996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car feels a bit "floaty"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a reference point, my stock '02 C2 felt good at a GPS-calibrated 141mph, but I'd had it carefully aligned three days earlier and I'd checked the tyre pressures about five times that morning The car felt very stable up to about 120mph, then started to feel a little "dartier" but I wouldn't call it floaty, just that the steering was getting very responsive indeed, and I definitely didn't want to sneeze
I'd definitely check the alignment first, then see how it feels.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

My bone stock 02 C4S feels firm and planted at 120-130mph.
Steering feels tight and heavy as well, I guess due to the all-wheel drive.

The only floaty feeling I have during those speeds are my licence and $$$ at high risk of floating away...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:13 AM
RamVA
Racer

I have a '01 C2 with the stock bodywork, and I've driven it up to 135 with both stock suspension and PSS9s (on track). The car feels better lowered, but fine either way, and turns just fine at about 120mph (gentle kink in the straight). It feels much better than my S2000 at those speeds.

This coulsd all be a matter of personal preference/experience, but I would recommend trying it without a rear wing (of you have one).
Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
My 996's steering gets lighter at speeds over 100, I placed the blame on the wing, I wanted to take it off.
Blame it on US regulations that require Porsche to raise the front bumper 10-20mm in order to come into proper bumper height safety compliance. No word yet on when domestic SUVs and trucks will have to 'lower' their bumpers in order to keep from scraping sedan and coupes windshields in every fender bender.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your rate of acceleration has a big effect on the front end float too as your front end is raised even more allowing air to get under the car.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

My car has never felt "floaty" in the front, before or after the aero kit and suspension mods. Up to 145, nothing but a good solid feel to it.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you have corrected the no brainer stuff like alignment and tire pressure, the floating sensation is caused by the fact that your car is essentially a wing. Just like Wilber and Orville's wing the air passing under your car travels a shorter distance than the air traveling over your car which produces lift. Ever wonder why a spoiler is called a spoiler. It's because is messes up the airflow over the car reducing the lift effect. It "spoils" the airflow.

The solution, as many have mentioned, is to reduce the amount of air that gets under the car. You can do than by adding an airdam of some sort on the front, by lowering the car, changing the rake of the car or all three.

A couple suggestions, if you have a full areo package you must have the front lip on. It makes a huge difference. Leave your rear wing flat. Especially if you are at stock ride height. Downforce in back will just make the problem worse.

If you have adjustable ride height dampers, lower the car and rake it a bit to the front.

Just my 2 cents and worth both pennies.
Jim
Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
signal
Racer

It could very well be my alignment. I have had the car only 4 or so months, and have not had an alignment or the alignment checked. There are diferent kinds of alignments that can be done correct? Any special instructions I should give the alignment shop as to how to setup the car, or do they just punch "2000 996 C2" in their computer and let it do all the magic? Also should I get the alignment at a Porsche Dealer or am I safe with a normal Alignment shop?

The car tracks straight, but in looking thru the service history it had gone thru a few alignment adjustments in the past to try to correct for some pull the previous driver was having. It followed the tires however, and was not a mechanical problem, but they may have tried to correct for it.

Quick Reply: Car feels a bit "floaty"?