Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RAC
so will this set up work on a '99?
According to Porsche this system is only for '02's and later models. Porsche asserts that this system is not to be used on the Mk I's because they do not have the enhanced chassis of the Mk II's.

However, I know that several Rennlisters have put the x74 on the earlier models. I don't know if anyone has had any problems.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
I sent the information below on Thursday 10/05 via PM as a response to dimnslow's request in this thread. If anyone else is looking for this setup, just let me know. Shipping should be less as SC is a little closer than the UK.
For some reason I don't seem to be able to read my PMs, damn . Dwaynemosley, I just emailed you (I think) about the suspension.

Please give me an email at rogerpai at gmail dot com. This is my first Porsche so I can't afford TOO much, but love to make a deal with you if we can reach an agreement :-)
Old 10-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

dimmslow,

Going from a standard suspension to the X74 is a big jump. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I just want to make sure you know what you are getting.

The ROW M030 will lower and stiffen your suspension. It will get rid of all that "floaty" feeling on street driving, and WILL significantly and noticeably increase performance. Some people already think that the sport suspension can be too hard on the street, and is certainly adequate for occasional track use. My C4S came standard with the 030, and it took about 2 years of frequent track driving before I noticed any shortcomings at all. It was still excellent, and I could have lived with it had I wanted to.

The X74 will be a big jump. It will lower your car to the point where scraping can be an issue, and bad roads can be really annoying. I now have the X73 in my C4S. I love it on the track, but cringe when I see bad roads on the street. If this will be your daily driver, and you have any roads with bad expansion joints or bumpy patches of any significant length, and you plan on only an occasional track excursion, I would not recommend it. It can be liveable, but will not be enjoyable in those circumstances, and the street sacrifice may not be worth the track improvement.

Just my .02.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Palting
dimmslow,
Going from a standard suspension to the X74 is a big jump. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I just want to make sure you know what you are getting.
Just my .02.
Thanks for the advice Palting,

I been getting different responses on the performance of the X74 and M030. Mainly people had rave reviews on the X74 going from stock suspension setups.

My main concern is I want to eliminate the "floating feeling at high speed" while retain everyday drivability. My thought is since I'm already planning on spending money to upgrade the suspension, I do not want to spend all that $ to just upgrade the suspension a little, but rather see a drastic improvement in high speed performance.

Maybe I should ask for both and see which one is cheaper. BTW, do you know if the M030 is made for 2000 model 996s?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Yes, there is M030 for 2000 996. Each MY 911 has a sport suspension option.

Here's a link to Suncoast ROW M030 for '98-'01 that lists at $1057: M030

Here's one for the X74 for '02-'04 that lists at $2495: X74

No affiliation to Suncoast. In fact, I did not buy my X73 from them. Just posting to show you the list prices.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:09 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough call. I would suggest that if you already have concerns regarding ride comfort the ROW might be what you want. Do you drive in the cit or in the Heights areas?
If you pllan on going to the track and improving then you will need to give up some of the comfort. PSS9 is a great way to go because you can adjust the ride.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:39 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by roberga
If you pllan on going to the track and improving then you will need to give up some of the comfort. PSS9 is a great way to go because you can adjust the ride.
Ideally I would like the performance and ride quality of the 996 GT3. I been in them and don't mind the stiff ride. Which one of the suspension package will match the ride and performance of the GT3?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dimnslow
Ideally I would like the performance and ride quality of the 996 GT3. I been in them and don't mind the stiff ride. Which one of the suspension package will match the ride and performance of the GT3?
If you don't mind the GT3 then get the x74. It's has the closest ride/handling characteristics to the GT3 available on the 996 with a Porsche O.E. set-up.

As I mentioned before this set-up simply transforms the handling of the car.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:10 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

The difference is that the GT3 has a much stiffer chassis so they could go with a softer suspension. You will not be able to duplicate the set up. Stop by the guys a TRG ask for Austin. He will be able to help.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
The difference is that the GT3 has a much stiffer chassis so they could go with a softer suspension. You will not be able to duplicate the set up. Stop by the guys a TRG ask for Austin. He will be able to help.
The Mk II GT3's chassis is only marginally stiffer than a stock C2 Mk II (the GT3 uses the C4 Chassis). In fact, I'd bet that the Mk II Carrera has a stiffer chassis than the Mk I GT3 (not sold in the US). However Porsche has stated that the GT3 springs are 20% stiffer than the standard C2 springs and it has firmer shocks and thicker bars (it is not softer than a C2).

Stiffer springs, shocks, and bars are exactly what the x74 package provides. Obviously the x74 set-up is not as extreme as the GT3's but it is as close as you will get out of an O.E. setup. (vs. getting racing coilovers).

If he does not find the GT3's ride to be objectionable, he will not mind the X74.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:50 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by Palting
Yes, there is M030 for 2000 996. Each MY 911 has a sport suspension option.

Here's a link to Suncoast ROW M030 for '98-'01 that lists at $1057: M030

Here's one for the X74 for '02-'04 that lists at $2495: X74

No affiliation to Suncoast. In fact, I did not buy my X73 from them. Just posting to show you the list prices.
I emailed Suncoast about these parts advertised on their website, and never heard boo back from them.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Yup, I hear you, wrljet. Some of these guys just can't seem to e-mail. Did my best research on the phones. Most of the dealers were quite helpful, though some just did not seem to have a clue. I ended up buying from my local dealer, and they matched the best price I found on the internet.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 AM
dimnslow
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrljet
I emailed Suncoast about these parts advertised on their website, and never heard boo back from them.
Heh, I am still waiting to see if anyone has a gently used X74 suspension or RoW M030 suspension they want to sell. Not too into spending $$ on brand new suspension for a 5/6 yr old car
Old 10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Pretty good article on the RoW M030 suspension http://www.pca.org/panorama/sample_article_3.html

Seems like this should be the suspension I should consider new, and a much cheaper alternative.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Yup. IMHO, its the right suspension for what you want, it's the right suspension for your model year car, and it's the right price. Now, see if you can get your local dealer to get it for you at the same price as the cheapest new one from the internet, then either give have them give you a reaonable instal quote or make it a DIY, and you'll be in hog heaven. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: WANTED: X74 suspension for 996 C2