Sponsored by:

DIY Headlight bulb replacement on Porsche 996

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Headlight bulb replacement on Porsche 996

So, after having my local dealer's service advisor walk me through the process, I figured out how to change the light bulb on my halogen headlights, I figure I want to share the wealth:

http://www.bankersblog.org/2006/10/d...cement-on.html

Last edited by dimnslow; 09-18-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

FYI....for those of you with a manual and the factory toolkit kit/bag still under the front bonnet the instructions are outlined in the manual and the headlight removal tool is in the kit.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
FYI....for those of you with a manual and the factory toolkit kit/bag still under the front bonnet the instructions are outlined in the manual and the headlight removal tool is in the kit.

...and the best bulbs to put in there would be Sylvania Silverstars.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:38 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Crap... I went out and bought the tools on my own
Old 10-26-2006, 09:45 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just remember to NEVER touch the light bulbs with your bare hands.

EDIT: This needs clarification. The oils from your hand will get on the bulb and could prematurely kill the bulb. Make sure to wear a latex glove or hold the bulb with a tissue.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Anybody try the MotionR bulbs vs. the Sylvania bulbs? The 6000K bulb was recommended by topdaytrader in a previous thread
Old 10-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by oreganet
...and the best bulbs to put in there would be Sylvania Silverstars.

Uh... I took your advice and I'd have to say I'm underwhelmed. As a matter of fact, the difference between the OE Phillips bulbs and the Silverstars is practically invisible. I installed all three of the Silverstars in the left side and left the right side lamp OE. Aside from a very, very subtle color difference they are virtually indistinguishable.

After reading several posts on the subject I have a few questions for those in the know:

I read a couple of comments about yellowing or browning the lens with higher wattage bulbs. I assume the lens must be plastic, but the low beam bulb is quite sheilded from the lens and the high beam is a long way from it, so it strikes me as improbable. Has anyone experienced the yellowing first hand? And is it maybe the reflector that's getting nuked?

Is there an E-code (European) lens available from Porsche? That would have a dramatic effect on illumination from what I've seen with their install on 951's.

And lastly, OSRAM = Sylvania.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:44 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
Uh... I took your advice and I'd have to say I'm underwhelmed. As a matter of fact, the difference between the OE Phillips bulbs and the Silverstars is practically invisible. I installed all three of the Silverstars in the left side and left the right OE. Aside from a very, very subtle color difference they are virtually indistinguishable.

After reading several posts on the subject I have a few questions for those in the know:

I read a couple of comments about yellowing or browning the lens with higher wattage bulbs. I assume the lens must be plastic, but the low beam bulb is quite sheilded from the lens and the high beam is a long way from it, so it strikes me as improbable. Has anyone experienced the yellowing first hand? And is it maybe the reflector that's getting nuked?

Is there an E-code (European) lens available from Porsche? That would have a dramatic effect on illumination from what I've seen with their install on 951's.

And lastly, OSRAM = Sylvania.
I experimented with a few aftermarket HID-look bulbs. I was upgrading to Litronics so I was going to trash the old halogen assemblies anyway. I tried a 75 watt and an 85 watt bulb. Both of them melted the plastic lens after about a week. Do not use higher wattage bulbs. Go with the factory Litronics retrofit kit.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 PM
pchak
Pro

dimnslow, I found this post, and it reminded me of how I had to change a bulb in the Boxster. Great post!

Dell- your case for RTFM works well here. That was the best thing I ever found out of the owner's manual! thanks. It took me a little over 20 minutes, once I stopped trying to plug the litronic cable in the wrong plug on the lamp assy.

As for the Silvania's, I'm not as impressed as I hoped. The high beams look good, but the fog's don't seem "white" enough. The little LED's that I got for the running lights look really good, though.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:57 PM
GNR996
Race Car

Originally Posted by pchak
dimnslow, I found this post, and it reminded me of how I had to change a bulb in the Boxster. Great post!

Dell- your case for RTFM works well here. That was the best thing I ever found out of the owner's manual! thanks. It took me a little over 20 minutes, once I stopped trying to plug the litronic cable in the wrong plug on the lamp assy.

As for the Silvania's, I'm not as impressed as I hoped. The high beams look good, but the fog's don't seem "white" enough. The little LED's that I got for the running lights look really good, though.
Had to replace the marker light on mine, read the manual of course and what a snap..... was impressed just how easy it was. Hope to find other easy DIY's just like that. Other manufacturers should take note.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:27 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

The higher wattage white bulbs looked great, but after a single morning drive 30 minutes my lens began to melt. I have silverstars and they look ok, but they dont melt.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dimnslow
Crap... I went out and bought the tools on my own
Old 03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Just remember to NEVER touch the light bulbs with your bare hands.

EDIT: This needs clarification. The oils from your hand will get on the bulb and could prematurely kill the bulb. Make sure to wear a latex glove or hold the bulb with a tissue.
would that be toilet tissue? Used or unused?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by pchak

Well, glad I helped someone

Whoa, been a while since I been on this board... been residing on 6speed :-p
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys want the whiter effect? Have you tried Hoen? http://www.hoen-usa.com/

Quick Reply: DIY Headlight bulb replacement on Porsche 996