Sponsored by:

CDR 23 with Bose MOST system going nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts
Default CDR 23 with Bose MOST system going nuts

My radio is having a nervous breakdown. The symptoms are sporadic but this is what it's doing:
-Radio is on, but no sound comes out at all. This was yesterday first thing in the morning; I thought it was the cold that caused it (-2 c). Worked fine 1/2 hour later after a restart.
-Start up the car and sometimes the radio is blarringly loud when it wasn't left like that the night before.
-Sometimes it forgets all the audio presets.

I know that the radio and amp were replaced before under warranty by the PO. As luck would have it, it's going to the dealership tomorrow for an RMS repair (under warranty) so I'll have them deal with this too.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I know that the radio and amp were replaced before under warranty by the PO. As luck would have it, it's going to the dealership tomorrow for an RMS repair (under warranty) so I'll have them deal with this too.
The radio issue is pretty common from what I've read. My understanding is the recommended fix from Porsche is just that... Replace the amp and radio. I too have had both replaced and it still does the "no power on" quirk occasionally. Good luck and let us know if you get additional information from the dealer.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Phil, I had the exact same problem with my radio several months back. Computer showed CD changer fault. The dealer replaced the radio which didn't fix the problem. When they replaced the CD changer, bingo - totally fine. If you're under warrantee, shouldn't be a problem! I got a brand new radio and changer out of the deal - all parts/labor covered under warrantee.

Phil
Old 12-10-2006, 04:24 PM
HenryM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My radio also appears to go silent periodically. I've found that switching it to CD mode and then back to FM seems to clear the problem. I don't have a CD changer by the way.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Car is at the dealer today and they are checking it over...looks like a new amp and head unit will be required under warranty. I don't have a CD Changer either.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Kaetsae
2nd Gear

Just wanted to chime in that my Bose system does this too, and they've already replaced one unit under warranty - that didn't help. But I think they only changed the radio, not the amplifier in the luggage compartment.

The regular way to get it working again is:

Change to CD when the system resets itself and starts again
The radio can then be heard, but you can't change the volume and it just says PORSCHE on the screen.
Turn off the radio, and turn it on again -> Working radio.

The irritating thing is it's cold here half of the year... If changing both units has solved this problem for good for any of you, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
ML
Instructor

Had the same issue with my Cayenne. Same deal - replace radio then replace amp, rince and repeat. Still have issues once in a while (radio seems to "reset"). I have been told that Porsche builds cars not radios!

Not aggravating enough for me to persist. A friend of mine did raise hell though and got dealer to install a satellite radio for free.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:12 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Another reason not to own a Bose product.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Do i smell UPGRADE
Old 01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Update: the dealer did not change the radio or the amp. The damn thing was working fine when I brought it in. I also learned that the dealer was being charged back over $40K for radios that they'd replaced under warranty and that PCNA was now disallowing. I guess I'd be gunshy about replacing anything with that kind of support from corporate! But thanks for the tips on rebooting the CDR23.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

The radio headunit is not made by Bose, it is made by Becker. The speakers and amplifier are Bose.

I still think Bose sucks though, just wanted to clear that up. Oh one other thing Becker is essentially Harmon Kardon, part of the Harmon Group. I've never had much luck with their receivers either and customer service blows.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Bose sucks...... go Focal, or Dynaudio...... one of the best speakers i've ever heard......

Quick Reply: CDR 23 with Bose MOST system going nuts