Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

If this is full leather, what do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
Default If this is full leather, what do I have?

Hi there,

First, let me say "hello" to everyone. A couple of years ago I owned a 993 and visited Rennlist regularly. However, a change in my driving needs resulted in the sale of my Iris Blue 993 and adding a G35 Coupe to my garage. No flames please.

In any case, a few months ago I got back into the Porsche family by acquiring a 2003 996 with less than 5K and bumper to bumper warranty. It's a really nice driving car and easier than the 993.

The previous owner spec'd the car out with supple leather and full leather. I am very pleased because I wasn't keen on the quality of the plastics of other 996 cars when I was shopping. However, I became quite puzzled after reading a number of threads in this forum and seeing this site:

http://www.geocities.com/porsche_interior/fleather.jpg

My "full leather" package doesn't look like this diagram. A few of the differences:

The bose speaker grills are covered in leather, the ones on the dash and in the door panels.
The air vent sections are also leather including the actual vents themselves. No kidding, the individual slots are covered in leather.
The center vents are also leather
Ditto on the ignition surround and headlight switch
Even the seat backs and sides are leather

In fact, I was really hard pressed to find any part of the interior which is vinyl. Initially, I thought "wow" when Porsche says "full leather" they mean FULL leather. But now I'm puzzled as to the disparity.

Was this a mid year change or some sort of special order by the previous owner?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-05-2006, 12:48 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have everything you mention plus the seat adjustment ***** and lower escution plate, pockets on seat backs (Sports Seats) A pillers, instrument surround, trim between steering column and instruments, steering column parts, sun visors, windshield upper inside trim, upper center console, A/C control surround, batwing, and all the trim inside the removable top (Cabriolet). Full leather does not include these extras, some of which were offered on an additional Large Leather Package option. Others are offered individually as an Exclusive Option which are listed on the option sticker under your front trunk lid. These will have an "X" prefix and usually have a 3 digit number designating the item. My car is heavily optioned with 29 different "X" Exclusive Options.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:18 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a carbon fiber or wood package? I have the full wood package in addition to full leather, so they put some extra leather on my car as some of the items overlap - like the air vents, side mirror buttons, speaker covers, ignition and hazard surrounds, etc.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:51 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi guys,

Thanks for the additional information.

Nick49 - LOL, I looked again and sure enough the seat control area is done up in leather. By the way, so is the surround piece for the side mirror adjustment. Crazy...

Rob in WA - I don't have any additional trim packages other than "full leather" in graphite and supple front & rear. Wish I did, because as nice as the graphite gray is, it would be nice to break up the monochromatic look a bit with aluminum or carbon fibre.

I checked the sticker under the front trunk and see about a dozen+ options starting with "X", is there a place to look these up? I also reviewed the original Window Sticker. The thing which was confusing was that individual items were not broken out. There are basically two line items concerning leather which when added up cost about $7,200.00. However, all that can be discerned from the window sticker is "full leather option".

I am assuming that basic Full Leather is significantly cheaper than $7,200.00?

By the way, all complaints about the interior quality of the 996 pretty much vanish once everything is covered in leather. Now, if only they had covered the cheesy steering column stalks...

Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes full leather ( at least for MY01 ) was $3,215.00 (full wood was $7,790.00), so you've got a lot of extras done up in leather.

Here you can look up the options listed on your bonnet:

Option Code Look Up

Quick Reply: If this is full leather, what do I have?