Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CA owners, Experience with Warranty Direct?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA owners, Experience with Warranty Direct?

Hi, I'm new here! Hopefully in a week or two I will do my formal introduction with pictures.

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2002 C2 coupe with 26,000 miles. The car is super clean and I am having a PPI done tomorrow.

Bottom line is, the car is out of warranty and I don't want my new Porsche experience to be tarnished by excessive repair costs. So I am considering a warranty through Warranty Direct.

The car is bein sold through Private Party and so CPO is not an option. As of last week Warranty Direct offered up to 4 years or 100,000miles (total miles) of bumper to bumper service for the 2002. (not '01's sorry guys).

Warranty Direct (warrantydirect(dot)com) is the ONLY warranty company licensed to independantly sell warranties in the state of California. They are supposed to be top notch, FULL coverage, and reimburse directly to the shop (independant or dealer), with a fast credit card payment.

Is this something I should seriously consider? the warranty is about $4,500 or roughly 10% of what I'm spending on the car.

My worries are about all the stories I hear of engine replacements, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks,
AA
Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man, $4500 is about 1/3 of the price for a engine replacement.
i believe the odd you need a new engine is WAY below 33%.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:30 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

then again, what is the premium you pay to buy the car from a dealer with CPO? It's what I did and I would guess that your $4.5K is not too far from the premium. I know that's not an option with this car, but if the safety net is so important to you (as it was for me!)........

Personally, I'd rather have a CPO than a 3rd party warranty.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I am in your same situation.. I own a 2002 C2 with 32k miles and my warranty is over. I am just about to get warranty direct.. I only hear good things about them
Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Was the $4,500 for SecureCare then? How much was the MajorCare, which covers only big-ticket items? I only heard of good things about them too.

I think whether to get an ext warranty depends on your risk tolerance level of potential financial hit. You can never beat the insurance company (on average) otherwise, they will fold. So you have to ask yourself which case you would kick yourself harder after 4yrs....1) No major claims and piece of mind for 4yrs but not getting your money's worth or 2) Major breakdown and you don't have coverage...

IMHO, $4,500 is at a level that's hard to decide for sure. If it was like $3.5k, it would have been a lot easier. The compromise maybe the majorcare. Also, since the warranty is transferrable when you sell the car, that may give your car an edge later if you decide to sell it within 4yrs (although you won't be able to recoup the whole cost obviously).

- Ahsai
Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dont get the GE warranty. I got that when I bought my car, blew the eninge 4k mils later, and had to jump through hoops to get them to pay for a new one, and still had to cough up 2500 for the new engine since they didnt cover the core.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Thsi is the bumper to bumper, the major care is only $1400.
Everything I have read is that they are reputable and pay their claims.

I guess it's just a decision for me to make, but thanks for all the input.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
hamilton
Instructor

I bought a warranty from WarrantyGold sseveral years ago. Same story, great reviews, seemed to check out, blah blah blah. Google them to see what happened.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought Warranty Direct's SecureCare for 4 years/100K miles for about the same price. So far it's paid for RMS and a valve cover leak (no questions asked) which would have cost me about $1,500 I think. I bought it for peace of mind and to help resale if I sell my car (warranty can be transferred). By nature I am conservative, so the warranty is a hedge against a low probabilty worst case scenario. If I were more of a gambler, then I might have just paid for repairs out of pocket. When I had my PPI, I spent a lot of time asking about anticipated future repairs, so I was expecting the RMS to go and maybe some other things too (has the RMS already been replaced under warranty?) Without the warranty I would have probably just left the RMS alone (very small leak). With the warranty, I'm looking for things to fix and getting dealer repairs for the price of the deductible. Statistically, engine replacement is very unlikely, but you might have a number of small issues which add up over time. Whatever you do, don't perseverate on your decision; are you losing $ or winning $ with a warranty, just do it and forget about it.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:42 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 99 996 from a private party but ran the transaction through the Porsche dealership and had them CPO the car for me. They did the PPI so part of the cost of this was subtracted from the cost of the certification that has to be done to write the warranty. At the time the warranty was ~$1,500 so when it was all said and done i paid about $2,000 for everything and felt better since the warranty was from Porsche.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

AA: I'm also in California and agree with Smackboy's comments. I asked directly one of the service guys at the dealership where I have my car serviced at, and they said very good things about dealing with Warranty Direct (from a dealer perspective) which is good. Ever since I bought my car new I've been thinking about what will I do when the original warranty runs out. And I have decided I'll go the Warranty Direct way. I really enjoy the car, I've had it since new for a little over 2 years. The first year was not trouble free (coolant leak, oil separator replaced, fuel tank vaccum pump replaced, RMS), second year was completely trouble free (bliss!), start of 3rd year (squeak in clutch housing fixed)... good thing for warranty. But no way will I keep the car without warranty!.

Warranty Direct offers easy payment plan options, and if you sell the car before the warranty expires, you can either pass it on to the private buyer (not to a dealer if you do trade-in or such), or you can get your prorated premium back as well.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: CA owners, Experience with Warranty Direct?