Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Experience with Xenon (hid) conversion kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:08 AM
sal4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Xenon (hid) conversion kits?

Hello, I ran across this xenon converion kit. do any of you have any experience or recommendations with it?
thanks in advance for the input.

I believe it is manufactured by VTX??
The 3 Main Components of the HID System

BULB : - The Xenon Gas and mercury Metal Halide Salts existing inside the light emitting tube causes the molybdenum electrodes on both sides to plasma discharge and create energy, which in turn produces light. In laymen terms…These suckers are Bright!

IGNITER : - This is an electronic amplifier that receives electric current from the ballast and boosts voltage to ignite the Arc Light Source in all environments. It initializes plasma discharge within the source by delivering a high-volt pulse to the electrodes.

BALLAST : - This is an electronic control unit used to initialize arc and supply a stabilized power supply to the bulb and igniter during normal arc conditions.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
s14roller
Racer

If I were to buy a HID kit, I'd probably try getting one with a reputable name behind it. Never heard of VTX. Try getting something from Philips or Sylvania.

Also, if you just want something that lights the road better and looks good, maybe consider just putting in some Silverstars. If it were up to me, I'd probably just go that route.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a HID Xenon conversion kit in my wife's Honda Hybrid. It was a very straightforward modification, completely plug and play.

If you are interested in the details, including where I bought it at, click here.

The biggest challenge is in the design of your car's lamp reflector. Many reflector designs do not focus the added light very well, which causes glare for oncoming cars.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

Here's another one:

http://www.cqlight.ca/

Anybody tried this one on a 996?

-Charles
Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 AM
sal4
Intermediate

Looked into the Sylvania lights they seem like a good option at a fraction of the cost. is there a big difference in lighting between silverstar and Xenon?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I've seen a few independant tests that show silverstars don't do much to improve lighting. It looks better, but doesn't actually improve your field of view...
Old 12-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The biggest challenge is in the design of your car's lamp reflector. Many reflector designs do not focus the added light very well, which causes glare for oncoming cars.
Agreed. What year is your car? The Porsche litronic upgrade, while pricey, works well. The thing with xenon headlights that most people find annoying is the glare. The stock litronics have a very sharp cutoff line on the beam. That keeps them from blinding oncoming traffic. You probably won't have that with an aftermarket kit. It could be more than just annoying. It could be downright dangerous.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

isn't the litronics for the porsche a form of projector? if so, what's the difference b.t xenon and projectors? is the only difference is the housing the xenon is in?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
isn't the litronics for the porsche a form of projector? if so, what's the difference b.t xenon and projectors? is the only difference is the housing the xenon is in?
Two completely different things. Xenon refers to the bulbs, and projectors are the housing that the bulbs are in. There are 2 main types of housings, reflectors, and projectors. Reflectors are parabola housings and are the norm for halogen bulbs. Projectors are a housing that has a lens in front to focus the light, and has internal baffles to aid in the cut-off and shape of the light pattern.

Then there are bi-xenons that combine the highbeam and lowbeam in one projector and one xenon lamp by using a movable baffle to change the light pattern. For bi-xenons, there is usually an auxiliary halogen lamp with a reflector to be used to flash the lights. This is because the rise time to full operational brightness on a Xenon is a few seconds making it unusable for quick flashing.

Here is a link to a tutorial on HID lighting
Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.xenondepot.com/

I bought from them for a Lexus GX470. Very popular company with a good reputation on the Lexus boards. All genuine Philips bulbs/ballasts.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be VERY careful when replacing bulbs. Some operate at high temperature and will actually melt the headlight housing.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moogle
Be VERY careful when replacing bulbs. Some operate at high temperature and will actually melt the headlight housing.
Not true with Xenon lamps. They draw less power than Halogens (35 W vs 55V) and run cooler in operation.

Here are 2 photos of tests that I ran on my wife's car HID conversion. I ran both the stock halogen and then the HID conversion for 1 hour and then measured the temperature of the headlight housings. As you can see the HID is cooler than the Halogen.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

thanks a lot.... clear things up pretty good......
Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
delirium
Racer

I am interested in a xenon conversion for my facelifted 996 as well, however upon taking the headlight out of the car, it appears that the 996 has a very different from what I am used to seeing, the bulb & wires are all attached to a harness that plugs into the car... so how would a conversion kit plug & play??

Are the pre-facelifted 996's set up the same way?

Quick Reply: Experience with Xenon (hid) conversion kits?