996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my '04 C4S ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are all asking prices and from dealers....way too high. But if he can get it good for him.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Gant, you understand that Rennlist is a drug-free environment? Whatever you are smoking, please stop as it is really clouding your judgement.

Ok, we are talking about a 3 year old, model year car, in showroom shape. It has UNDER 2k miles. He should list that thing for $80k and accept nothing less than $75k.

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, bitch!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil:

I watched this thread grow and become hostile. It is apparent that your proposal to sell your car is too upsetting to the group at large. I regret to inform you that, for the good of the community, you will be required to retain your car.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
A 2004 GT3, in showroom shape, with 1700k miles WILL SELL for $95 to 100k! Balee-dat!
Manhattan Porsche here in NYC recently unloaded one for $74K, CPO'd to boot. I'm starting to see 996 TT's with under 50K miles for under $55k! (it almost feels wrong even typing that)
Pcar prices are a fallin. I'm begining to see the logic of leasing.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:20 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Ok, we are talking about a 3 year old, model year car, in showroom shape. It has UNDER 2k miles. He should list that thing for $80k and accept nothing less than $75k.

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, bitch!

This approach will guarantee you that you will still have the car around to drive. Maybe it's the perfect resolution to your dilemma. You will still have a beautiful Porsche but will feel like you're trying to get rid of it. Both emotions will get your attention.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:47 PM
pl
Drifting

dell, can u define "soul" ?

Originally Posted by LVDell
Gant, you understand that Rennlist is a drug-free environment? Whatever you are smoking, please stop as it is really clouding your judgement.

As for the original poster. Park your car for 1 week. Go rent a $20-a-day rental and then come back to your car. OOOOOOHHHH, AAAHHHHHH. You will be in love all over again. Hell, I can't stop buying these damn things. Their soul stirs my emotions in ways I can't describe to non-Porsche owners which is why I take the philosophy of Steve.....let those drive your car that can't be as fortunate. And if you don't feel comfy with that, then at least take them for a spin

Regardless of what you decide, you should make sure that is a decision you will NOT regret (either to keep or sell).

We're here to offer as much support as you can take but it really comes down to what your gut tells you.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

sure........the quality that arouses emotion and sentiment.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Gant still has water in his ears - he didn't hear you very well. I think he thought you said an '05 C4S
Old 12-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993

There are some of us who do think that the 996 is a nicer looking car than the 997. Heck, there are even some who think the 996 is nicer looking than a 993!!!!

Michael
I agree on both points! That's precisely why I bought it in the first place. Appreciate your insight.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to sell - what would you replace it with? Would you be done with Porsche? If not, why sell?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I would sell mine for a 997 S, if the price was right AND the right options....I think.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:53 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

arr0gant I dont know if you're being facetious or are actually just insane, but you are on la la land!

we all love our 996s, but honestly, there are not a lot of arguments for why a 996 is better than a 997 other than price. the 993 to 996 transition polarized owners because of the huge change of "style/character", but the 996 to 997 is merely an extension much as 964 --> 993 was.

for this reason, and others, the collectability of a 996 in my eyes is very limited, much as say the 964 was. not to say owners wont enjoy their cars, but the delta in value between a museum quality 993 and an "average" one is much greater than the same delta on a 964. similarly, i think this is the case with a 996.

to summarize, you're insane if you think this car is worth 80k. to get it sold, i think its gotta be in the mid to high 60s.

but keep your car!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

is that 60 canadian??
Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Phil, I went through the same process a couple of weks ago. You have something in your garage worth a lot of money and the approaching winter makes you contemplate the value of owning and experie ncing the car. You have probably thought "is this just a want that has now been satisfied?, does this car provide me with as much pleasure as I anticipated? Did it really change my life?. Another question I have asked myself after seeing someone close experience a tragedy is "Given what I have learned from a friend's loss, how relevant is that piece of leather and metal in my garage?

Steve: Let me congratulate you on a very well written and thoughtful post. Any time that anyone makes a significant purchase, and $90K is a significant purchase even for those of us that have a substantial income, it's important after a time to examine the reasons for our purchase, and to evaluate whether or not we are getting what we expected from our purchase. None of us can do this soul searching for others since we all have different values and different reasons for buying high end cars. So IMO it's important for Phil to do some soul searching and to make a judgement whether or not his 996 is providing him what he expected. If the answer is no, then it's best for Phil to cut his losses and sell the car. If the decision is to sell, I'd wait at least three months to advertise it because as others have stated this is not a good time to sell a Porsche in the NE.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Phil, I went through the same process a couple of weks ago. You have something in your garage worth a lot of money and the approaching winter makes you contemplate the value of owning and experie ncing the car. You have probably thought "is this just a want that has now been satisfied?, does this car provide me with as much pleasure as I anticipated? Did it really change my life?. Another question I have asked myself after seeing someone close experience a tragedy is "Given what I have learned from a friend's loss, how relevant is that piece of leather and metal in my garage?

Steve: Let me congratulate you on a very well written and thoughtful post. Any time that anyone makes a significant purchase, and $90K is a significant purchase even for those of us that have a substantial income, it's important after a time to examine the reasons for our purchase, and to evaluate whether or not we are getting what we expected from our purchase. None of us can do this soul searching for others since we all have different values and different reasons for buying high end cars. So IMO it's important for Phil to do some soul searching and to make a judgement whether or not his 996 is providing him what he expected. If the answer is no, then it's best for Phil to cut his losses and sell the car. If the decision is to sell, I'd wait at least three months to advertise it because as others have stated this is not a good time to sell a Porsche in the NE.
I couldn't agree more - I PM'd Steve to express my exact sentiments on his post. This is a very personal decision. Whether I'm done with Porsche or not is completely unclear to me. The car is awesome, incredible, etc. Owning and driving it is just not giving me the satisfaction I need - not sure any car can do that at this point, but that's my issue. I'm going to carefully consider my decision, then move forward. If I decide to sell, I'll place ads in Autoweek and Panorama. I may wait til Spring or put feelers out to see what it will fetch. I really appreciate the input on this - I know that P-car owners are very passionate about their cars, and I seem to have lost it -- at least for now.

Phil

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my '04 C4S ....