Sponsored by:

Got an X51 oil pan with baffles

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:33 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got an X51 oil pan with baffles

Is that good enough to stop oil starvation on the track?

Got it from Suncoast Porsche in FL.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Type of car?
Application (DE/Club Race/etc)?
Your level of skill (honestly)?
Tires you are running?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

It might help, but I think the pump is the bigger part of it.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly gents, where does all this concern stem from? Do we just love to worry?

There are tons of us on this board who track our M96 engined cars (986, 996, 987, 997) with no problems whatsoever.

It's not as if problems go unreported around here. (Did anyone know what an RMS was before we purchased our cars?)

This issue is discussed quite a bit, but where are the failures? Where are the "I took my car to the track and the engine siezed" posts? I go to DE's and watch Club Races every summer and watch guys abolutely thrash these cars with no apparent problems (Jim B comes to mind). I watch Grand Am Cup races on Speed and the 996's seem to thrive at these events. I have been DE'ing my 986 for 6 summers on R compounds and the only thing I have replaced (other than tires, pads, rotors, brake fluid, and gas) has been a wheel bearing.

I'd really love to know if this is a real problem or not. Does anyone know if the Grand Am Cup guys use the higher capacity pans or accusump (I believe that is all the rules will allow)?

In answer to the original posters question I would think you would be fine with the X51 pan unless you are a pro-driver on slicks. Even as a pro on slicks, I'd guess you would still be "ok", however I'd like to hear what the Grand Am Cup guys use (if anything).

Good luck!!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Honestly gents, where does all this concern stem from? Do we just love to worry?

...Good luck!!
Ray, I went out to the garage this morning and found my P-car laying upside down on the floor with the wheels spinning! My heart stopped for a second until I realized it just wanted me to rub its tummy! After a few pets, it stretched and righted itself again. Whew, that was.....oh, wait.... maybe that was the dog!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:05 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray,
I agree with you except I do have the full oiling kit on my car. I did however race and DE my 3.4l without one for several of years with no problems.

I think most of the Grand Am Cup teams use the X51 oiling kit. They blow up a few engines but I think it has more to do with the computers they are running then oil. They also drive the cars much harder than you'll ever dream of in DE.

There will be 9 or 10 996s running at the club race at Daytona next weekend. Both 3.4 and 3.6Ls. I'll try to find out who is using an oiling kit and who isn't.

I don't think just the oil pan will do much but I'm not sure. I'd guess it can't hurt.
Jim

Quick Reply: Got an X51 oil pan with baffles