Sponsored by:

Is this a clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:00 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Getting Clutch fixed

I never thought this thread would spawn so much tension during the holidays.

Thank you for sharing all of your knowlege.

I took my car to a private porshce mechanic who left the porsche dealership several years ago. He took my car for a drive with me and noted some interesting things.

First. I purchased my '02 C4 Cab from a Porsche Dealership with a CPO. When he depressed the clutch he couldn't believe it. Mine is the only porshce I have driven so I didn't know any different, but the cluth was very difficult (read take a strong quads to depress the pedal) to depress. He took me over to another 996 in the shop to show what a normal cluth feels like. Anyway, my clutch has felt like this since the day I bought it. He said that there is no way that a Porsche dealership should have let the car leave with the clutch like this. Whether or not this has anything to with it needing replaced after 37,000 miles, I don't know. I have taken this car to the Porsche dealership several times previously to have other work done (under warranty) and they never mentioned to me that the clutch was not right.

It will run about $1,700. He suggest replacing the rear main seal at the same time.

BTW, I had a 1990 Nissan pickup with a manual transmission that I drove for over 100,000 miles and never had to replace the clutch. Since I shifted the Nissan pretty much the same as the Porshce, it wouldn't seem to make sense to the novice that the Porsche clutch failure is all my fault. Unless of course a $5,000 Nissan just has a better clutch for poor drivers like me than a $100,000 Porsche.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:53 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the pedal get firm when the clutch nears the end of its life. as the clucth wears the lever action of the pressure plate looses some of its mechanical adavntae (think simple machines with a lever and a fulcrom) and the pedal gets harder to depress. BUt as far as the dealer doing something about it, its one of thoses thing you replace when it goes not before I dont think they were too wrong. I to would recomned rms replace ment when the trans is out for a clutch, just make sure they use the new 997 style seal and use the proper instalation tool (i dont think many indy shops have it.)
Old 12-18-2006, 08:28 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
the pedal get firm when the clutch nears the end of its life. as the clucth wears the lever action of the pressure plate looses some of its mechanical adavntae (think simple machines with a lever and a fulcrom) and the pedal gets harder to depress. BUt as far as the dealer doing something about it, its one of thoses thing you replace when it goes not before I dont think they were too wrong. I to would recomned rms replace ment when the trans is out for a clutch, just make sure they use the new 997 style seal and use the proper instalation tool (i dont think many indy shops have it.)
Thanks for the tip. I will call and make certain that he gets it right.

Quick Reply: Is this a clutch problem?