Originally Posted by PTpeecar
you need to check your facts.
A SEARCH ON 'POUROUS BLOCK' IN 996 FORUM
Old 11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just because it gets repeated doesn't make it true.
i repeat. the 98-99 boxster engine had some issues with pourous block castings, not the 996
different car, different engines
i bought a 99 96 and lived on rennlist and other boards since 99.
there have been rms issues, and occasional blown engine issues.
show me please, any evidence of a pourous engine castings on a 996.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can definitely tell a performance difference when I put my hard top on or take it off in the spring!

Bought my 99 cab new in 99.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the early 99's were *very* quick.... I have one produced on 03/98 and it's fast... in fact here is an article you can read about a 99 Carrera:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=200086

that's as fast as they get.....

the 02 cars have more "engine flexibility" meaning a flatter torque curve... also quick cars as well... the light chassis and throttle cable of the 99 makes it feel great during hard drivign... and they use motronic 5.2 which responds better to a GIAC flash than 00-05 cars (they use motronic 7.x)...

also keep in mind this article has tested a car with 17" rims... that also makes a big difference... probably 1 full second in the 0-100 mph time... you can always get lightweight 18" rims to offset the difference but that is some serious $$$.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 AM
Molly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the one I drove I believe had 17" stock wheels and yes I would assume that would be a big factor by giving less rot. mass, lower final drive ratio, etc. I just cannot get over how fast it felt. I will drive some more in the coming days and weeks. In fact, though I leased one new a few years ago and drove it daily for 30 months, I went and tested an 03 M3 the same day, which is a very fast car, and it did not even seem to compare to this one 996.

As for the engine issues, I've been given so much anecdotal advice, usually suggesting I stay away from 99 996s because of engine failures. Also, one of the most respected service contract companies out there (Warranty Direct, I actually own a business and do some business with them and know some of their execs) no longer will cover 996s due to the engine problems. Sure enough, go right to their site, do a quote, and you will see that they cover all Porsches except that one. Hmmm.

I guess RMS is not that big of a deal, I just don't want to get stuck buying a whole motor one day. So in that regard, I tend to want to look at newer 996s. On the other hand that sweet 99 I drove was just insane, and it is right there waiting for me, for a good price, only about 5 miles from my house. The only reason I don't have it in my 3rd garage which is sitting there all clean and empty waiting for a P car, is because it's a cab and I wanted a coupe. But maybe a cab will do...
Old 11-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

perhaps the 99's did have more engine failures... if you can find out or if there is data somewhere posted on WHEN in the life of the car these engine failures occur that would be of importance.... for example.... if a car doesn't have RMS for the first 40,000 miles.. it's never going to have it... and if you get it once... statistical evidence says your getting it again....

I have a friend who avoided an early MY 99 and bought a 2001 only to have his engine replaced... hmm... there must be an "interval" where all engine failures requiring replacement occur... and beyond that if you've passed it I say your fine (unless you take it to the track and haven't installed the porsche *oiling* kit - KABOOM)...
Old 11-12-2006, 01:48 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
I think the early 99's were *very* quick.... I have one produced on 03/98 and it's fast... in fact here is an article you can read about a 99 Carrera:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=200086

that's as fast as they get.....
Not really. That is a test of a Euro pre-production car, not the test of a US production car; so it has no credibility. Keep in mind that pre-production cars are tweaked and usually lacking safety equipment (side airbags, door beams and improved bumpers) that is finalized for production. Car and Driver also tested a pre-production Euro car in December 1997 that was able to run a 13.2 @107 and had a weight of 2900 lbs.

Car and Driver tested 3 99' US production Carreras and not a single one weighed less than 3100 lbs or could run faster than a 13.4 (the first of these tested in May 1998). Coincidentally, neither Motor Trend, Automobile or Road & Track were able to get a production 99' Carrera to go any faster. I wouldn't recommend to put any credit in a pre-production road test. If you really want to find out what your car weighs, put it on a truck or livestock scale (remember to zero the scale first).

There are better results on the 3.6l side. Both Car & Driver and Motor Trend each had a long term 3.6l US production C4S in their test fleets. Even with the extra weight (the one in Car and Driver weighed 3424 lbs), they had much better results. Car and Driver got a 13.0 @ 108 while Motor Trend got a 12.9 @ 108.7, both significantly faster than any 3.4l either ever tested despite the weight. Unfortunately, neither tested a 3.6l C2 for comparison; but both C4S tests were at least a half second and 4 mph faster than any of the early 3.4l C4's they tested. On the European side, Autocar did test a production Euro spec 02' 3.6l Carrera in December 01' that ran a 12.9@112, yes still faster than the early pre-production 3.4l car they tested.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

it does have credibility... its YOUR assumption that they are tweaked and usually lacking safety equipment.... so that car had no door beams? no side air bags? and improved bumpers... well that's your opinion and willing to bet that it did.

motortrend did test a 99 that did 60 in 4.6 and the quarter in 13.1 ... and for the records were not talking about C4 just C2's and *MY1999 specificaly with throttle cable* and *NOT* model year 2000-2001 with E-GAS... I have no data on the C4's... yes the 3.6 C4S is fast but I can still pull one in my C2 and I've done (very very slowly) so lets not start a flame war here... it's the only reason I get on here and give my opinion cause I've raced one from a rolling start....

here is a link with a lot documented accel times... the 3.6 engine does have great engine flexibility - i.e. - a wider torque curve...

http://www.weissach.net/996-997_RoadTestSummary.html

here is another site where you can compare a 99 to an 02 in the dropdown listbox and compare laptimes...

www.track-challenge.com

pretty similar... nobody is blowing anybody else away... and again were not talking about any 3.4... but the MY99 3.4 cars... from 1998-1999

cheers
P.

Quick Reply: 99 C2 vs other years, re: performance