Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The Fate of me getting a 996 or a sc430 rests in your hands.I need everyones opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 04:54 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

CosmosC4S - I agree completely.
Well said.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Patience is a hard thing to come by when you are young. And this is what you will need for now. The last thing that you need to do right after college is to buy a car that with one issue could put you into financial hardship. Skip the Porsche for now and work on building a stron financial base that can absorb the uncertainties of Porsche ownership unless of course you like to work on cars and don't mind something much older.

That said, a Lexus SC430 is not a sport car and you will be very disappointed if you think driving one will anyhing close to driving like a Porsche.

Why not look at the Honda S200?
I completely agree with Eric's comments. Trust me, maintenance costs an issues on these cars take away the joy of ownership. It is great that you have the dream... it gives you inspiration and keeps you focused. Follow your heart, work hard and be patient. Youth is such a wonderful thing... way better than a car. And I would definitely go for a nicely maintained '87-'89 911 way way before any boring thing from Lexus...

Best of luck!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:26 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure my 3 sons would agree. Save your cash and keep saving, graduate, get a good job...then buy a TT or GT3 shortly thereafter. I don't think you would regret it.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

I just bought a 996 cab. The car absolutely rules. If you have to ride the bus while you are scouring Ebay for a used set of tires, it is worth it. Lexus? My Dad is 74 years old and I won't let him buy a Lexus!

Originally Posted by ahayvi
Hi guys, first time poster and let me say this community is awesome and extremly insightful. I REALLY need ALL your honest opinions regarding my unique situation.

I am a 21 year old college student who has saved up a bit of money and am now looking at a new car. My decision has been boiled down to two options since they are in the same price range. a 996 or a sc430. Now lemme give you some background as far as where I am coming from. I have been in love with p cars every since I was a 5 year old envying the hell out of my big brother who is 18 years older than me and his 928. God that car was the sh*t but the maintence beat the hell out of him that he couldn't keep it for much long. I know that one day i will have a 911, I just don't know if right now is the right time and this is where you guys come in....

I have saved up about $23,000 and will get a $10-12,000 loan that will be reasonable for me to pay off within 2 years. My concern isn't the upfront dollar value of the vehicle, its the cost of maintence that i should expect to pay after getting my new car.

I have done tons of searches on this forum about reliability and warranties and I must say that this is what has held me back from getting a 996 yet. I mean if the engine fails, I am REALLY screwed but what may be just as important in my decision is that I can't afford to be paying $500 maintence costs with any kind of frequency what so ever. The lone reason I am considering a sc430 is simply because of the fact that from all the research I have done, this car is as close as you can get to getting a luxury sports car that you can drive with the piece of mind knowing it will never take a dump on you by means of a huge maintence bill. I love EVERYTHING about the 911 over the sc430 except for just the reliability which will probably hold me back from getting one at this point.

I am leaning toward the sc430 and am now posting here so you guys can convince me that I am making the wrong move. I will be going to grad school, so I really will need a car that will be extremly dependable and not lay me with a large maintence bill ever pretty much lol. Is this really a situation of where the 911 might be too rich for my blood as far as maintence costs over the 4-5 years or so driving 15k miles a year that I expect to keep the car? Please enlighten me rennlisters!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, after reading all the post, I am going to sell my 996, it is such a bad investment.............pssst, yea right, I havent spent a dime on my car except for expendibles. Good thing I know how to work on it, I have the manuals, 82,XXX miles and still rollin'. There is some parts on the car that could put a strain on the wallet if they broke, i.e. $675 a piece oil pumps (2), $1200 intermediate shaft, $875 A/C compressor, and others items that could drive you to but I have had good luck so far. Knock on wood.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:18 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I was in a similar situation, the difference is that I already graduated. I took my lifetime savings $20k and realized my dream of owning a 911, I chose a nice 2002 C2 6sp with 32k miles. I put $2k in my 0% APR credit card and finaced the rest. My payments are a lot less than what most people pay for a honda accord. I always dreamed about having a 911 since I was 5 Y.O. I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering and Physics. I got a very good job wich provided me a company vehicle so my 911 stays in my parents garage all week.. some people say that I should have bough a house, others say that I should have saved the money... I wanted a 911 and thats what I got, and couldn't be any happier. I am getting a 4 year extended warranty to help me sleep better... thats my story.. my advice to you is to wait until you graduate and get a decent job.. then realize your dream like I did and do your homework before buying, I did research for many years before buying my 911. Dont buy any car.... just wait, remember, he who endures conquers
Greg
Old 11-11-2006, 09:31 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=CosmosC4S]
Some of you, from previous posts, make it seem like Porsche owners are an elite group, that if you can't buy it cash, you don't belong to the group.

Man, I'm glad someone finally said it!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

I would have sold my mother to drive a Porsche when I was 21. I would have maxed out my credit cards, sold my guitar, anything.

21 is one of the few ages you can actually enjoy a car like this without stressing about it - who gives a **** if he's a little over his head?

