Sponsored by:

Variocam engagement abrupt

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm not sure how thicker oil will smooth out the cam shift (good or bad Ben). There really isn't any magic going on. There is an on/off (not variable) switch that changes which cam lobes are used. You have two sets of lobes, a taller center as I recall with a shorter lobe on each side. You might be able to zoom in on the picture in the X51 thread and see them. I think the valves have to be being lifted by one or the other. I don't think there is an in-between.

When we put the 3.6L in my 1999 race car the computer didn't have the ability to shift the cams so we just put a switch on the dash and did it manually. Later I added an RPM switch it do it. We shifted them at 2500 which worked fine. The car runs great on the high rpm lobes except at idle.

Not sure why I wrote this. Just trivia I guess.
Jim

The change in abruptness is because of the ability of the thicker oil to maintain lifter pressure better at the time of the change.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1999, what do you do for a living and what's your Porsche history? If you don't mind me asking
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
The change in abruptness is because of the ability of the thicker oil to maintain lifter pressure better at the time of the change.
I'm not sure I follow that. The lifter is always contacting one lobe or the other right? It's not like they bounce up and slowly come down. So they are always being driven by either the tall lobes or the short ones I think. And like I said, it's an on/off switch that controls them. I sure could be wrong though. I'm better behind the wheel than under the car.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i waspreviously running 0W-40. i use the Porsche approved oils as my guide line. (0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50). just my choice, others have there opinions.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm not sure I follow that. The lifter is always contacting one lobe or the other right? It's not like they bounce up and slowly come down. So they are always being driven by either the tall lobes or the short ones I think. And like I said, it's an on/off switch that controls them. I sure could be wrong though. I'm better behind the wheel than under the car.
These have hydraulic lifters, not solid which cushions the change in lift. 0W40 often cushions it too much.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

>The change in abruptness is because of the ability of the thicker oil to maintain lifter pressure better at the time of the change.

See, that's the opposite of what I've read or heard... The Porsche tech was saying to stick with 0-40 oil, as recommended by the factory, because thicker oil (say 15-50) would mess up the smoothness of the transition ! I also read there was a software update that made it better, but the dealer never heard of it... Anyway, I don't know the technicalities, but I am glad to hear it's not just my car ;-)
Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my two cents. hydrolic valves have narrow passages that the oil flows into. thinner oil flows easier in to these channels.
i imagine the thinner oil, 0W, allows the variocam to activate faster. the thicker oil activates a little bit slower making for a smoother cross over. this may compromise performance (delayed switchover) for comfort, i.e. smoother transition. everything has it's trade-offs.
the variocam as i understand it also includes a change over in the intake runner length which could also lead to an abrupt change over.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

On that note, I wish they had not set the cutoff at 3200 rpm, or thereabouts, or that it'd be moveable... If you drive in 6th on the freeways, that translates to about 80-85 mph, my daily average, so I am always cutting in and out of variocam activation... I either need to slow down or speed up ;-)
Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 PM
wrljet
Racer

For those who aren't up on this, there are two aspects to the Variocam Plus.
One is the timing of the camshaft with respect to its drive chain. The other is the valve lift.

The lift is controlled by a coaxial hydraulic lifter. Switching between the two cam lobes is
a binary affair (at any given lifter).

Timing is controlled by oil filled chambers with vanes similar to the motors
in air tools and some power steering pumps. There's a nightmare of fluid
valving to control it. One can see how using the wrong oil could affect it.
(I'll leave the argument over what's right to somebody else)

I've uploaded a PDF that described pretty well how all this works.

http://www.wrljet.com/junk/2002_996.pdf

Starts on page 12.

Bill
Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
my two cents. hydrolic valves have narrow passages that the oil flows into. thinner oil flows easier in to these channels.
i imagine the thinner oil, 0W, allows the variocam to activate faster. the thicker oil activates a little bit slower making for a smoother cross over. this may compromise performance (delayed switchover) for comfort, i.e. smoother transition. everything has it's trade-offs.
the variocam as i understand it also includes a change over in the intake runner length which could also lead to an abrupt change over.
Although the thinner oil may get into the lifter faster, and oil pressure plays an important role in getting the oil in there, compression plays a bigger role in the oil leaving the lifter and therefore, the thinner oil will leave sooner. The shifting of the cam increases the valve lash temporarily, causing the jerky feeling.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 PM
wrljet
Racer

Just FYI, that PDF I put on the web is 12MB and the server is acting kinda sluggish.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
now is the heavier oil making things better cuz it supposedly smooths it out or is the "abruptness" , which it really is not abrupt, the natural function/design result of porsche engineering?

not sure why people are insinuating that smoother is better inthis case
I'm pretty sure most here have not driven a VTEC car like an S2000 Ben. By comparison the Porsche system is very smooth.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrljet
For those who aren't up on this, there are two aspects to the Variocam Plus.
One is the timing of the camshaft with respect to its drive chain. The other is the valve lift.

The lift is controlled by a coaxial hydraulic lifter. Switching between the two cam lobes is
a binary affair (at any given lifter).

Timing is controlled by oil filled chambers with vanes similar to the motors
in air tools and some power steering pumps. There's a nightmare of fluid
valving to control it. One can see how using the wrong oil could affect it.
(I'll leave the argument over what's right to somebody else)

I've uploaded a PDF that described pretty well how all this works.

http://www.wrljet.com/junk/2002_996.pdf

Starts on page 12.

Bill
Bill, If I'm not mistaken, what people are feeling at 3500 is the valve lift. The timing shift is somewhere between 5800 and 6200. It's what's happening when you see that big dip in your dyno chart.

The timing shift is also binary. If you power the switch, your cam chain tensioner is on one side, if you don't power its on the other.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray S
I'm pretty sure most here have not driven a VTEC car like an S2000 Ben. By comparison the Porsche system is very smooth.
if you're talking about WOT, yes you can't tell in the porsche just like vanos in the M cars. i will say that the F22C in the S2000 is very smooth even when powering through WOT. i'm a Honda engineering fan.

however, at partial throttle, you don't notice the switchover at all in the VTEC system whereas in the vario case, it sounds like people do notice the variocam since something is going on. maybe in the vtec system it simply doesn't hit the more aggressive lobes?... **** the name escapes me.

i hear though that the BMW double vanos is the most advanced. I'm loving their V10 in the M5/6. what's crazy is, i also hear that bmw will not CPO the V10 cars.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:06 PM
wrljet
Racer

The chain tensioner scheme is for the non-Plus version, no?

Quick Reply: Variocam engagement abrupt