OT: Suggestions for inexpensive commuter car/SUV

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I drive an 06 Ford Hybrid Escape and have been very happy with it. FWD or AWD.
My daughter drives an 05 4cyl AWD Escape; both have been very reliable.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this thread on the porsche forum????
Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dallasboats
Why is this thread on the porsche forum????
Because I value opinions from Porsche owners and other Rennlisters

BTW, I clearly say "OT" in the subject line.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 AM
dallasboats
Pro

I think you should buy another Porsche........................
Old 11-10-2006, 11:18 AM
fw2001c4
Advanced

i went thru this process myself when i made my c4 purchase in may. i was gonna use it as a daily river.... after a week, i couldnt stomach leaving the car in the commuter parking lot and the harm that could result from 2.5 mile drive each way.

i considered all the things you mentioned.... and one more. depreciation. i only considered japanese cars for their stellar reliability and low maintenance costs. i dont think any others come close. when i polled many, many friends who own japanese cars, not one complained of high maint/repair costs. in fact, most said they've done NOTHING other than change oil at 20-35 a pop at dealers for 10-15yrs at which point they sold or gave away. i didnt have a budget... i woulda spent 40k if i felt overall cost was gonna be cheapest. but ultimately, the biggest cost is the depreciation. so with depreciation and low maintenace in mind, i eliminated some cars i woulda really liked to have owned - jetta, saab 9-3, a4, is250.... what i consider fun cars.

do wanna mention how much i love the is250. it is a beaut... to me, any way. gorgeous lines. the interior is impeccable, just oozing luxury and class. i only looked at the awd and i was surprised at how sporty it felt. not at all what i expected of a lexus. i test drove gs before i bought my audi a6 a few yrs back and hated the mushy feel. everything was standard on the awd except nav. im talking leather, moonroof, ventilated seats, paddle tip shifter. i got it down to under 31k. i think comparably equipped 325xi would cost 10k more. only drawback was rear seats not fit for adults. kids would be ok, i think. no question in my mind this car is one of the BEST values out there. you dont need an awd being in SF so youd get in even lower. this was for an 06.

i test drove:

06 mazda 6 - liked the car. the feel, most sporty of the bunch. brand doesnt sell well and is discounted heavily. doesnt hold value as well as toyota or honda.

07 camry - brand new retooled model. i liked the exterior. interior seemed cheap with lots of plastic. would buy if px was right.

06 outback/legacy sedan - like subarus a lot. awd is nice as i had on a6 and snow is an issue in no suburb of nyc. ride is firmer than camry or accord. tho not as sporty as mazda. decent interior. heavily discounted back in may. decent styling on legacy sedan. outback wagon i think is good looking for what it is. came in a tad more than i woulda liked as total ownership cost was my biggest consideration. not as popular as camry/accord - what is??? - and hence same concern as mazda. i figured that cars with limited audience always suffers when time to sell. it's always harder to sell AND at a lower price.

06 accord - the winner. i bght the vp trim - stripped is what it is but includes all the things i wanted: side curtain airbags, abs, pw, pl - auto for 16,700. the slowdown in car sales forcing mfrs and dealer to really discount. i was amazed that this accord was cheaper than the civic(new and very much in demand), chepaer than similar camry by 2700. i didnt think i can fetch 2700 more for the camry when the time comes for me to sell - min 6yrs, prob 8-10. seats not real good but tolerable. ive already done biz trips to boston(500mi r/t) and i was not uncomfortable.

i feel very confident that accord will serve me well, and cheaply. and that is all i ask of a station car. if you really want an awd, subarus warrant strong consideration. for me, at the end, i didnt wanna spend extra 3-5k for either subaru because i thought i would get 1-2k at BEST 8yrs down the road. more money for me to spend on my c4.

anyway, these are my impressions. check insideline on edmunds site to see what real people are paying. tons of info there.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello
My wife just replaced her 540 wagon with an Audi A3. It's suprisingly roomy, has the "fun factor" with the 2.0 turbo, DSG and the S-Line package, and the interior is very female-friendly.
Our local Porsche dealer service mgr has an A3 2.0 and he's taken me for some hot laps at Shannonville Motorsports Park......much fun, especially with the chip flash that gets it to 250hp.
She's looking forward to a few track days with it.....next season unfortunately as winter will be upon us soon in Canada...boo
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM
s14roller
Racer

Another vote for a Accord if it has to be new...personally I'd pick up a used TL and call it a day.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Camry
Old 11-10-2006, 05:16 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by discoganya
I was all for the xB ... but the wife hates it.
If you don't mind a two-door, try a Scion Tc (Xb is too boxy)
Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Three words: SU BA RU. We're on our sixth and have loved them all. The one we miss the most sounds like the one that would be exactly what you're looking for...the Forester.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 PM
vegascomedy
Instructor

Originally Posted by discoganya
I was all for the xB ... but the wife hates it.

Xb is a great little car. I hated it too until I drove it. Easy to drive, pretty comfortable, great on gas and good resale if you want to get rid of it.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: OT: Suggestions for inexpensive commuter car/SUV