Sponsored by:

springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006 | 01:58 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adrian
What are you getting in the kit?
Is this a straight from the factory supplied kit or something else?
I would be interested in the part numbers of the major kit components. Technically the ROW Porsche factory M030 kit should take you down to the ROW ride heights if all the same components are used.
I have not seen variations in ride heights here in Europe among the M030 996s done at the factory.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Yes, the kit is a Porsche part number, and is available directly from Porsche dealers. The kit includes front and rear springs, shocks, sway bars, sway bar bushings, and bumpstops for one pair of shocks, I don't remember if they were front or rear.

I don't have my actual part numbers readily available, and the kits vary according to whether the car is C2, C4, Coupe or Cab, manual tranny or Tip, and probably 3.4L vs 3.6L (which you probably already know).

There are threads here in the 996 List that contain many posts about the inconsistency of the ROW 030 lowering.

As I mentioned, my lowering measurements are against 6 year old springs vs lowering differences between two new sets of springs. However, I don't know if that is actually a factor. I suppose that if springs sag over time, that might explain my car's lesser drop. That is why I mentioned the measurement from paving to top of fender opening, as that would take old vs new springs out of the equation. Do you have any paving to fender lip measurements for other ROW 030 cars to compare to those of my car?
Old 12-14-2006 | 02:33 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
Yes, the kit is a Porsche part number, and is available directly from Porsche dealers. The kit includes front and rear springs, shocks, sway bars, sway bar bushings, and bumpstops for one pair of shocks, I don't remember if they were front or rear.

I don't have my actual part numbers readily available, and the kits vary according to whether the car is C2, C4, Coupe or Cab, manual tranny or Tip, and probably 3.4L vs 3.6L (which you probably already know).

There are threads here in the 996 List that contain many posts about the inconsistency of the ROW 030 lowering.

As I mentioned, my lowering measurements are against 6 year old springs vs lowering differences between two new sets of springs. However, I don't know if that is actually a factor. I suppose that if springs sag over time, that might explain my car's lesser drop. That is why I mentioned the measurement from paving to top of fender opening, as that would take old vs new springs out of the equation. Do you have any paving to fender lip measurements for other ROW 030 cars to compare to those of my car?
I will need to do some research, but I do need to know the kit contents. Doesn't matter which model because it will provide a reference point. This is obviously a kit sold in the USA, but you do not mention things like the compensation plates. There is a 3mm and a 6.5mm plate. The springs you received should have a colour coded dot, white or green, telling you which plate to use. Did you follow the workshop manual for the installation?
Porsche springs do not sag by the way.
I use the correct measurement points for ride height measured Curb weight. I place no faith whatsover in paving to lip measurements unless the ground is perfectly level and every car measured has the same weight and weight distribution.
Anyway I need to check into these things and I won't be able to do any physical checks until my 996 with M030 comes out of winter storage.
However I will certainly look into it. Looks like the 996 M030 is as complicated as the 964 and 993 series.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-14-2006 | 03:53 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Adrian,
There was a thread recently where Dell posted part numbers for a couple of the different ROW 030 kits. Should be able to find it fairly quickly with the search function.
As for the paving to lip measurement, I agree, and tire wear would also effect the measurement.
Old 12-14-2006 | 03:54 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
hey austin..... thanks for the info.... oh btw, how much of a drop will i be expecting with your springs? looking for a set as well..... trying to decide what to get right now....

On a stock suspension set (standard like new shock bushings/mounts) 30mm (about 1.2") of lowering from the TRG spring set, consistent for front and rear over the factory new specs. The TRG springs fit all the C2 variations; the all wheel drive will have a different fit of course.

We do recommend replacing the shocks if they are more than 50k miles or 5 years old they will be nearing worn out, additionally, it's a while-you're-in-there type of opportunity.
Old 12-14-2006 | 04:31 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

