996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996, worst remote ever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM
hamilton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not bothered by the short range as much as the fact that I can't find a way to make it chirp or honk or something. I'm always checking the handle to confirm that it locked. I know about the lights but during the day, it is kind of subtle to see them blink. Any suggestions? The manual was no help. I have a 2003 targa.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I've gotten so used to the short-range that I just stand next to my car when I arm it, so I can hear the door locking. At night, the lights flashing is a good enough indicator for me so I don't have to stand next to it.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

It's always cool to park, then stand there pressing your key until something happens, then you're not sure EXACTLY what happened, so you need to check the doors.

I agree, this (along with the cupholders) are the weakest parts of the car.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageMetallic
power consumption goes with the square of the range, so to double the range, you have to quadruple the power consumption.

replacing that 9V every 6 months...
I think power consumption is a non-issue. Since the keyfob battery is charged in the ignition, I don't think your battery should ever be "low" unless it just dies. Even by quadrupling the power consumption, you should be ok for two button pushes. Hell, even your garage door opener would last forever if it charged itself via the car...

-td
Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by td873
Since the keyfob battery is charged in the ignition,
Say what?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the ignition?
And I thought hearing about tires that retread by picking up bits of rubber on the highway was far fetched...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eharrison
In the ignition?
And I thought hearing about tires that retread by picking up bits of rubber on the highway was far fetched...
wait what are you trying to say that my dealer lied to me......
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I think power consumption is a non-issue. Since the keyfob battery is charged in the ignition
-td
Surely you are kidding.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

More range...end of story. if you still want to unlock/lock the doors from 10 feet, Good on you. but for the rest of us, it drives me mad that the doors don't lock from further away. Here's a scenario: it's pouring rain (everyone in Los Angeles just accept this as something that happens in other cities; everyone else hold the comments about never driving the 996 in the rain, I drive my car everywhere), you get out of your car and race to the entrance of your favorite restaurant so as not to get wet(ter). Ah, but you forgot to lock the doors in that 10ft range while running. With longer range, you just click it and forget it. With the pathetic range that Porsche stuck us with, you have to run back out and get soaked.

Sadly, I haven't exercised the TSB even though it's sitting in my garage waiting for me to show some get up and go. Ah, winter's almost here...perfect timing.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...thought it was only me that had such problems with the keyfob. Can someone post the TSB here? My keyfob is terrible...sometimes takes 3-4 tries to lock/unlock...What a pain in the arssss!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I gave the link already above (post #4)...what more do you want?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Melchior
Pro

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...4958&hl=remote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:03 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Since the keyfob battery is charged in the ignition...
-td
That's total bull. (although true on newer BMWs)
Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You guys really crack me up.

I don't know how many of you guys are under 30, but in the old days, now get this, ready? In the old days, back in the last half of the twentieth century, we would have to get out of the car, shut the door and use the key - yes the ignition key and insert it into the door and turn it! Can you imagine that? Standing in the freezing rain, blowing wind, fierce hailstorm, what have you, braving the elements to twist the key far enough to activate the locking mechanism.

We had to do the exact opposite, often at night in the dark, locating that tiny little hole and putting the key in just so, and turning it in the opposite direction to unlock!

You could spot these people back then by their enormous oversized wrist muscles from having to do this chore several times a day! Madness I tell you, madness!

I'm not making this up - really, it used to happen. Check the archives.

Michael
Old 11-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
You guys really crack me up.

I don't know how many of you guys are under 30, but in the old days, now get this, ready? In the old days, back in the last half of the twentieth century, we would have to get out of the car, shut the door and use the key - yes the ignition key and insert it into the door and turn it! Can you imagine that? Standing in the freezing rain, blowing wind, fierce hailstorm, what have you, braving the elements to twist the key far enough to activate the locking mechanism.

We had to do the exact opposite, often at night in the dark, locating that tiny little hole and putting the key in just so, and turning it in the opposite direction to unlock!

You could spot these people back then by their enormous oversized wrist muscles from having to do this chore several times a day! Madness I tell you, madness!

I'm not making this up - really, it used to happen. Check the archives.

Michael
Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about. I am 43 years old, and I cannot remember having a car that did not have remote start, heated and/or cooled seats that come on with the remote start, or a graphic nav system. I have never even heard of this "turning" of a key to unlock a door you speak of.

Quick Reply: 996, worst remote ever?