Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DE thoughts 996 C4 vs. Elise from the track...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:25 AM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DE thoughts 996 C4 vs. Elise from the track...

I drove both my 996 C4 and my Elise at a DE on Pocono North and noticed the following:

1) 996 felt way more stable and managable (felt slower)
2) 996 was faster on the super speedway and the road sections (didn't time, but I could tell from keeping up and passing other cars
3) Lotus was way more fun, but I felt like the input I was giving wasn't smooth enough (all input, steering, throttle, brake)
4) Had to anticipate acceleration points way in advance with the 996, even beginning accelerating before the apex just to get power down at the apex, whereas with the lotus the power was instant when I touched the accelerator
5) All my feelings about how the 996 felt like an SUV compared to the Elise were obliterated... it felt like it was in it's element on the track

It's gonna be a tough call on which car to take out next... I have a feeling I should stick with the Elise because it will help me learn faster... I think the 996 is hiding my mistakes.

Thoughts?

Note: Both have factory suspension setups and factory engine setups. just ordered PSS9's for the 996.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 AM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT: the reason for the nasty timestamp on this post is i'm in china on business and there's not much to do until dinner... so why not post some random thoughts, right?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:15 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both, and do go back and forth depending on my mood and the track. My thoughts:

For the Lotus (stock with sport package): More fun, more precise, better steering feel, easier to throttle steer, faster in tight turns, less body roll, stops better(!), easier on disposables, easier to drive, and the best way to learn a new track.

For the Porsche (PSS9s and Cups): Much faster, more stable at high speeds, more traction, better visbility, more durable, more challenging in general, more comfortable to-and-from the track.

I agree that both cars don't feel nearly as put together or in their element on the street as they do on track. In particular all of the Porsche's quirks, which seem kind of odd on the street, really all come together on the track. It's clear I'll always own at least one rear- or mid-engined car.

Quick Reply: DE thoughts 996 C4 vs. Elise from the track...