Sponsored by:

WANTED: X74 suspension for 996 C2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WANTED: X74 suspension for 996 C2

Ok, if anyone has a new, slightly used X74 suspension for 996 C2, please PM me or respond on this list. I'm looking to get one within the next month or so.

Suspension should include all the shocks, springs, and sway bars/bushings.

If no one responds, I may be buying new from Carnewal.com. I am trying to get everything done with one shot - 45K + suspension upgrade.

Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by dimnslow; 10-05-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure Gert would appreciate you using his image when you are trying to solicite a purchase from another source.

Just a though.....
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Sorry,

I have replaced that picture.

The X74 suspension seems to be only an European thing. There's one that's for sale on eBay here for only $500 USD, but it's located in the UK. Downside is shipping to the states for that size and weight will run about $500-$600 USD based on UPS or FedEx!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-X74-spor...ayphotohosting

Don't anyone sell it local? I love to buy it from Carnewal but the exchange rate is driving me nuts! Sigh. But looks like it is the only way to go.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I believe that Suncoast sells it.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:49 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Hi Ray,

Is that Suncoast Porsche of FL? If not, can you provide the URL? Thansk!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Here you go

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=996sport
Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I have the X74 on my 996 and it transforms the handling of the car. However be prepared, it is stiff. Your ride will deteriorate......there is no free lunch.

Good Luck....
Old 10-06-2006, 02:13 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Ray,

I need to ask for your advice on which one I should get then. I do mainly spirited road driving and some track use.

My choices so far are:

- PSS9s - sugguested by Alex for it's adjustibility, though I don't know if I will be actually adjusting them after they leave the shop
- M030 - seems like a good compromise, but I rather not spend the $1K if it's not going to increase handling greatly
- X74 - seems like everyone is giving it rave reviews, but may be too hard core when 50+% of my time is on the road.

Current suspension (besides for creaking/groaning noise coming from the rear driver side) has a slight floaty feel during high speed. So it's going to have to be replace with something during my 45K checkup/service.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Dimnslow wrote:
- X74 - seems like everyone is giving it rave reviews, but my be too hard core when 50+% of my time is on the road.
I have the X74 and it is 95% street, I wouldn't change back. Had the PSS9's but it was a pain to change the settings, at least for me.

Purchased mine from Gert.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I can't comment on the PSS9's as I have not driven a car that is equiped with them. I have heard that they do not give a harsher ride than stock, then again I have heard the same about the X74 and that is just not the case in my opinion.

In my opinion, the pluses and minuses are as follows;

x74
+ Factory equipment
+ No adjustment necessary
+ Simple bolt on replacement (very easy to install)
+ Transforms the handling
- Ride degrades
- No adjustment possible (can't corner balance, adjust ride height, or dampning level)

PSS9
+ Fully adjustable
+ Ride is allegedly not too harsh
+ Improves the handling
- Complicated to install (there seems to be quite a bit of confusion on which parts are re-used and which are discarded)
- Fully adjustable (you will need to play around with the variables to get it right)
- Non-factory fit
- Drop capabilities (Bilstein says the system is only good for a 35mm drop or else you risk bottoming the suspension on the bumpstops. However, most of the cars I have seen with this system have been lowered beyond 35mm. I'm not sure how effective the set-up with lower ride heights).

I would say that my 996 w/the x74 is fairly stiff. However, for me it is fine as the stock set-up felt a touch soft. I don't use the 996 on the track (only my 986 for now) so all my driving is street use. However, I'd bet the x74 would work great on the track.

If you are really torn, why not ask a few people for a ride in their cars. I know there are a lot of Rennlister's in California. I'm sure you could find a few to give you a ride in their cars.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dimnslow
Current suspension (besides for creaking/groaning noise coming from the rear driver side) has a slight floaty feel during high speed.
One last comment. That "float" you describe will be erased with the x74.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:57 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ray S
One last comment. That "float" you describe will be erased with the x74.
I just put in a bid for the X74 suspension package from the UK guy. He is missing the metal support tabs that fit behind the rear brake lights (he forgot to uninstall it from his car). How important is that piece?

I read that it helps stiffen the structure, but will I experience a catastrophic failure without it? Also, can that support tab part be easily, and cheaply purchased in the states?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I put those pieces on my car. They don't look like much, but I doubt Porsche would include them if they didn't have a reason.

I'd call up a dealer that deals in this system (Suncoast is the only one that I am familiar with) and ask them to look up the PN.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I sent the information below on Thursday 10/05 via PM as a response to dimnslow's request in this thread. If anyone else is looking for this setup, just let me know. Shipping should be less as SC is a little closer than the UK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have exactly what you're looking for, or basically I have everything you have shown in your picture. Only had the X74 setup installed on my '03 Targa for approx 1K miles. The wife could never get used to it. She complained about how it handled bumps. Actually I thought the car generally rode much better except on washboard type bumps. On those it was a little stiff. To me, compared to stock, it handled much, much better. The ride height was perfect. I purchased it from Gert at Carnewal. He has assured me that my setup fits all C2 style 996's.

Make me an offer I can't refuse.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 PM
RAC
Racer

so will this set up work on a '99?

Quick Reply: WANTED: X74 suspension for 996 C2