Sponsored by:

Air Bag "on-off" Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM
dwccfp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag "on-off" Switch

Has anyone installed an Air Bag "on-off" switch?? I have seen the ones from Sensible Solutions, LLC 877-773-7908 or 301-473-7908. www.airbagonoff.com Has anyone dealt with these people??

I take two 7 year old's to school every morning and it would much easier to put one of them in the front seat.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can get the child seat bar which disables the pass air bag from porsche
Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche sells an airbag cut off device, in fact see THIS THREAD.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
dwccfp
Intermediate

When I called the closest dealership, Newport Beach, CA (FYI, a bunch of f#&@king snobs) they advised they did not have a switch for my 02 C4S nor would install one due to the liability of which I understood.

I would be interested in what it looks like, where to buy and if member Drannon still has one for sale. I know you have to get U.S. Department of Transportation to authorize prior to the switch installation. I have already received my approval
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

its the child seat deactivaction bar. it onlt disables when the bar is plugged in
part number
996 803 083 01

has to be turned on by the dealer with a ps2t or a piwis
Old 10-30-2006, 06:49 PM
dwccfp
Intermediate

Can I un-plug the bar when an adult is in the passenger seat, then re-plug for my morning drive to 2nd grade?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

yes the air bag is only disabled when the the child seat bar is buckled. you would need just an old buckle to plug in to turn off the air bag
Old 10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by dwccfp
Can I un-plug the bar when an adult is in the passenger seat, then re-plug for my morning drive to 2nd grade?
To be clear:

The airbag deactivation bar normally comes with a OE child seat. It is also available separately on Ebay and from some parts sources.

The bar is attached to the forward end of the two pax side seat rails, and lies almost flush on the floor. Very unobtrusive. A single electrical plug then is inserted from the bar to a waiting connection under the seat. The other end of this wire is in a very normal looking female seat belt buckle that is attached to the bar and lies flat on your floor, almost under the front edge of the seat.

When an OE child seat is placed in the pax seat, it includes a seat belt like strap that hangs down to the floor. On the end of this strap is a specially shaped male seat belt end that is inserted into the deactivation bar female part. When inserted, it turns off the pax side airbag. I have supplied a full scale scan of this specially shaped male insert to several people who then cut a seat belt male end to match it. I have also heard that it matches a 944 male end. If you buy only the deactivation bar, you will need some source for this male buckle end.

I cut this strap and removed the male buckle end so that I could insert it when my the older children were in the seat without a car seat. I keep it in the center console so its handy. Of course, Porsche couldn't have given me the option to simply cut off the airbag with a keyed switch, the way my wife's Toyota does.

I looked at the wiring, and attempted to diagnose its function ... thinking I could simply insert a toggle switch to accomplish the same thing electrically that happens when the buckle is inserted. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing normally .... but had no luck in tracing what happens electrically.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Test point- Child seat detection:
Connect ohmmeter to plug, pin 23 and ground Plug of child seat not inserted. Display: approx. 2k ohms.
Plug of child seat inserted.
Display approx. 260 ohms.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

toggle switch really "should" work never really htouht about it, would still need to get the ecu coded to have child seat bar
Old 11-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris996
Test point- Child seat detection:
Connect ohmmeter to plug, pin 23 and ground Plug of child seat not inserted. Display: approx. 2k ohms.
Plug of child seat inserted.
Display approx. 260 ohms.
Thanks, Chris.

With that info, I'll give it another try. What I did initally was to simply unplug the deactivation bar harness from its connector under the seat. Then, I connected a meter to the two contacts of the lead coming out of the buckle/bar assembly. Watching my VOM while I inserted the male portion, I assumed I would see a connection between the two contacts made .... or broken. I don't know what else inserting the male buckle into the female buckle could accomplish. On my meter, I saw no change in continuity across the contacts as I inserted and removed the buckle.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 PM
dwccfp
Intermediate

I sure appreciate all the advice you "veterans" have regarding our P cars. I am very happy to have found this board.

Thanks again to all
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 AM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the deactivation bar installed in my 03 Boxster S. Kid outgrew the zoom seat so I cut the male part of the buckle off of the zoom seat to deactivate without child seat present. Bought a 996. Dealer charged $250 to remove bar and un-program the 986. I ditched the metal bar and just plugged the female buckle and harness into 996. Dealer charged $40 to program 996. My point is this: If you find the bar and a male buckle, you don't necessarily need to bolt-in the bar, just slide off the female buckle, plug it in and ask the dealer to program it. You can use any child seat as long as you have the male buckle, female receptacle and car programmed to recognize them.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by choeglund
Dealer charged $250 to remove bar and un-program the 986. I ditched the metal bar and just plugged the female buckle and harness into 996. Dealer charged $40 to program 996.
I did the bar mechanics my self. Just 2 seat rail bolts. The only function the bar appears to serve is to lessen the chance the wires will be jerked out of the connector by someone who pulls the child seat without unbuckling the insert. I, too, cut the buckle insert loose.

My indy mechanic didn't charge me a cent for programming. Just brought the PST2 out to the parking lot and programmed for child seat in about 5 minutes. Said, "I appreciate your business".

Quick Reply: Air Bag "on-off" Switch