996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dealer put 100+ miles on the 911 while in service for 5 days

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006 | 01:53 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by djantlive
My dealer puts about 25-50 mi per day trying to fix rattles etc. I doubt it's really warranted but it's 100 mi is nothing for 5 days. Noises needs to fixed one at a time.
The real issue with me is that I only took my car in for one repair job which was wheel rattling, but they just kept finding new problem after problem. Then the repair list came out about 5 pages long which were all under warranty.

What some of you guys might not be aware is that some dealers do warranty repairs since the factory will pay for the cost. Dealers do these on cars under warranty to generate revenue for the dealership.
Old 09-24-2006 | 01:58 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Any of these service managers named Kim, by chance?
Old 09-24-2006 | 02:04 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by justinmm2
Any of these service managers named Kim, by chance?
First name is Kim? The service manager at the Downtown dealer was a guy.
Old 09-24-2006 | 12:28 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by JJB236
The real issue with me is that I only took my car in for one repair job which was wheel rattling, but they just kept finding new problem after problem. Then the repair list came out about 5 pages long which were all under warranty.

What some of you guys might not be aware is that some dealers do warranty repairs since the factory will pay for the cost. Dealers do these on cars under warranty to generate revenue for the dealership.

this is true it is revenue for the dealer, but it was under warrenty and if the dealer is adding "lines" they are likely real issues and most likely saftey related
the dealer wuld get in huge trouble adding lines for the purpose of revenue over customer saftey. and it really is better to have it done under warrenty then out of your pocket when your out of warrenty
Old 09-24-2006 | 02:14 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

i applaud the dealer for fixing other problems that they find along they way. how many times have you taken a car in for one thing - only to get it back to find some new problem....something that should have been obvious to the person working on it. maybe better communication would have helped, too. a quick phone call: "hey...we've noticed that X isn't quite right..." etc...

i like them being proactive. as for the 100 miles....that does seem a bit excessive, but as long as there is no damage and you got the car back with all the issues dealt with, i'd be ok with it.

maybe just a quick scan to see if there have any over-revs would help put you at ease. that way you'd know they weren't beating on it.
Old 09-27-2006 | 01:44 AM
JJB236
Racer

So half the people think it's acceptable, and the other half do not.

Yeah, so it was odd that they took it home overnight. But the car's original rattling problem is gone, along with other problems they said they'd found. I was going to make a big stink about it bringing in my lawyer, but I don't got the time now. I might take it up and mention this odd procedure with the dealer's owner at a later time.
Old 09-27-2006 | 01:48 AM
JJB236
Racer

[QUOTE=washington951]maybe just a quick scan to see if there have any over-revs would help put you at easeQUOTE]

Whaddya mean, a quick scan? Is there a way to scan prior over-revs?
Old 09-27-2006 | 02:20 AM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJB236
First name is Kim? The service manager at the Downtown dealer was a guy.
This is LA - there are a lot of guys named Kim. Also, this seems reasonable to me - I've had it done with other cars. 100 miles is a little higher than normal, but you know that most people don't live downtown, so this could have been just one or two round trips. If the car is better than before, 100 miles is no big deal.
Old 09-27-2006 | 03:07 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I think it is a little much putting 100 miles on your car....but be glad he did all the repairs under warranty (needed or not) you wrote the car feels more tight! Perfect...I wouldn't make a stink....ask them friendly how it is possible...but...if the dealer is a good one..cherish them, because there are not that many great ones!
Old 09-27-2006 | 03:11 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I think it is a little much putting 100 miles on your car....but be glad he did all the repairs under warranty (needed or not) you wrote the car feels more tight! Perfect...I wouldn't make a stink....ask them friendly how it is possible...but...if the dealer is a good one..cherish them, because there are not that many great ones!
The background shop in your avatar, it looks familiar. Is that Rodeo Dr or Sunset Strip in Beverly Hills?
Old 09-27-2006 | 03:21 AM
JJB236
Racer

Nicolaas,

Great "facelift" on your 996. I sent you a private message earlier. I can't justify spending $3K now for 02 front conversion. On your pre facelift photo, you had some headlamp cover that made the old teardrop headlamp look round. Could you give me some info on that such as vendor and price? If you still have them, would you be interested in selling them?

Btw, great website you got there. Awesome photo shots. You do weddings too?

Quick Reply: Dealer put 100+ miles on the 911 while in service for 5 days