on nothing but my thinking about it) is that a properly repaired tire with a plug and patch should be fine for anything other than track use, but only if you are sure that you caught the puncture in time to know that you didn't spend any time driving the car with that tire being at low pressure. Low pressure can damage the tire from the extra heat generated.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:56 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesml3
Yea, that's a bunch of bunk. They most certainly CAN plug it. Here are your choices:

1) Leave the nail in there. Probably pretty annoying since you'll be pumping the tire up all the time.

2) Have someone plug it. Very inexpensive. Tire will lose its Z rating, however. If you're not driving at ludicrous speed (reference SpaceBalls) you'll be fine. I've been driving my C2 around for a year with a plug in the left rear tire.

3) Patch it. This is where they remove the tire from the wheel and patch it from the inside. Once the patch is in place, it'll need to be Road Force balanced again. Tire will retain its Z rating.

4) Replace the tire. You'll have to replace BOTH rear tires and that seems ridiculous to me.

None of these options affects your alignment.

-Charles
You seem pretty confident about the speed rating being retained if the tire is patched. Can I ask why? If your information is rock solid, you might save me a bunch of money someday.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As a driver with more than 1.5 million miles under his belt, I have NEVER had a problem with a plugged and patched tire, some of which have lasted 30,000+ miles. If properly done, the repair is as stong as the rest of the tire, in all situatons, including track.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:23 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

I agree with repairing the tire with a proper plug. I've done this dozens of times over the last 20 years without one issue. The plugs have always outlasted the tires. These days, I use a kit from North Shore Labs - Safety Seal . The tools are first rate and the plugs are easier to set than the traditional cheap-o sets found in automotive parts stores.

I just pulled another nail from the front passenger tire on my 993 last week. Cleaned the hole, set the plug and refilled the tire. Perfectly fine for normal driving. That same tire already had a plug from last year

Andreas
Old 12-18-2006, 06:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
As a driver with more than 1.5 million miles under his belt, I have NEVER had a problem with a plugged and patched tire, some of which have lasted 30,000+ miles. If properly done, the repair is as stong as the rest of the tire, in all situatons, including track.
You had me up until the track part. I have absolutely NO desire having a "patched" tire when tires take the abuse they do over the course of a track weekend. Not even close to "real world" daily driver conditions. Anthing less than perfect--especially the one thing holding me to the track--will not do.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:26 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Cool, but, again, how? I understand why a plugged tire loses its speed rating. I've installed plugs. All they do is keep the air in. How is a patch different?

(PS I've got about the same number of miles on me, too. Never thought about it until I read your post. Now I feel old... thanks.... )
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Cool, but, again, how? I understand why a plugged tire loses its speed rating. I've installed plugs. All they do is keep the air in. How is a patch different?

(PS I've got about the same number of miles on me, too. Never thought about it until I read your post. Now I feel old... thanks.... )

Most damage from a nail (short of the size of a railroad spike) does not leave a measurable hole in the rubber when it is removed. Using the correct sized plug alone makes most of these repairs perminant and worse case senerio is that the tire may leak air very slowly over time but will never rupture or blowwout in that area, especially with radial tires. In most cases, this does not happen. Patching the tire from the inside is also, by itself, a permanent, leak free repair for the remaining life of the tread. Combining the 2 is just insurance.

Most shops insert the plug dry (just lubricant), while the better shops will coat the plug with the same glue used on an internal patch. This again is not necessary but gives piece of mind to some. Be cautious of shops that use too small of a plug. They need to use a large reamer with large plug. The smaller plug is gennerally fine, but a larger one is even better.

My 996 is sitting the garage with 12,000 miles on my Bridgestones that got a nail in the right rear tire the day after I put new tires on. Since I was travelling, I put in about 1/4 can of fix-a-flat (which chemically bonds the rubber) and have not leaked since. I often use fix-a-flat first rather than run out to plug and patch. These tires have withstood 140 mph+ and 18 hours of non stop driving as well as the pothole and frost heaves readily locatable here in Chicagoland. . Use only a 1/4 of the fix-a-flat and drive immediately for about 10 minutes and you have absolutely no balance problems. I only recall a few times it did not stop the flat permanently.

Remember, that tread rubber is not grainy or directional in construction as the sidewalls sometime are, so a hole would almost be impossible to ever get larger even if untreated.

As far as speed rating. I guess if I needed to cover my *** and I sold tires, I would also recommend replacement of the tire. Just my experience.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found out I have a nail in my SUV tire so I just ordered two new tires. I drive too fast to be messing around with plugs. Get a patch instead if you don't want to purchase a new tire.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MY worry with repairing a tire is if the object damaged the belts and later down the road at hogh way speeds the belt let go.

see http://www.hogantire.com/images/tcTireConstruction.gif

for me saving 400$ for a tire isnt worth it, but thats only my opinon
Old 12-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For street driving, get what I call a "mushroom plugpatch". These things are fitted from the inside, leaving the "head" on the inside of the tire while the plug is pulled through the hole. With this method the tire will not leak and the plug can not escape.

Ciao,

J.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:11 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably plugged over 1,000 tires during high school while working in a garage. We never received one complaint from a customer. I have also plugged many of my own tires due to nails. That said, patching is better, and only plug if the nail is in or near the middle of the tread. Sidewalls obviously can't be fixed at all, and I would not repair anything that is on the outer part of the tread. But, as many people have said, if you are going "normal" highway speeds, or even speeding a bit, but nothing excessive, you should be fine. If you are going to DE events or a track, both of which obviously put much more stress on your tires, throw the current ones away and get new rubber.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You think I can get a plug or patch for this?

Only kidding!

I've plugged tires with no issues, as long as the nail/screw was in the main field of the tread.

Be warned that your stealership is probably one of the more expensive places to buy new tires.... go figure!

The shredded Kuhmo was the rear off of my 986 after it completely failed due to inside shoulder wear.

Even with this level of failure, my wife drove 15 miles home at freeway speeds without loosing control or damaging the rim.

Absolutely no idea how she managed that!

Chris.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 AM
MTB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my rear michelin Sport CUP plugged and went for 4 track days and 2 Auto X.
Fortunately, the nail was 3 inches from the center, not too close to the side wall.
I see no problem for plug or patch, just ensure you check you tire pressure regularly.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
BruceP
Drifting

All interesting, but all anecdotal, I gotta say. If I get a puncture that's deep enough to compromise a belt, I think I'll still replace the tire. I drive too fast too often to leave it to chance.

Quick Reply: Nail in Tire