Sponsored by:

Cams at FVD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:45 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams at FVD?

Has anyone tried the sport cams from FVD? Considering getting a set if performance is there, figured someone would be using this on the track?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to ask is it worth the money to do the cams. The labor to replace them and consider the cost for a new ecu will run you at least $4,000 or more for labor and a new ecu in addition to the cost of the cams. I suspect that there is no more then 35 HP at most so its a pretty expensive conversion. Also consider sometimes cams just bump the HP in the upper RPMs so you won't gain any real day to day power since we spend most of our time under 5000 rpms.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$4000 for labor to swap cams??Yikes! @ your base $100/per hour labor rate, thats 40 hours! Theres no way it could take 40 hours to swap cams.

I am also considering this for my 3.4 swap into my boxster. I think FVD automatically does this when they do their swap, and they reporgram the ecu to account for the hotter cams, and they say it does make a nice, noticable difference to the butt dyno.

does anybody have them in their 996????? Inquiring minds want to know? How much did it cost to install em?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a set in a customers cars once i dont know who made them, car didnt idel all that well after or even drive ok at part throttle , he was supposed to take it somewhere and get it tuned (chipped) but I dont think he ever did. The car ran ok at wot it was noticeable maybe been beter with a decent tune.
Labor thorugh the shop 28 hours would about do it.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:56 AM
dallasboats
Pro

I figured this would be around $1k to install, guess wrong.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not through a dealer, and your brave man having joe schmo do it
Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Bump. Sad this thread got burried over the weekend. I'd like to see more threads like this and like to hear anyone else's feedback if it exists.

Maybe JimB or other racers would have some insight...but I think he's running an X51 3.6 in his car now.

Andy
Old 11-06-2006, 11:13 AM
racing97
Banned

Let me chime in hear and advise you to never install a camshaft that the salesman cannot specifically tell you what is different about his cam vs. your cam. Most of the emission compliant profiles have a slight increase in lift to accomodate a little more duration, the increase in lift is to skirt the trajectory issue with the duration increase. After the duration has been increased the lobe centers need to be spread apart so that the overlap will not effect the emission readings.
If someone cannot explain this simple paradigm don't but his stuff. They even cannot tell you these things at PMNA make them so you don't end up with something that is worse or at best equal to what you have.

Best reagards
Old 11-06-2006, 06:13 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by dallasboats
I figured this would be around $1k to install, guess wrong.
Depending where you go, labor cost will be between $ 2,500 to $ 3,500.00 for labor. But please keep in mind, unless you have headers, sports cats, and the proper software program for this upgrade, don't waste you time. Properly installed with all the parts you need , you will see 50 to 55 HP more @ the crank.

Park Place Porsche did a few power kits with the cams a while back. Contact Randall Johston if you need input on the cars they did.

Theo
Old 11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Thank you. I've done everything but the cams, however maybe my software would need an update? Has anyone tried the FVD throttle body upgrade? That was another thing I've been pondering.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM
gps-marc
Track Day

hey guys, i had been reading the header/exhaust thread before I took a look at this one and I was thinking exactly the same thing as GREEK-TURBO-RACER. I've done alot of engine/exhaust development work and it all works hand in hand, a stock engine with race headers/exhaust may not pick up that much. Once you add cams, then the headers and exhaust start to add more to the whole package. It's my opinion that the increased scavenging effect from the headers helps more then the camshaft profile is more radical, and has more overlap.

-Marc
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you ever read the manual for installing the cams, you start sweating just thinking about how much work it is and the kicker, special tooling to install the cams. There is a lot of special tools that AutoZone doesnt carry, lol.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by Tippy
If you ever read the manual for installing the cams, you start sweating just thinking about how much work it is and the kicker, special tooling to install the cams. There is a lot of special tools that AutoZone doesnt carry, lol.

Forgot to mention about the special tools. Without the special cam tools to line them up properly for each bank, there is a BIG risk to bend the valves and further damage the motor. Yes ... this has happened by shops who THOUGHT they knew how to install them. Even some dealers have had problems . Park Place Porsche though had no problems.

Theo

Quick Reply: Cams at FVD?