996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Consumer reports was right about wax

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:09 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think about 99% of people who owned a black car say the same thing. Including me! My last was triple black and going from that to silver/red could not have been more dramatic. My interior always looks clean and I can go weeks without a full detailing (the kind I used to have to do every weekend with black) and the exterior paint still shines bright day or night. Anti static sprays have made a big difference as well. AS sprays and Claying are the two most valuable detailing tools I have to keep the car 10/10's for days and days.

As far as Turtle Wax, don't knock it. Look at the ingredients in it and compare to 99% of all over the counter and mail order products. The basic ingredients are almost all identical to Black Magic, Mother's, Meguiar's and the expensive boutiques. The amounts of those ingredients are more concetrated in the boutiques and "diluted" in the over the counter products to curb the potential for novice disaster. But there is no magic ingredient in any one brand, don't believe the hype. Give me the proper swirl removal pads and polishes, some varying grades of clay and I'll make a Turtle Wax products car look EXACTLY as good as an identical car prepared in Zaino, Rejex, Klasse, Poorboys, FK1, Clear Kote, Souveran etc.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
As far as Turtle Wax, don't knock it. Look at the ingredients in it and compare to 99% of all over the counter and mail order products. The basic ingredients are almost all identical to Black Magic, Mother's, Meguiar's and the expensive boutiques. The amounts of those ingredients are more concetrated in the boutiques and "diluted" in the over the counter products to curb the potential for novice disaster. But there is no magic ingredient in any one brand, don't believe the hype. Give me the proper swirl removal pads and polishes, some varying grades of clay and I'll make a Turtle Wax products car look EXACTLY as good as an identical car prepared in Zaino, Rejex, Klasse, Poorboys, FK1, Clear Kote, Souveran etc.
You should go post in the concours forum, and then sit back and wait for the retaliatory strike from the on-site 'pro detailers'.

Of course, if I was making a living off of detailing, I might want to put some FUD out there about which obscure products & processes you had to use for that 'special' finish........
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

what's FUD?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Short for Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

You might suggest that there are things about certain products which just might be bad for your cars paintwork for example, or that some products are longer lasting because of some undisclosed compound... etc etc

It's a common sales tactic to try and dislodge people from their existing product choices.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Give me the proper swirl removal pads and polishes, some varying grades of clay and I'll make a Turtle Wax products car look EXACTLY as good as an identical car prepared in Zaino, Rejex, Klasse, Poorboys, FK1, Clear Kote, Souveran etc.
I'll take that bet...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:34 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Believe me I've used all the products I listed on black cars like yours(black is where you see what's good and what isn't).
I have friends who have detailed high end cars for over nearly 20 years and they couldn't tell a difference between Zaino,Klasse,etc. or when I just used Meguair's or Mothers and both of those over the counter lines are no better than the recent offerings from good ole' Turtle Wax. There has been a sharp increase in sales of car care products with the whole aftermarket car explosion. Alll the big car care products have responded and want a piece of the millions enthusiasts are spending. And with most enthusiasts cleaning their cars very often and spending many hours, the variations in durability aren't even that revelant, an enthusisast can't help himself but to clean his car... some more. He'll never leave it be for weeks or months to test the durability.
Turtle Wax products and the "lower end" lines from Pepboys may require a little bit (lil bit) more elbow grease and durability is not as good as Zaino or Poorboys, Meguiars but you would have to be a very very experienced detailer to eyeball which car had which product. Now that would be a great Consumer Reports test.
Which car has $300+ in Zaino/Poorboys/Clear kote and which has $100 in over the counter stuff?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you absolutely, perfectlap!
It's the surface itself to begin with, and the process and technique that makes more of a difference.
I can't understand how people are led to believe in products costing 5 or 10 times more!?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:43 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I too have tried all of the products as mentioned above and can tell the difference between most of them. The product I use not only looks better, but lasts longer. I washed my Black car 3 times this summer! We just did my friends Ferrari 550 and the guy almost lost it...there is my friend a difference.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

I'm pulling up a comfy chair and getting some popcorn for this one........
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I'm pulling up a comfy chair and getting some popcorn for this one........
If you furnish the popcorn, I'll supply the drinks!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Yea...where in the Blue Hell is Dell when we need him He may be just tuckered out after the CarFax thread
Old 12-20-2006, 09:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy Crap.....What in the Blue Hell is going on in here!?!?!?!?!

It took Tim this long to break out the popcorn?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be fun to go to a concours event and look at all the 996s and see who polishes with what products and then compare them.

As for me, I'm stilling finishing a bottle of Liquid Glass (which has to be years old). Who am I kidding? I don't even wash the car myself in the winter up here. I think the hand car wash guys I use polish the car with Zymol.

However, I like what I've heard from the Zaino supporters and will be giving it a shot when I need more wax/polish/whatever in the summer.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Holy Crap.....What in the Blue Hell is going on in here!?!?!?!?!

It took Tim this long to break out the popcorn?
Now that's what I'm talking about
Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Now that's what I'm talking about

Quick Reply: Consumer reports was right about wax