996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C2 in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 PM
AaronB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm up in Toronto, and I'm definitely looking for a C4 or a C4S as a daily driver. I don't think I'd consider a RWD, since we usually have snow on the ground for at least 2-3 months in the winter.
Frustrating - haven't been able to find the perfect car yet. Plenty of C2's available - I've seen 3-4 that I would have snatched up in a second, had they been C4 and not C2.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 AM
peachboy
Racer

I'm in Toronto and previously was in Quebec. I drive my C2 days in and days out. I'm only leaving it behind on the very worst day mainly due to my perception about other drivers abilities in snow, not mine, not my car. 4 WD are really usefull in deep snow at very slow speed. Like on backcountry road. The biggest problem I've seen with 4 WD is that some driver feels that nothing can go wrong with 4WD and they end up losing control. 4WD doesn't repeal physics laws. So, same price or so do go for the 4WD but don't pass on a good C2 if you come across one.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronB
I'm up in Toronto, and I'm definitely looking for a C4 or a C4S as a daily driver. I don't think I'd consider a RWD, since we usually have snow on the ground for at least 2-3 months in the winter.
Frustrating - haven't been able to find the perfect car yet. Plenty of C2's available - I've seen 3-4 that I would have snatched up in a second, had they been C4 and not C2.
Toronto here, too. With the disclaimer that I've never driven a C4, I have to say that it's tires that are going to make the biggest difference for you, not part-time 4WD. I'd take a C2 - or any 2wd car - with four proper winter tires over 4wd without. If it was me, I wouldn't walk away from a great C2 deal for only that reason. 'course, that and a subway token will get you downtown.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I agree - tyres are the key, not awd. A similar question comes up every year on miata.net, and everybody agrees that those cars work just fine with Blizzaks and a sack of cement in the trunk - pretty much the same as a C2
Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 PM
TorontoTaffy
4th Gear

You guys from T.O., where do you get your rims and tires from? I need a set for my first winter with the C2.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
peachboy
Racer

I'm in the minority here in that I don't have a second set of rims. Just bought the winter tire from my dealer (Downtown Fine Cars). They were the same price as a regular tire shop. My rims still looks new after 47,000 Km. I can tell you that usually dealers have rims/wheels combo that are much cheaper that buying the items separately. I don't see the point in buying cheap ugly rims for winter unless you go with tires of different size ( say 17 instead of 18 inches). I just didn't care for the look of 17" tires. I do realise that handling might be better with narrower 17s .

Quick Reply: C2 in the winter