Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help Needed!! Speeding Ticket in Charlotte, NC...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Nope...they're legal, but you have to be shown as being at least 6 over to be written.

I read the website that Duchie posted and it gives all of the court documents - a very interesting read.

The guy got off on appeal because you have to be measured at at least 10 over the posted limit to be ticketed. Great stuff to know considering that those lines are painted all over PA.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:13 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

While I do not have experience with speeding tickets in Charlotte, I do have experience with NC speeding tickets. In NC you can request a Prayer For Judgement.

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com...ng-ticket.html

Each household may receive one Prayer for Judgment Continued (PFJ) every three years without it counting as a conviction. If you have a minor North Carolina speeding ticket, you do not need a North Carolina attorney. Call the court and find out how to contact the ADA handling your case. Go by and talk to him about a reduction to a 9mph over ticket or a PFJ. A 9mph speeding ticket will not raise your rates if you have a clean record. This may be a better option and save your PFJ for a more serious North Carolina speeding ticket. A Prayer for Judgment is normally only available if you have a North Carolina drivers license.

To add to the above cited link and quote, if you have a clean driving record for the last three years, you can order a certified copy of your driving record and take it with you to traffic court. The speeding offence is reduced and you can leave with just paying court costs. The certified copy is available immediately if you drive to Raleigh, or it can be ordered through the internet. Expect two weeks processing time.

The last ticket I received, was for 68 in a 55 (and I wasn't even in the P-car). It was just after the transition from 65 to 55. I was in traffic, but regardless, I was speeding. The Officer that stopped me actually told me about this "out". When I went to traffic court, I asked for an extension because I had not received my certified copy of my driving record. The "Judge" asked me if I "wanted to go ahead and wrap this up now, and not have to return"? I said "Yes". He entered a PFJ. I payed court costs ~$125.00. and walked away.

OT, are you interested in a fun run to WV with the Carolina Region PCA Sunday, 12/10? This run will leave the hotel in Clemmons after the Saturday night Chrismas party. We'll be checking out the facilities for the Spring Tour at Pipestem Resort. There is a meet planned to pick up stragglers at US 421 and I-77 around 9:30, Sunday AM. You should be back in Charlotte around dark that Sunday. PM me if you are interested.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can ask for a trial by written declaration....go to ticketassasin.com and read the part about speed violations...I got my bail back...because there are a couple of things you can do....especially when one of those "idiots" (sorry I can't help myself...I am going to councelling for it and I now only call them idiots) comes up with the BS: Speed distance time calculation.

Fight it Dutchie!!

I heb het gedaan en gewonnen!!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

This summer I got a ticket in the same county. I blew by the officer and although he didn't know my speed he ticketed me for reckless driving. He listed the speed as above 85 in a 60. I paid an attorney ~$300 and she had the ticket thrown out as long as I took a drivers ed course. I did an online course in a few hours for ~$30 and moved on with life. Defiitely the way to go in my opinion. I'm on vacation right now so I don't have the attorneys name handy but I can get it if you need it.

Shawn
Old 11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had two tickets in NC for speeding, both 16 MPH over the limit. That's mandatory "show up in court or lose your license" stuff around here. Both times I hired a local (Raleigh) attorney and for $250 (his fee & court costs) I got it down to a 4 MPH over, i.e. no points. A PFJ wouldn't qualify (as I understand it) because if you are 15 MPH or more over the limit, that's "serious". Secondly, if you get another citation in those 3 years since the PFJ then the old ticket gets reinstated and now you're fighting both (or may even forfeit the original one). I don't know, I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

My advice: find a lawyer, let them handle it, you'll be fine. NC allows lawyers to solicit business, so you'll be getting several letters in the mail, lots to choose from.

Michael
Old 11-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke with Eric's lawyer this morning and he feels very good that he can get it reduced to 74.9 miles in a 65 zone or even 70 miles. Will keep all of you posted.

Thanks Eric!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Touche

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I got my bail back...because there are a couple of things you can do....especially when one of those "idiots" (sorry I can't help myself...I am going to councelling for it and I now only call them idiots) comes up with the BS: Speed distance time calculation.

