Sponsored by:

oil separator....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil separator....

How would you know if your car had a bad oil separator? what are the symptoms and why does this happen.....

I'm changing my clutch and I understand that oil separator can be replaced during a clutch change... so is it worth doing it while I'm in there?

thx
Pete
Old 11-30-2006, 01:37 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my '99 986 it failed, causing cavitation in the oil, which manifested itself as a sound that can only be described as a dying whale jumping off a tall building.

Ok - it was a very loud squealing noise!

That cavitation would eventually put air bubbles into the oil, and that would be a bad thing.

Not sure why it failed - but mileage was around 60,000.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:40 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

start the car and try to pull off the oil fill cap, if it feels like somethings holding it down and it takes 2 hands to pull it off its likley the seprator that failed. also tell tale signs are lots of smoke and a checkengine light
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Drmark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had both sides done on my car under warranty - symptoms were smoke on start up and excessive oil consumption. I had no noise or cavitation - and can't figure out why you would, it's just a breather.
Mark
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Drmark
Racer

PS Turned out separators were only part of the problem - I had a scored bore in number 6 too = new engine.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

996 oil seprator isnt really to easy even with the trans out, i like to pull the intake to do them
Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

what is the cost of the oil separators... how many are there... parts? labour?

thx
P.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drmark
Just had both sides done on my car under warranty - symptoms were smoke on start up and excessive oil consumption. I had no noise or cavitation - and can't figure out why you would, it's just a breather.
Mark
Mark,

it's a whole lot more than just a breather!

Original and updated replacement units side by side

In my case, the squealing came ahead of any excessive oil consumption or clouds of blue smoke - so was a good early indicator which I acted on immediately, saving myself from potential issues down the line.

Chris.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Mine just got replaced on my 99 C2 with 41,000 on it...

The symptoms started with an oil leak created by a 1/2" whole in the "accordian" hose in the picture above.... Unfortunately this started on my first session at the track and subsequently caused multiple black flags and ended my weekend early...

Worse yet, on the drive home armed with extra quarts of oil, she started to smoke like a cropduster.....

Looking at where this part when the car was on the rack at my Indy it can't be easy to replace....
Old 11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

on a tiptronic car you have to pull the engine to replace it
Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Easier access in the 986!

Chris.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

They cost around $125, what the do is let all the condensation escape from the engine oil so the water does not mix with the oil.. thats why driving for very short periods is not so good for the engine, it doesnt warm up enough to evaporate the water contained in the oil. Please correct me if I am not right... Greg
Old 11-30-2006, 02:20 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
They cost around $125, what the do is let all the condensation escape from the engine oil so the water does not mix with the oil.. thats why driving for very short periods is not so good for the engine, it doesnt warm up enough to evaporate the water contained in the oil. Please correct me if I am not right... Greg
Greg, during any high speed driving or long sustained speed event we all know that additional oil consumption is expected.

The reason for that is not because the engine is consuming more oil past the rings or valve guides.

The reason is that the oil is being churned up, causing a higher than normal vapor in the oil.

This oil vapor is then drawn into the intake system of the engine and burned through normal combustion.

On 9x6 model cars, Porsche installs a device known as an oil separator.

The purpose of this device is to separate the oil from the vapor. The oil is then returned to the crankcase and the pure vapor is sent to the intake system, decreasing the amount of oil that is lost in the combustion process.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:36 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

so the "vapor" is not water but actually Oil that changed phase into "oil vapor"?? so actually these vapors go back to the combustion chamber? so the engine will be burning Oil vapor+gas ??
Greg
Old 11-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
On my '99 986 it failed, causing cavitation in the oil, which manifested itself as a sound that can only be described as a dying whale jumping off a tall building.

Ok - it was a very loud squealing noise!

That cavitation would eventually put air bubbles into the oil, and that would be a bad thing.

Not sure why it failed - but mileage was around 60,000.
Mine went at 94,000 miles. Exactly the symptoms, sound wise, that you described. Porsche said the sound was caused by pulling a vacuum in the crank case and the air attempting to get in through the oil filler cap. In my case it also collapsed the oil filler tube.

Quick Reply: oil separator....