996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 conversion to HID - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I installed Silverstars today. I can't wait to see how they look in the morning on the way to work. The first impression is that they are noticably whiter, although I can't say that they're significantly brighter than the Osram bulbs that were in there. I wish I'd be able to get hold of the Silverstar Ultras... maybe next time.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Glenn, I would not recommend HID retrofit on lights with halogen reflector (as opposed to a projector). Such retrofit will usually produce bright spots and non-uniform light different than a true HID projector light. That means glare to oncoming traffic and bad light pattern for you.

You can read more detail in the following link:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

For whiter and brighter bulbs, you may want to try PIAA xtreme white plus. They have 4000K color, uses the same wattage and DOT approved too. I'm very happy with PIAA bulbs. They're down to $50+/ pair now that HID retrofit kits are getting cheaper and cheaper.

- Ahsai
Old 10-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Glenn, I would not recommend HID retrofit on lights with halogen reflector (as opposed to a projector). Such retrofit will usually produce bright spots and non-uniform light different than a true HID projector light. That means glare to oncoming traffic and bad light pattern for you.

You can read more detail in the following link:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

For whiter and brighter bulbs, you may want to try PIAA xtreme white plus. They have 4000K color, uses the same wattage and DOT approved too. I'm very happy with PIAA bulbs. They're down to $50+/ pair now that HID retrofit kits are getting cheaper and cheaper.

- Ahsai
Ahsai, what sort of lifetime have you gotten out of the bulbs?

I did some research and found that many had been having problems with them burning out quickly. That's why, all things being equal I went with the Silverstars.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I have no experience with Silverstar but I have had 2 sets of PIAA xw+ on two cars for the past 5-7yrs and they're still burning bright! The filaments show normal wear just like regular halogen bulbs.

I like them so much because they don't have a heavy blue coating to achieve the 4000K color and hence they are much brighter than other "similar" whiter bulbs e.g., Hoen, which is ONLY good for color matching.

- Ahsai
Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

BTW, just found this review of a few brighter H7 bulbs...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...st_h7_50.html#

Silverstar ranks the best and Visionplus comes in second.

- Ahsai
Old 10-16-2006, 04:34 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have silverstars in my E39 and one of them burned out after only 6 months. I do not run my lights in the day either.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I was quite pleased with the new Silverstars this morning. I can't wait to see the Silverstar Ultras
Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet
Yeah, I was quite pleased with the new Silverstars this morning. I can't wait to see the Silverstar Ultras

I am pretty pleased with the Silverstars too. I replaced the bulbs in my Merc E-Class with Silverstars and the difference was like night and day. (Although the stock bulbs had been in place for several years old and probably needed replacement anyways.)
Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by programmatore

I am pretty pleased with the Silverstars too. I replaced the bulbs in my Merc E-Class with Silverstars and the difference was like night and day. (Although the stock bulbs had been in place for several years old and probably needed replacement anyways.)

Thanks, they were a good recommendation. Although, I've no idea why the Ultras are so hard to find.

Quick Reply: 996 conversion to HID - opinions?