What are you getting in the kit?
Is this a straight from the factory supplied kit or something else?
I would be interested in the part numbers of the major kit components. Technically the ROW Porsche factory M030 kit should take you down to the ROW ride heights if all the same components are used.
I have not seen variations in ride heights here in Europe among the M030 996s done at the factory.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Have a look at http://www.renntech.org/forums/lofiv....php/t193.html
for an example
Old 12-14-2006 | 05:13 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DCP
Thanks and yes that is just one example that Loren took out of the parts catalogue. I have taken a quick look at the parts catalogue myself and I have to drag out the old one as well to see what the 98/99 and 00 996s had because there are different part numbers for each model year and then for the Coupe, Cab, Targa etc. Why and what are the differences?
However this really does not help me. I need to know what is in these kits being sold into the USA for each model year.
Are people being sold an 02 kit for a Coupe and installing it on a 99 Cab?
Do people know they might have to change compensation plates? Are they getting the right springs?
I have done this before on numerous previous models of Porsche and there is guaranteed to be more than one answer and this appears more complicated as well.
Nothing is Black and white when it comes to Porsche and mixing specific versions like the sports suspension for the ROW to a version that was not supposed to have it. Something is always overlooked and the original difference in standard ride height between ROW and the USA may also play a part.
It will take some time to work through this.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-14-2006 | 05:39 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Thanks and yes that is just one example that Loren took out of the parts catalogue. I have taken a quick look at the parts catalogue myself and I have to drag out the old one as well to see what the 98/99 and 00 996s had because there are different part numbers for each model year and then for the Coupe, Cab, Targa etc. Why and what are the differences?
However this really does not help me. I need to know what is in these kits being sold into the USA for each model year.
Are people being sold an 02 kit for a Coupe and installing it on a 99 Cab?
Do people know they might have to change compensation plates? Are they getting the right springs?
I have done this before on numerous previous models of Porsche and there is guaranteed to be more than one answer and this appears more complicated as well.
Nothing is Black and white when it comes to Porsche and mixing specific versions like the sports suspension for the ROW to a version that was not supposed to have it. Something is always overlooked and the original difference in standard ride height between ROW and the USA may also play a part.
It will take some time to work through this.
Ciao,
Adrian.
I have been toying with making this change and have looked at a dealer's website for parts cost. If you look at http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=996sport and http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=996sport you will see that, first, there is no Porsche part number in sight, and second, there appear to be a different kit for the various models. At least this dealer is well aware that there are differences, as I am sure most are.
Old 12-14-2006 | 05:44 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

anyone have pics of before and after with the ROW M030 drop?
Old 12-14-2006 | 05:45 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DCP
I have been toying with making this change and have looked at a dealer's website for parts cost. If you look at http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=996sport and http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=996sport you will see that, first, there is no Porsche part number in sight, and second, there appear to be a different kit for the various models. At least this dealer is well aware that there are differences, as I am sure most are.
Yeah one hopes, but none of this is good enough for me. If there is a variation in lowering levels there has to be a reason. If somebody expects 20mm and only gets 13mm then somebody else gets 25mm it would be nice to find out why.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-14-2006 | 05:59 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Adrian here's the Panorama article. It is titled "996 Suspensions Analyzed". Part numbers and physical descriptions of the different parts lie within.
Old 12-14-2006 | 06:10 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Adrian,
Perhaps the majority of the difference in lowering we are reporting here may be due to:
how our shade-tree measurements are taken.
wheel size, 17" vs 18".
tire size: 265/35 vs 285/30.
tire pressure.
tire wear.
fuel on board.
Cab vs Coupe.
etc.

Question: Why would a 996 sit 3/16" lower on the driver side than the passenger side (with no one in the car)? (Factory installed suspension).
Old 12-14-2006 | 06:15 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
Adrian here's the Panorama article. It is titled "996 Suspensions Analyzed". Part numbers and physical descriptions of the different parts lie within.
Thanks Russ I have it already. This provides some good info for sure, but only covers what things should be, not what they actually are. I am more interested to know exactly what people are fitting to their 996s. My first question is:
What is the compensation plate colour code of the springs removed as compared to the ones fitted? Was it white off and green on?
Are the all the kit purchasers getting real ROW M030 or the USA Sport springs with ROW M030 struts and shocks?
It is going to take quite sometime to gather all this up. Won't happen overnight.
I need to get it right for my 996 book, so I will take my time and hopefully that will give others the opportunity to provide me the physical information I need.
I will also have to get my 996 apart to check what Porche fitted to mine to give me a correct model year 99 Coupe reference point. I will have to call friends with other models and the ROW M030 option fitted to see if they can take a peek as well.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-14-2006 | 09:41 PM
exlondoner
Racer

TechArt Springs over here
Old 12-15-2006 | 04:00 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
Adrian,
Perhaps the majority of the difference in lowering we are reporting here may be due to:
how our shade-tree measurements are taken.
wheel size, 17" vs 18".
tire size: 265/35 vs 285/30.
tire pressure.
tire wear.
fuel on board.
Cab vs Coupe.
etc.

Question: Why would a 996 sit 3/16" lower on the driver side than the passenger side (with no one in the car)? (Factory installed suspension).
Kevin,
Quite possible apart from the tyre sizes. The total diameter of the wheel and tyre assembly should be the same regardless of the wheel diameter fitted. However I have discovered that there is a slight difference between the ride heights front (1mm) and rear (5mm) depending if you have 17 or 18 diameter wheels, but again there is a plus or minus 10mm tolerance as well on the set ride height.

To your question: This is quite normal. The equipment in a Porsche is not evenly distributed throughout the car. The 996 is better than previous models, but when the suspension is set up to the correct road height this may lead to what appears to be a body lean towards one side or the other. However this is just a "static" look.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Last edited by Adrian; 12-15-2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: I mixed up the normal 996 with the GT-2 and 3.
Old 12-15-2006 | 05:13 PM
gpallem
Instructor

That's really interesting Adrian. I had noticed--as most--the difference in ride height between passenger side and driver side, and I assumed this was just a matter of improper settings. If I understand you correctly then this difference is there to compensate for uneven weight distribution of the car's components. If that is correct, is it then so that the driver's side is always a tad lower without driver in the seat?
Geert

Quick Reply: springs