Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's the *2ND BEST* color to hide dirt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:18 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a speed yellow 993. It hides dirt really well. If you can live with the "hey look at me" color it is an excellent color as far as dirt, rock chips and swirls are concerned. However, it does attract the bugs. As for resale. I think it depends. People either love it or hate it, there is no "well it does have the options I want so it would be a good choice and I can live with the color" type of rationalization. So it is either pretty quick or very slow. Price usually doesn't effect the desirability like on other colors, so arguably it is "easier" to get what you want out of it. When I was looking for speed yellow I couldn't find one (took me well over 6 months) but when I went to sell there were quite a few for sale so it really just depends on what is available. Unlike a color like silver where there are always lots of cars for sale with varying options.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:33 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I love speed yellow. It is one of those colors that despite it being one of my favorites I do not think I could own. Weird, but the look at me thing is an issue for me.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:33 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, and I will never, ever, ever own another black car.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I love speed yellow..... Weird, but the look at me thing is an issue for me.
I know what you mean. I really liked my speed yellow car. It was what I wanted. However, the "hey look at me" factor was one of the reasons that ultimately lead to the sale. I don't buy cars to impress or attract the attention of others (instead I buy them for me and how they drive) but it seemed the yellow was attracting too much attention.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:03 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
I have found red isnt too bad, nor is lapis blue (i am speculating here).
Dunno about Lapis blue, but midnight blue is much less hassle than black while still having a nice deep shine.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche's new color Terra Fimus should do it.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm...I disagree with the color white being good at hiding dirt. I've owned a couple and while it looks pristine when cleaned and polished, every little speckle of dirt is magnified against the lightest hue. The color white draws out any color on top of it. That's why stationery and artist's canvas are typically white, as it produces the most contrast. It may hide dust well, but it certainly doesn't hide dirt well.

I second the colors arctic silver and seal gray as being the best at hiding dirt, followed by guards red.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

My Lapis Blue isn't too bad to keep looking nice. While all colors will show dirt, the darker colors will show it the most. Cobalt Blue is probably in the middle of the dark/light scale and Lapis is a notch more toward the dark part of the scale.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:47 PM
mjet
Instructor

1. White 2. Silver period end.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjet
1. White 2. Silver period end.
1. Silver or any of the greys (you might consider meteor grey which is different than slate) 2. White (but I wish Porsche would brighten up the Carerra White)
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wife's Boxster is Glacier White and looks clean all the time. I gave it a good wash about 6 weeks ago and wash the outside of the windows every week or two. When its just been washed and waxed it has an absolutely beautiful reflective luster that few colors can match.

Her Lexus and my Carrera are Silver and they can go weeks without a wash and look presentable. Just clean the windows and headlights and they look pretty good. I full fledged wash and they look awsome.

My Jeep is a Metallic Desert Sand and because its the color of dirt, same thing, it always looks clean. So all my current vehicles look really good if I just keep the windows clean and spray the wheels off a couple of times between washes.

My color choices were specifically for the reason of not having to wash them often.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:55 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people seem to have lost track of the fact that this thread's about looking for the 2nd best option-- I ruled out Arctic Silver and Seal Grey already....
Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,

I have a Acura that is Gold and it hids rain spots. Gold is
the best color. White cars get dust on the rain spots and
then it is time for a wash.
Besides it is a Porsche and some of the most fun you can
have is washing the car. I love washing the car knowing
that it will just get dirty again.

Paul

Last edited by PAULSPEED; 10-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:36 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,

You could do as I did and order speed yellow gages. Then
you have the look and the speed.

Paul

Last edited by PAULSPEED; 10-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:54 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

White is not much better than black IMHO. That gold-silver tan metallic that is popular with non-sports cars is generic but great. It IS the color of dirt and can be absolutely disgusting and not look bad.

Medium metallic colors are not too bad such as a red (carmon) or blue (cobalt) or that copper targa metallic. I'd give my Arena Red a "fair"--way better than black or white but not as good as a tan/silver metallic: http://www.porsche.com/all/skydriving/usa.aspx

For non-standard colors, there have been a few great threads with colors that I bet would be even better such as mirage metallic, pearlessence white, baltic blue, and turquoise blue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/125542-uncommon-exterior-colors.html#post1188500
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/278611-help-with-paint-to-sample-color.html

There's been some great colors in the recent past. It's kind of like we're in a color rut.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: What's the *2ND BEST* color to hide dirt?