Nicolaas, I'm proud of you! Baby steps. You're allowed to call them idiots, that's okay. There are many occasions when I've thought the same thing.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks oreganet....I am eating only beef and chicken at the advice of my "shrink"
Old 11-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
thanks oreganet....I am eating only beef and chicken at the advice of my "shrink"

Hopefully they're dead and cooked.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:07 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I've had two tickets in NC for speeding, both 16 MPH over the limit. That's mandatory "show up in court or lose your license" stuff around here. Both times I hired a local (Raleigh) attorney and for $250 (his fee & court costs) I got it down to a 4 MPH over, i.e. no points. A PFJ wouldn't qualify (as I understand it) because if you are 15 MPH or more over the limit, that's "serious". Secondly, if you get another citation in those 3 years since the PFJ then the old ticket gets reinstated and now you're fighting both (or may even forfeit the original one). I don't know, I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

My advice: find a lawyer, let them handle it, you'll be fine. NC allows lawyers to solicit business, so you'll be getting several letters in the mail, lots to choose from.

Michael

I got a "wreckless driving" ticket the day after I bought my car & was driving home from Virginia.....99 in a 65, anything over 85 is wreckless driving.
I got on the phone & contacted an attourney there & he took care of it for me.
It cost like $800 by the time it was done, but at least I did not have to go back
there from Houston to appear...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Update... My court date was on Tuesday and my lawyer got this down to 74 in a 65... will cost me 3 points on my license, but no insurance points/increase. The lawyer was well worth the money!!

Thanks to all... especially Eric!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Update... My court date was on Tuesday and my lawyer got this down to 74 in a 65... will cost me 3 points on my license, but no insurance points/increase. The lawyer was well worth the money!!

Thanks to all... especially Eric!
Congrats! ... I think.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:16 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

On Dec. 30, 2006, I received a similar ticket for 85 in a 65 on US 421 in Wilkes County, NC. Becca and I were in her MB, had the Valentine One on (she had turned it down) and a CD playing (I had turned it up) and earlier in the day I had been drinking (starting the New Year a little early).

The Trooper was sitting on the ramp, and shot us in the back. After doing his thing, he asked me to come back to his car. I sat down and he had me recite the ABCs twice, looked in my eyes with his pen light, and questioned me about my drinking. Then he had me blow through a tube to check my alcohol level.

I was below the limit, and he was not happy. I asked if he would tell me what my blood/alcohol level was, and he said "No, but the judge would know and it would be taken into consideration when I was sentenced". I asked if he would reduce the speed one mph to make the ticket for 84 in a 65. Again, he said "No", gave me my paperwork and recommended Becca drive. She drove until we were got to the exit for Powderhorn, our destination for the weeekend, then we swapped seats again.

Just as in Charlotte, the 20 mph over the posted limit is a required appearance in court. I googled traffic attorneys in Wilkesboro NC, and contacted a firm by phone. Speaking to the receptionist, I explained what happened and she said to mail them a check for $300.00 (attorney's fees) + $135.00 (court costs), and the citation. No appearance in court would be required of me, nor was it necessary for me to meet with the attorney.

I received a letter from the attorney Friday. "This is to advise you that I was able to dispose of your speeding citation in Wilkes county on February 1, 2007. You were found responsible for improper equipment, which is a moving violation and should not affect your driver's license or your automobile insurance. This was the desired result, especially with the high rate of speed... I am asking that you send a check, in the amount of $5.00..."

The court costs were $5.00 more than quoted. He even sent me the receipt from the Clerk of Court.

This is quite a contrast to the Charlotte ticket that started this thread. Both were for 85 in a 65. Dutchie was clocked by the officer using a time/distance method, I was clocked using radar. Dutchie received 3 license points and I received no points.

Is the difference the attorney, the courts, or both?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:24 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

The difference is that the outcome in traffic court is often arbitrary within one court.

Comparing two courts? Impossible.

Quick Reply: Help Needed!! Speeding Ticket in Charlotte, NC...