Go for a '99 for about 28k, throw a few grand in the bank for maintenance, and drive the hell out of it.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:50 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Why not a Boxster? 25k will buy you a nice Boxster, put 5k in the "rainy day" fund. No shame in starting in a Boxster!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:48 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, I don't think it's a good idea to spend that kind of cash when you are JUST starting life in the real world. It's a bad idea to start out spending your life savings on a car that MAY not be reliable at all. If you guys want to encourage him to spend all his money and go into debt before he even gets a job, thats fine. I say, DON'T get car debt. Just because it's the American way, doesn't mean it's smart. There are SO many more important things in life. Think about your future, security, family, retirement. Your P should come when, and ONLY when you can say everything else in your life is financially stable. Just trying to give GOOD, SOUND advice. I am surprised more P owners don't agree w/ me. Anyhow, it's just my humble opinion, that happens to be right!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Yeah, but the car will hold its value (and his savings), so at most he's risking 10 or 12 grand car loan, which is chump change. He could buy the car for 30k, sell it in 5 years for 23k, and still have his original savings. What else is he going to do, buy a Honda?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:24 PM
ahayvi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
DUDE -

I was in a very similar situation at the same age 10 years ago.

Can you tell us a little more about your situation?
Where do you live? How close are you to graduating? What will your degree be in?
If it were me, i'd buy something like a GTI or WRX and have no car payments and wait till the point where you can get the 911 that you really want and with a warranty.
I live in orange county california. UC Irvine student, psych major.

I already have a z and think its a nice car and all but the porsche has and always will be my dream car. Its such a unique car that there simply is no substitution for it.

The reason the SC is my second choice is because of its smooth ride and beautiful interior.

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
Excellent suggestion

My car history went

Instead of rushing out and spending that $23k on a depreciating liability that gives you lots of fun, why not use it as a downpayment on an investment property that will give you money every month? I put down about that amount of money on each property I purchase and get about $600 a month after repairs etc in free cash (before income tax)

The money ive saved up cant even get me a few square feet of land where I live.

And finally, I will be spending my money on a car. I have a reliable good paying job that has got me the money ive saved up AND I am positive the car loan will be payed off for by the time I graduate and move on to grad school. The only thing I really wanna know is if i should expect to pay so much money on the 996 in maintence that my entire plan of having a reliable car for 4-5 years without having to put forth any kind of money down for anything thats not a oil change. I know that stupid little problems with pcars can still run you about 500 bucks just to fix, I simply cant afford to be paying for costly maintence/repairs at this point of my life.

I really cant picture myself during my middle aged or older years driving a 911 (no disrespect) . I honestly have/want it all. I have a nice car and a beautiful gf but to drive the 911 during the prime years of my life........ WHHOOOOOOO! thats the sh*t, or as you older folks call it, the american dream or something. lolololol
Old 11-12-2006, 04:28 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by ahayvi
I live in orange county california. UC Irvine student, psych major.

I already have a z and think its a nice car and all but the porsche has and always will be my dream car. Its such a unique car that there simply is no substitution for it.

The reason the SC is my second choice is because of its smooth ride and beautiful interior.

The money ive saved up cant even get me a few square feet of land where I live.

And finally, I will be spending my money on a car. I have a reliable good paying job that has got me the money ive saved up AND I am positive the car loan will be payed off for by the time I graduate and move on to grad school. The only thing I really wanna know is if i should expect to pay so much money on the 996 in maintence that my entire plan of having a reliable car for 4-5 years without having to put forth any kind of money down for anything thats not a oil change. I know that stupid little problems with pcars can still run you about 500 bucks just to fix, I simply cant afford to be paying for costly maintence/repairs at this point of my life.

I really cant picture myself during my middle aged or older years driving a 911 (no disrespect) . I honestly have/want it all. I have a nice car and a beautiful gf but to drive the 911 during the prime years of my life........ WHHOOOOOOO! thats the sh*t, or as you older folks call it, the american dream or something. lolololol
I'm in my late 20's so I'm not an example of some of the middle aged people on here, but i think that buying a 996 at the year you want to get and keeping it for 4-5 years is likely to be more maintenance intensive than you maybe able to deal with

I didn't realise you were going to grad school as well. Unless your parents are bankrolling you (an enviable situation that I never had the benefit of), I think that it is maybe not the best plan.

Although we aren't talking F or L cars here, where if you have to ask about cost then you really shouldn't be asking about buying, we are still talking about a vehicle that was not that far off $100,000 new that has associated higher running costs

I personally would not go there right now since you have such a long way to go before getting out of school, but thats just me. A boxster give 80% of the porsche experience for a lot less money going in and less in terms of insurance and other running costs
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 PM
s14roller
Racer

If you want a 996 ultimately, just get it now...

If you're anything like me, you'll end up buying the SC, drive it for a year, and desire the 996 anyway. Probably sell the SC for a bit of a loss, then buy the 996. I say, skip the loss part

Just get it done!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
joey c
Pro

i would spend 17K on a 3.2 911..its more than enough car for you and they are reliable.its cheaper than a new accord or camry..the other thing is to save the money.you can always get a p-car in the future.or lease a new boxster for maybe 500-600 month..no warranty issues..and maybe buy it at the end..i will say that my 3.2 has been lots of fun..more fun and reliable than the 2 new boxsters i owned and the 993..and although its a lot slower and older than the the 996..its more fun imo.j

Quick Reply: The Fate of me getting a 996 or a sc430 rests in your hands.I need everyones opinion!