Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is buying an extended warranty on 2001 911 w 22K miles worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 01:11 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
warrantydirect.com You can't lose with them!!
Thanks for the info. I 'll check it out.

My local dealer suggested Total Shield Plan for 4 years at $3,881 which covers almost like the factory warranty. But check this out, I checked out their website, and they are a lot less than the dealer quoted price. I guess dealers add premium or a fee on top?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by arr0gant
warrantydirect.com You can't lose with them!!
I went into their website, and I got this. Do you have coverage with them?

"Your Vehicle 2001 Porsche 911
Your Vehicle Mileage 22,000

We are sorry. Warranty Direct does not offer coverage on this vehicle."
Old 09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by JJB236
Thanks for the info. I 'll check it out.

My local dealer suggested Total Shield Plan for 4 years at $3,881 which covers almost like the factory warranty. But check this out, I checked out their website, and they are a lot less than the dealer quoted price. I guess dealers add premium or a fee on top?

Yep it is a huge profit for them. From what i have read it is better to buy direct from the source if possible.

I also had the same thing with Warrantydirect. Sorry will not cover.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Well, actually, I would add another perspective to this discussion. A warranty is only as good as the experience that you have when you have a claim. I have no experience of a claim with my policy. It would be interesting to hear more from those who have filed claims.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by oreganet
Well, actually, I would add another perspective to this discussion. A warranty is only as good as the experience that you have when you have a claim. I have no experience of a claim with my policy. It would be interesting to hear more from those who have filed claims.

Yes I agree. I would like to hear from the people who have a warranty and used it. How was the claim handled?

I talked with my local indy mechanic. They were sort of so-so about these warranties for the 996. They were surprised that I even found someone to cover the Porsche. They had one guy in that tried to use a warranty that was denied. This was a very expensive high end warranty. He had two issues which were not covered and they were surprised that the one issue was not covered. I think it is a roll of the dice either way you go. I guess it all comes down to how well the mechanical condition of your vary is.

Quick Reply: Is buying an extended warranty on 2001 911 w 22K miles worth the money?