Sponsored by:

brake wear light came on....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brake wear light came on....

and I gues it is time to change the pads.....I read somewhere that it is a very easy DIY...anybody knows the best place to get the pads (best quality for lowest price = best place!)

thanks and happy thanksgiving
Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 AM
ReidN
Pro

Check your pads first. I had my wear light come on and my pads are fine. Dealer had to reset. It just came on again and pads are fine. I think when they worked on it last they loosened something. Do these electrical contacts work on NC or NO contacts? Can I reset them myself?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

If the light comes on, you have to replace the sensor(s) as well as the pads.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:21 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the wear sensors are just a loop, when the pads wear they cut the wire and break continuity the light comes on, if one of the wires is unplugged it will set the light as well. there is nothing to reset as soon as continiuty is restored the light goes out.
I recomed porsche pads for street use
Old 11-23-2006, 11:30 AM
ReidN
Pro

So, Firehawk,
My pads are 70% and my light came on. It happened when I was at the dealer getting the breather hose replaced. They said they might have bumped it when fixing. They took the car for 5 minutes said he re-plugged all the sensors and it reset. Where exactally are these plugs so I can check?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:39 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are mouted to the strut, if you look through the wheel you may beable to see them but its much easier with the wheels off. just follow the wires from the brake pads about 12 inchs and you will see the conneccotr
Old 11-23-2006, 11:46 AM
ReidN
Pro

Thanks I will check now and get back to you. Once again thanks for the help!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 12:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Reid, you cannot just "reset" the brake light without replacing the offending sensor. My guess is they replaced the damaged sensor.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:20 PM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to answer your question, the lowest price that I've seen on OEM pads is with Suncoast Porsche in Florida (no affiliation)

As for your brake light, it is triggered by low brake pads and the sensor needs to be replaced at that time. You can easily check your pad level by looking through the wheel although it is much easier with the wheel off. I've had my sensors disconnected for 2 years now as I change the pads regularly for the track and I know how to tell when the pads are getting low.

If the sensor isn't connected it won't trip and it needs to be pried up with a screwdriver, so I guess I'm a little confused about how they "knocked it loose" doing something. Just my $.02

Happy Thanksgiving,

Steve
Old 11-23-2006, 01:52 PM
every day
Racer

I just ordered a set of Porsche performance pads from these guys:

http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php

I think they typically have the lowest prices out there for factory parts and are very helpful.

Here's a pic of the sensor that monitors the brake pad wear. I disconnected mine like smankow did - for the same reason also.

Here's a link to a nice set of diy instructions for changing your pads - it's pretty easy to do.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7065

Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2006, 02:01 PM
RamVA
Racer

Porsche pads are preposterously easy to do, so it's a highly recommended DIY. There's surely a link here, and it will take you less than an hour from sitting on your couch to sitting on your couch.

Before you order new pads take a look, as the sensors a) trip pretty conservatively and b) act funny when they get hot. Mine, too, have been disconnected for some time as it's easy to read pad life visually.

I like livermoreperformance.com for pads, but I'm not buying stock.

Quick Reply: brake wear light came on....