Sponsored by:

MD Area Winter Prep

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default MD Area Winter Prep

With all of this winter talk going my first winter with the Pcar has got me thinking.

What do you guys (and girls) do in the Maryland area with your Pcar for the winter? I dont have a garage yet, and I generally keep it under cover. I do not have snow tires and dont plan on buying any. It is a weekend car (c2) and I would still like to drive the car a fair bit on nice days and small trips (family in Richmond), do you guys still take it out every once in a while for a quick jog? Is there anything I should be aware of coming from my DD Maxima?(summer tires...)

I appreciate your thoughts!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take mine out all year unless it's snowing. I do cover it from time to time since I don't have a garage yet either.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:43 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice that makes me feel better...Anyone else?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 AM
chuckla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought snow tires last year and the C4S ran great on everything but hard packed ice. If you are running summers, forget about driving in snow or even wet pavement with temps in the low to mid 30s. In prior winters, I put the P car away and drove an old beater Jeep. Highly unsatisfactory plus the Jeep was almost more dangerous than the P car in snow. Maybe you can find a buddy who will let you store your summers because running your car in the winter is well worth it.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It's my daily driver...but if there's snow in the forecast, I'll be driving another vehicle that has snow tires or 4x4.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cohare
With all of this winter talk going my first winter with the Pcar has got me thinking.

What do you guys (and girls) do in the Maryland area with your Pcar for the winter? I dont have a garage yet, and I generally keep it under cover. I do not have snow tires and dont plan on buying any. It is a weekend car (c2) and I would still like to drive the car a fair bit on nice days and small trips (family in Richmond), do you guys still take it out every once in a while for a quick jog? Is there anything I should be aware of coming from my DD Maxima?(summer tires...)

I appreciate your thoughts!
I don't live in Maryland, but I am also without garage and won't get one unless the Swiss allow more land development
This has meant some research and working out the best way to do things. I purchased a cocoon from www.classiccarcocoon.com and today in partnership with my Covercraft car cover www.covercraft.com which is fitted first, my 996 C4 went to bed for winter today.
This will be my first time in almost a decade when I won't be driving a Porsche in winter, but after the rust problems on my 964 C4 I decided a winter beater is best. Here in Switzerland they tend to salt the road and get around the clearing it in their own sweet time. Last year 2000 tons of salt were used and no matter what anyone says this stuff gets up and inside the cars and if it finds exposed metal it causes rust. It also attacks the exposed elements of the engine.
Besides the beater cost me less than a set of new winter tyres.
If you intend driving on summer tyres even on a dry road in winter I would be careful. When the road temperature reaches 7C (45F) the summer tyre compounds harden. Your grip is reduced and your braking distance even with ABS increases. Porsche and many others release this data every year here in Europe. The motoring TV shows often have some quite graphic tests and demonstrations. Here in Switzerland you will get a 750CHF fine if you have an accident on summer tyres from today until March 31st regardless of fault.
Winter requires winter tyres and to drive on anything else is your choice and your risk.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: I have no affiliation with either of these companies I mention in this post and their products are quite expensive, but from what I have seen so far they will do the job admirably. When the covers come off next March I guess I will be able to give a fuller assessment. First snow is forecast for tomorrow and the hail came today.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 PM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm lucky. My car will stay in the garage and I'll drive it once every week or so on nice days. I have a Jeep daily for the winters and commutes.

Pete

Quick Reply: MD Area Winter Prep