996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

All Season tires or Winter setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried this this all season experiment and it nearly cost me dearly! I was driving home in the rain and from one moment to the next (literally in a span of less than a mile) the rain turned to snow and my rear wheel driver was useless. I have never been in such a dangerous situation. I dupmped the car at the first exit in the first available parking space. I waited another hour before a taxi cab passed by to drive me to the home of my nearest friend, I was nowhere near home. A nightmare to get back to the car, dig it out and get home that could have been avoided had I mounted the Pirelli Snowsports now on the car. Its a weekend driver for me that gets 10K miles a year. I'll run Snow tires from October to March and Summer tires the rest of the year.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:09 PM
c4s Jim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a place in Natick (about 15 miles west of Boston) called Wheel Dynamix (508) 647-6999. They're a nice outfit accustomed to working on high-end cars.

I know that they'll store your off-season tires and re-mount them each season. I suspect they'd also store wheel/tire sets as well. A friend has used them for his P-car for several years. I just bought my friend's slightly used Pilot Sport tires (that won't fit his new 997) and had them mounted on my own rims at Wheel Dynamix.

Mount, computer balance and disposal of 4 old tires for only $88. Not a scratch on 'em.

Spoke with my friend. Both his summer and winter tires are already mounted on wheels. They charge him $150 a year. This includes cost of changeover each season, cleaning the wheels, storing the off-season wheels. Speak with Jeff Orlinsky (owner); they are on Route 135 near intersection of Speen Street (but tucked behind the Dunkin' Donuts)

Last edited by c4s Jim; 10-02-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I appreciate all the opinions and insight, folks. Thanks.

C4s Jim, I'll definitely check out the place you mentioned. I'm working in Natick so it will be quite convenient. I'll ask them about storage.

S.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:55 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I tried this this all season experiment and it nearly cost me dearly! I was driving home in the rain and from one moment to the next (literally in a span of less than a mile) the rain turned to snow and my rear wheel driver was useless. I have never been in such a dangerous situation. I dupmped the car at the first exit in the first available parking space. I waited another hour before a taxi cab passed by to drive me to the home of my nearest friend, I was nowhere near home. A nightmare to get back to the car, dig it out and get home that could have been avoided had I mounted the Pirelli Snowsports now on the car. Its a weekend driver for me that gets 10K miles a year. I'll run Snow tires from October to March and Summer tires the rest of the year.
He has a C4.

thanks,
Amir
Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
'm in a 2001 C4. With only 300 hp and all wheel drive I've never broken traction on the street with my summer tires so I'm wondering whether I wouldn't be fine with all season tires and save myself some money/driving.
Keep in mind, AWD will help with traction when accelerating, but it don't do squat for braking or lateral grip, in fact it's probably worse in braking distance vs. C2 because of the added weight.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Plus, it's great fun seeing the look of shock when I out-accelerate an SUV (probably on all seasons) from a stoplight in heavy snow.
+1! Count me as one who says go winter / summer an avoid the "all season'' tires. You bought a "no compromise" car, don't buy a compromise tire. Surely you can find 24" x 24" x 37 1/2"H worth of space somewhere to put your winter wheels and tires? (I just measured mine, FYI)
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2006, 05:54 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I appreciate all the opinions and insight, folks. Thanks.

C4s Jim, I'll definitely check out the place you mentioned. I'm working in Natick so it will be quite convenient. I'll ask them about storage.

S.
Shawn, you have a PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:28 PM
jimbo8351
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Boston area. I drive my Carrera year round. You need snow tires. Summer high performance tires may be safe on black pavement at 155, but if the pavement is a little white they are not safe at 15 MPH. Ask my wife who managed to drive my car off the road in snow at about 10 MPH.

I've gone both ways. 1. Had one set of rims and swapped summer and winter tires. 2. Had seperate rims and tires for summer and winter use. If you go with option 1 your rims will eventually get chewed up form the tire guys swappping tires on and off them. Option 2, just costs more initially although now I do my own season change and save the $80 the tire shop charged me to mount and change the winter and summer tire. I'd recommend buying winter tires and rims.

I use Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's on Boxster 17" rims that I bought on eBay on my 2001 Carrera and have never had problems in a Boston winter.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:54 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for the snows on their own wheels. I drive my C4 all over New England in the winter and its No Problem even in the storms. As far as the storage you have to visit your mother in law once in a while. Plan it for Spring and Fall. If you never have to visit her, I want to know how you pull that one off?

Quick Reply: All Season tires or Winter setup