Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear Alignment After Motor Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006 | 01:16 PM
nick49
Drifting

Default Rear Alignment After Motor Removal?

Does anyone know first hand if rear wheel alignment is necessary after motor removal and replacement?

Shortly after having a motor replacement in my '99 C2, I noticed the outsides of my rear tires wearing noticeably more rapidly. I assume this is because of too much toe in. Also at speeds over 100 the car does not track like it should or feel as secure as it used to. I had a 4 wheel alignment done shortly before the motor was replaced and everything was fine.

Anyone had simular experiences or knowledge on the subject?

Thanks all
Old 11-19-2006 | 01:20 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Not sure if I am being of help or not, but I recently had the starter motor and clutch replaced in my car and this required an engine drop. The head mechanic told me to hold off on the alignment I wanted to do until he was done with that job. He stated that sometimes cars do tend to have the alignment changed when an engine removal and re install is done. Sounds crazy as suspension has nothing to do with motor mounts, but hey, I am no expert in the matter. Rear end alignment on our cars make DRAMATIC handling differences. Had to take mine to the shop 4 times before they got it right....
Old 11-19-2006 | 02:20 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

gus i cant imagine why that pulled the motor for a clutch or a starter if its a non turbo 996

pulling the motor on a 996 requires removing the engine cross member that joins the 2 seuspension sides, removing and reinstalling it could affect the rear alignement
Old 11-19-2006 | 06:54 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Couldn't tell ya. I left the shop when I saw the transmission being taken down. I do know that it took a long time to do. I can see how the starter change could be a pain in the @$$ since its well hidden on the top part of the engine.
Old 11-19-2006 | 06:56 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Yes, it requires an alignment. I had my engine placed last month and the dealership performed a 4-wheel alignment. The adviser indicated that part of the rear suspension had to be removed in order to replace the engine.

Mine is a 2003 C-2 coupe with a 6-speed manual.
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:01 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

They should have aligned it after the engine replacement. As mentioned, removing the rear crossmember will effect the rear alignment.

Quick Reply: Rear Alignment After Motor Removal?