Originally Posted by LVDell
Fighting and bickering
Nah! I'm good at finding that.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cos...it's the whole aspect of NOT supporitng the site yet using it for PERSONAL gain. Sure, if you don't want to pony up the $18 to support the site but still like to hang here and get help from others, then that is perfectly fine. However, if you want to support the site that John D has put together then some of the "perks" that come with it include a personal webpage for hosting, access to the FOR SALE forum where you can post for sale items (another reason no-contributing users post in the car specific forums ONLY), as well you can access the OFF TOPIC forum (now that is worth the price of admission if only to see the "I'D HIT IT THREAD!".

But in usually economic 80/20 theory, it holds true here. 80% of the financial support comes from 20% of the members.
Originally Posted by gota911
Well, it costs only $18 to join for one year or $32 for two years. I joined for two years 'cuz I figured it was less than the cost of a full tank of gas and would last MUCH longer.
Tim and Dell, You are absolutely right there. It's not much to contribute as a member. In fact, honestly, I did consider doing just that, several times, not too long after I came on here.

It's NOT about the money. That is chicken-feed. And it's not for any extra features (btw, I am an admin on my own forums) which I probably won't need. I am also on several other forums, all of them non-paying (with the exception of renntech, which I'm also not a contributing member yet), and I have seen a lot of what goes on at places like these, the good and the bad. I hang around forums to be with people of same interests, have fun, and hopefully make some friends along the way.

There are a bunch of you Gentlemen here who are genuinely helpful and fun, friendly and all. Real car enthusiasts out to mingle and help others. And this bunch is the reason that I am still around. (Not that it makes a diference if I"m around...)

There is however, something that's holding me back from joining up as a member here. Not too long after I came onboard, I started to notice there are quite a number of members on here, with an attitude. This is a Porsche site, well, obviously there are many well-to-do people in these waters. But it's just not right to be shoving people around like they own the place, indirectly discriminating "users" (I see this member-user thing being mentioned every now and then, here and there), being bossy to newbies, basically thinking that money rules, and they know all. I know they may own big corporations, run their own business with hundreds of employees, but on the internet, Sirs...it is beyond your jurisdiction. Have some respect for others, please. And I can go on and on...

I do understand that rennlist is a heavy traffic site, with a huge group of members. Yes, for a site like this, it costs money to run, especially when I don't see any annoying banners around. This is a Great site! I agree it is fair to be a contributing member if one likes and enjoys the site. I am not being cheap, I am considering if it is the right thing to do. Like I said, something is holding me back, there is this certain "ambience" around some parts, at times, that is not very pleasant. It almost makes one feel that "maybe if I become a member, I wouldn't be treated this way?" But that is so wrong. If I become a member, I want to do it because I want to help support the site. Do I want to be pressured to become a member, by these people? NO. There are several "users" who are very helpful on this board, and are always jumping at questions and offering advice and solutions. I don't see anything wrong with them, infact, I have a lot of respect for them! And of course, there are many members who are equally as wonderful.

I know I might get flamed for saying this, but I am not one to fear to speak the truth. There are a few who won't hesitate to tell me to "leave if you don't like it!) Who knows, I might even be banned from the board for going up against the members! If so, let it be. A good site Admin would take this as feedback, and perhaps work to improve the flaws to make this place a better place for everyone. Afterall, it's the "participants" (users and members) who make up this site!

Note: I would like to apologize to villajoe for hijacking this thread with my post.
There is nowhere else a "user" can post this off-topic material!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Cosmos,
You know, I felt this way for a while... and to a certain extent still do. I get what you're saying.

I finally gave in and got membership after being on the recieving end of some very useful help from some of the members around here, so felt it was time to contribute. Does that mean continued membership? If I continue to hang out and get value, sure - if not, then no. That being said, I do believe in paying for something I find useful.

Noone should feel pressured to get membership and they are within their rights not to get membership. You are most welcome around here - You contribute in many ways and should not feel bad in any way.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Cos - I hear what you are saying, and I agree with you. One of the best things about Rennlist is that John D. has some out a couple of times when the "hang 'em high" boys were on witch hunts for a few Users that had rubbed some of them the wrong way. John stated very explicitly that Users are just as Welcome as Members and no one should be pressuring them to join. I agree that ir is not about the money, 'cuz it's chump change.

Overall, I find the 996 forum to be more down to earth and find that the 996'ers know more about their cars and personally do more mods than the 997 crowd. In general, the 997 guys seem to take themselves too seriously and don't seem to have as much fun as we do here!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

When I first came on board I only had a 964 so hung out there. Asked a few questions about my new toy and then got jumped to pay up. It really didn't bother me as this site has been very helpful and has saved me more than my dues. And on top of that I now have "blue hell Dell" and "popcorn Tim" to hang with Only other place I could come up with guys as colorful as these, my wife won't let me go to anymore
Old 11-21-2006, 09:04 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steven C.
When I first came on board I only had a 964 so hung out there. Asked a few questions about my new toy and then got jumped to pay up. It really didn't bother me as this site has been very helpful and has saved me more than my dues. And on top of that I now have "blue hell Dell" and "popcorn Tim" to hang with Only other place I could come up with guys as colorful as these, my wife won't let me go to anymore
Hey Steven - Did you check out my note to you toward the bottom of page 1 in Sandoval's thread MY NEW "OLD" LIFT? I am still waiting for a reply!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What in the BLUE HELL is going on in here!?!?!?!?!?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

What in the BLUE HELL is going on in here!?!?!?!?!?

That works every time on me
Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Hey Steven - Did you check out my note to you toward the bottom of page 1 in Sandoval's thread MY NEW "OLD" LIFT? I am still waiting for a reply!
Wow, I am coming down with a small cold and man...I missed that one. What in the blueeeee helllllll is going on here Just keep your panties on there POP(as in corn)...I will get some pics up....but not until it's time

AND, I AM GOING TO WANT MY OWN THREAD...Thank you very much
Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, I am coming down with a small cold and man...I missed that one. What in the blueeeee helllllll is going on here Just keep your panties on there POP(as in corn)...I will get some pics up....but not until it's time

AND, I AM GOING TO WANT MY OWN THREAD...Thank you very much
Can't wait to see the pics!

Dell, as you can see, I've got this one covered!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good job Tim!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Good job Tim!
Oh man....you guys are whipping me And even early in the morning
Old 11-22-2006, 08:58 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Oh man....you guys are whipping me And even early in the morning
Gotta jump start this forum somehow for the day. Have a feeling it's gonna get lonely around here for the next couple days. So......let's have a little fun
Old 11-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Gotta jump start this forum somehow for the day. Have a feeling it's gonna get lonely around here for the next couple days. So......let's have a little fun
Hey, I am here around 5:30 every weekday morning. Not on weekends though. See you over the holiday and have a good one!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Gobble Gobble Gobble

Quick Reply: 996 Aero For Sale - NOW WITH PICS