Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts
Default GMG Wins Time Attack Finale @ Buttonwillow 996GT2 and 996WCGT

I am pleased to announce that we were able to win the SuperStreet /Eurotuner /NASA Time Attack Finale held at Buttonwillow this past week .

The Time Attack is sort of "Time Trialing" based on Japanese format of elimination- fastest cars advancing to the final rounds based on lap times. There were 6 qualifying rounds held throughout the year at various tracks in order to qualify for this event. Most recently we were able to win the qualifying round at Infineon Sears Pt and set a new track record.

With more than 80 entrants @ Buttonwillow competing for the overall win and 6 class titles on the line we knew this would not be easy show up and walk away with everything.
Sure enough as expected there were some very fast and very purpose built Time Attack cars by many of Japans top tuners.

The GMG/Rennworx/Dymag/Toyo Tires WCGT Porsche Cup car (#14 in World Challenge GT) driven by James Sofronas posted the fastest time of the day taking the top prize of Fastest car overall as well as winning the unlimited class overall.

The second place car was a 700+hp Skyline GTR purpose builtand driven by one of Japans drift kings.. Complete with wide body and shod with Hoosier DOTR tires.
The battle was intense, James was able to put down a flier posting a 1;49;000 lap time compared to the XS engineering Skyline GTR's time of 1;49;261.

Very close indeed but the Porsche proved victorious!

I am also very pleased to annouce we won the "limited" class which is open to any ( any configuartion) but has to be licensed on for road use and insured however has to run on a tire that was rated @100 UTQ or more .
We ran our GMG GT2 in this class - Running on left over Toyo Ra-1's (old race tires) we won the limited production class overall and had the 4th fastest time of the day ( overall) @ 1;53;4xx ( over 3+ seconds faster than any car in its class )

Our GT2 was run with the following modifications
GIAC/GMG Software 91 octane mode- GMGWCGT Sport Exhaust with 200 cell sport catalyst- Stock Airfilter- Moton Club Sport Damper- GMG Upper Dog Bones- GMG Inner A Arm bearings-GMG Thrust Arm bushings- GMG Toe steer kit.
Champion Magnesium GT wheels with Toyo RA1 305 rear and 245 front.
GMG Competition alignment and corner balance
For Safety our GMG GT Harness/Rollbar was installed with Sparco 5 point harness.
Complete interior was left intact.- including floor mats.

Attached are a few pictures from the event.. Look for a complete story on the event in the upcoming SuperStreet and Eurotuner Magazines.

Special thanks to our partners for this event:
Bill from Rennworx/Dymag ( Carbon Mag wheels )
Toyo Tires
Moton
Eibach
Champion Motorsports (GT2 wheels)
GIAC Andy, Garrett and Jarod

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 11-23-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:34 AM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is sweet. Nice work GMG!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice write up. Congrats! I'll bet that was a lot of fun!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:18 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:11 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Impressive
Old 11-16-2006, 11:13 AM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure most of you guys (and gals) already know if you have Speed Channel that this is GMG's cup car that they have proven over an over on tracks around the US. Definitely nice to see the 996 platform whup up on Buttonwillow. The Star Mazda hairpin eats up RWD cars.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:26 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

I am thrilled to see you guys came out on top. I believe you ran a 1:42 at Infineon to qualify and that is just amazing. My best on old DSSRs was 1:59. I probably have a couple secs in my new setup maybe 1:56 oh hoo hoos but low 1:40s is amazing.

It great to see you guys competeing in the Nasa TT as well. Gives some legitimacy to the series somewhat and I hope others can see how fun it can be to compete in this format. I meant to make it out to qualify in one of the lower groups but I didn't have the right tire set up to make it. Do you know what the slowest time qualified from Infineon?

Congratulations on a great win. That GT2 has 550hp correct? What was it's time at Infineon.

Do you plan on doing any other events or just the qualifier and finale for the Super Street next year probably.

Finally I'm glad that you stuck it to those import guys. They think they can throw hundred K at a street car and then add 800hp and beat everything. It shows how much car set up and technology really makes a difference. Sofro did a great job, I have been following him on the Speed series so great job to GMG and Sofro. Hopefully I can make it down there to your show coming up.

BTW can you send me your old TOYO's when you're done with them?

Quick Reply: GMG Wins Time Attack Finale @ Buttonwillow 996GT2 and 996WCGT