Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is Car wax that can melt, bad for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Car wax that can melt, bad for our cars?

Is this for real?

http://www.5starshine.com/ppc/index.html?cache=5
Old 10-14-2006, 01:52 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contrary to that website's claims I would say that most waxes and polishes are NOT real waxes, rather are synthetic polymer compounds or a mix of the two. It is true that waxes in general do not have the durability of polymer-based polishes, but they also generally develop the glossiest finish. Having said that, there is a lot of variation between products, and there are definitely some polymer-based polishes that will produce a better finish than some waxes. At the end of the day it is generally the technique and attention to detail during preparation (stripping old wax/polish, cleaning paint, treating surface) and application ("waxing") that makes the biggest difference in the final results. Finally, for durability you should always wash your car using a car wash-specific liquid. DO NOT using dishwashing liquid, it will strip off the wax/polish! Car-wash liquids are formulated to not attack the wax/polish, especially if you use the same brand of wax/polish and car wash liquid. A detailing spray can be used between waxing to keep things looking in top shape.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:25 PM
TBH996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Johnsons' Baby shampoo. It is VERY mild, leaves no residue, and keeps the wax looking fresh. For wax, I use Zymol paste (not the stuff at the Autozone...the real stuff). In between washes, I use the spray mist quick detailer to remove any bugs or tire spray behind the wheels. The California car duster is a great product also.

Quick Reply: Is Car wax that can melt, bad for our cars?