996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Vin wpcoa2994ys650084

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

... 85% of all statistics that a dealer quotes are made up.

67% of all statistics I quote are pulled out of my a$$
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much. I'll call Sonnen. Overall, this board is very useful and filled with most great people who are car folks. A few bad apples don't spoil the bunch! (Granny)

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
well you posted the vin wrong so i guess at what it was supposed to be
vin WP0CA2994YS650084
car had a coolant tnak in 7/03/02 along with a remote and some minor trim stuff
engine was out 9/9/02 for replacement of oil seprator oil suction pumps plugs maf sesnor
no explaintaion why
wok was done by sonnen porsche you could cal them and get more details maybe

has an open a209 recall
porsche shows only one owner steve
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet
Well, a dealer said it, so it MUST be true... even better if it's written on the Internet AND a Dealer says it, then it's more reliable than the bible. Ooops! Shouldn't said that.
LOL!!!!!

You knew I would have to b!tch slap some newbie talking out his @ss at some point.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
LOL!!!!!

You knew I would have to b!tch slap some newbie talking out his @ss at some point.
Hey, it's been a few weeks, so I figured that you were overdue.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Very generous of you to post that Steve

sorry the one owners name was steve i didnt think the last name was importain or ok to post, i figured if the guy your buying from is steve its problay the same guy.

Thats the only info i can get from the porsce computer sorry no compy and pasteing just the basics
Old 10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
s14roller
Racer

If they don't have records it probably wasn't changed...I'm sure they're trying to use it as a positive fact that it "probabaly" has a new motor in it.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

I passed on the car because it has pretty bad oil leaks and had a strange whine and driveline vibration at certain rpm. Still looking.

Originally Posted by s14roller
If they don't have records it probably wasn't changed...I'm sure they're trying to use it as a positive fact that it "probabaly" has a new motor in it.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

good choice. be patient as there are PLENTY of good examples out there. Best of luck in your search
Old 10-11-2006, 01:51 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Interesting. I also agree, I did not find out my car had a new engine via CarFax, but it took the dealer a whole 5 mins after they got my car on the rack to tell me that my car has had it's engine replaced. Which in P-car world I guess is a good thing
Old 10-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

That leads right to my next question. Should I be looking for a 996 that has had a new engine sometime in its life? My guess is that when they put a new engine in, it's probably a rebuilt one that is really tight to factory tolerances. It could be said that the "born with" engine is not within as tight of a spec. as the reman. engines (provided failure rates have been happening less with reman. engines). Some people say that $12k isn't so much money for the priviledge of a brand new engine but I'm only spending ~$25k on my 996 so it IS half of the price of the car!

Originally Posted by dimnslow
Interesting. I also agree, I did not find out my car had a new engine via CarFax, but it took the dealer a whole 5 mins after they got my car on the rack to tell me that my car has had it's engine replaced. Which in P-car world I guess is a good thing
Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

the early 996 engines have been good, dont really see to many fail........the 02+ 996 engine fail more often NOTE I AM NOT SAYING THEY ALL BLOW UP OR ITS A TIME BOMB OR ANYTHING ELSE OF THE SORT JUST THAT THE NEWER ONES FAIL MORE THEN THE OLDER ONES in my experince
Old 10-11-2006, 02:43 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

I agree with firehawk. Having a new engine doesn't mean it will be less problem prone, having a car with higher miles with no RMS (Real Main Seal) issue doesn't mean it's going to break any sooner than a car with a new engine.

My main throught process with lower mileage cars, and I bought my car with very low miles, it is much better IMHO to have someone run across that RMS problem, and had it replaced, at lets say 20K, then have it not surface until 30K when I own it

My understanding with RMS is that it either leaks right off the bat or it doesn't.

Just this past weekend I heard a Boxster owner that was on his 3rd engine because of RMS issues.

But as with I believe what everyone else is saying on the board, it is a known issue, but not a common one. You see it a lot on the board since the small percentage of the people who had encountered the problem are more vocal.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

I thought RMS had nothing to do with an engine failure (unless you ran out of oil, of course). Porsche doesn't ever replace engines just for RMS do they?

Originally Posted by dimnslow
I agree with firehawk. Having a new engine doesn't mean it will be less problem prone, having a car with higher miles with no RMS (Real Main Seal) issue doesn't mean it's going to break any sooner than a car with a new engine.

My main throught process with lower mileage cars, and I bought my car with very low miles, it is much better IMHO to have someone run across that RMS problem, and had it replaced, at lets say 20K, then have it not surface until 30K when I own it

My understanding with RMS is that it either leaks right off the bat or it doesn't.

Just this past weekend I heard a Boxster owner that was on his 3rd engine because of RMS issues.

But as with I believe what everyone else is saying on the board, it is a known issue, but not a common one. You see it a lot on the board since the small percentage of the people who had encountered the problem are more vocal.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:38 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

some engines were replaed for rms issues, usually after multiple attempts if it was found that the cracnk was out of alignment the engine would be replaced. rms can leak at any time they leak when they sit they leak after you do a clutch qand have the trans out. engine dont blow up from rms issues its a spot in your driveway nothing more nothing less
Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
some engines were replaed for rms issues, usually after multiple attempts if it was found that the cracnk was out of alignment the engine would be replaced. rms can leak at any time they leak when they sit they leak after you do a clutch qand have the trans out. engine dont blow up from rms issues its a spot in your driveway nothing more nothing less
Yeah, 2nd what firehawk said.

From my understanding, the engine is usually replaced when they found the crank to be out of alignment to the engine. Or if there was an RMS issue that was not caught until too late.

Not exactly the only cause of the problem that leads to replacing the engine but from what I read on the board can lead to it.

Quick Reply: Vin wpcoa2994ys650084