Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

K&N Cold Air Intake : who has had issues with this product ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:39 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How are you getting a ram air effect? It's hard to get ram air from behind a moving vehicle...perhaps the side intake on turbos might allow for this, but it generally occurs when the volume of air entering the intake is increased as a result of higher speeds due to the moving vehicle. In other words, the air is literally being rammed into the intake as the car slams forward through standing air.

In the CAI situation however, it seems as though air is still only being sucked into the intake unless the aerodynamics of the car are such that air coming over the roofline of the car are collecting THROUGH the slits in the rear deck lid....which seems pretty unlikely since it'd add a hell of a lot of drag.

No, I think the supposed benefit of the CAI is simply due to the less restrictive filtering element.

As for throttle response, that is purely anecdotal here, but what the heck; if it feels better to you, good going. Maybe since there is more air in the snorkle and intake available to the throttle body, the butterfly valve doesn't have to open as wide to facilitate combustion and hence the accelerator feels more responsive since you don't need to press down as much?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:46 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
How are you getting a ram air effect? It's hard to get ram air from behind a moving vehicle...perhaps the side intake on turbos might allow for this, but it generally occurs when the volume of air entering the intake is increased as a result of higher speeds due to the moving vehicle. In other words, the air is literally being rammed into the intake as the car slams forward through standing air.

In the CAI situation however, it seems as though air is still only being sucked into the intake unless the aerodynamics of the car are such that air coming over the roofline of the car are collecting THROUGH the slits in the rear deck lid....which seems pretty unlikely since it'd add a hell of a lot of drag.

No, I think the supposed benefit of the CAI is simply due to the less restrictive filtering element.

As for throttle response, that is purely anecdotal here, but what the heck; if it feels better to you, good going. Maybe since there is more air in the snorkle and intake available to the throttle body, the butterfly valve doesn't have to open as wide to facilitate combustion and hence the accelerator feels more responsive since you don't need to press down as much?
What happens to flow of water that is running in a 1 inch water pipe and then reduced down to a 3/4 inch pipe? Wheather it is being sucked through the pipe or pushed through the pipe.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
What happens to flow of water that is running in a 1 inch water pipe and then reduced down to a 3/4 inch pipe? Wheather it is being sucked through the pipe or pushed through the pipe.
It accelerates in the narrowed section. Didn't somebody post a before and after dyno that showed a pretty big area under the curve improvement in torque? I'd guess that's why folks would be willing to give the intake a whirl.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:45 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience CAI's and Ram Air Intakes are not interchangeable terms but in fact two different types of intakes. CAI are supposed to separate the intake from the hot engine bay temperatures. So the supposed seal around the K&N and the EVO allow them to be called CAI's. The standard Conical intakes are just supposed to be less restrictive and the stock intake on the 996 and any other car are basically low level Ram Air.

And about being ancedotal, why is it everyone who doesn't have a specific mod gets to claim ancedotal yet they have nothing more than ancedotal remarks against mods? Then even when some one actually takes the time to dyno the mod, it's still not good enough for the anti mod ancedotal crowd.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:39 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
CAI are supposed to separate the intake from the hot engine bay temperatures. So the supposed seal around the K&N and the EVO allow them to be called CAI's.
But the stock airbox is already a sealed air intake and thus separated from the hot engine air.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Exactly, the stock is sealed and has sort of a ram air effect but the K&N and Evo have a less restrictive cotton filter with the supposed sealed and same ram air effect.

I've seen on other cars with just a Conical Intake and no sealed box an increase of HP per dyno charts. Of course the gains were only 5-7hp and not 15-20hp on N/A cars.

But the stock airbox is already a sealed air intake and thus separated from the hot engine air.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:25 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I have had not one problem since the installation of the K&N. I has been a couple of months and many thousand miles thereafter. Throttle Response is noticeable.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:36 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Exactly, the stock is sealed and has sort of a ram air effect but the K&N and Evo have a less restrictive cotton filter with the supposed sealed and same ram air effect.

I've seen on other cars with just a Conical Intake and no sealed box an increase of HP per dyno charts. Of course the gains were only 5-7hp and not 15-20hp on N/A cars.
I hear you there, but what I was alluding to was that simply installing a freer flowing flat filter might still do the job.

Also, how is there a ram air effect. Ram air comes from moving air being rammed in there. What we have is sucked air. Big difference.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

The panel filters are known to only give 1-3hp on most cars and conicals 5-7hp; so why not go for the 5-7hp with a conical, lazy ram air, semi sealed box of an Evo intake that also gives you a loud WOT sound?

I hear you there, but what I was alluding to was that simply installing a freer flowing flat filter might still do the job.

Also, how is there a ram air effect. Ram air comes from moving air being rammed in there. What we have is sucked air. Big difference.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:49 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

The panel filters are known to only give 1-3hp on most cars and conicals 5-7hp; so why not go for the 5-7hp with a conical, lazy ram air, semi sealed box of an Evo intake that also gives you a loud WOT sound?
Conical filters in general give you a little more horsepower on the track where constant high speeds keep the engine area well ventilated. On the street, they may decrease horsepower due to pulling in hot air from around the engine.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

By street you mean stop and go traffic or Highway? Highway driving would seem to be the most ideal for conical since tracks are hotter and you push the car alot harder.

Originally Posted by caf
Conical filters in general give you a little more horsepower on the track where constant high speeds keep the engine area well ventilated. On the street, they may decrease horsepower due to pulling in hot air from around the engine.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Here is the ultimate intake

What I am saying is that these "ram" or "cold" intakes are just a waste of your money. There is absolutely no evidence since the dawn of the automobile that these miracle air cleaners and connection ducts provide any performance increase. Yet for over 80 years there have been suckers (sic) that give away their hard earned cash for this stuff.

I see Porsche owners of these things swear that "My throttle response is much better!" with these un-silenced wonder air cleaners. But riddle me this: with the exception of early 99 996s, how can one get "better throttle response" with an electronic air valve (the "throttle") that is opened and closed by a computer? More intake noise does not mean the car is more powerful. It mean that it is just noisier.

Save your money, or better yet, send me the $300-$400 and I will personally tell you that I think your car is fast!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

I am definitely considering the EVO. It's likely to be one my list of projects for the winter, but Gary (OE) makes some very valid points.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:00 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I know people who have Dyno'd Tornado's and Electric Superchargers and have no gains on the dyno. I know several who have dyno'd panel filters and have only gained 1-2hp. I know about 20 people who have all sorts of Conical intakes and they've all gained a minimum 7hp and a max of 12hp on a dyno. These were all N/A cars. These are people I actually know, not only that I was at the dyno shop. I've even hosted a dyno event at EIP Motorsports in MD where over 30 cars dyno'd in one day. I've seen the results of intake, ECU's and Exhaust upgrades add hp and TQ on Dyno machines, 1/4 mile tracks and street.

BTW, I can't comment on the ole "better throttle response because of an intake" statement other than my LWF gives me better throttle response on my 2000 996.

I'm curious to know how do you know intakes don't work? I'd have to assume that changing to a free'r flowing exhaust does nothing either right?

Originally Posted by Orient Express

What I am saying is that these "ram" or "cold" intakes are just a waste of your money. There is absolutely no evidence since the dawn of the automobile that these miracle air cleaners and connection ducts provide any performance increase. Yet for over 80 years there have been suckers (sic) that give away their hard earned cash for this stuff.

I see Porsche owners of these things swear that "My throttle response is much better!" with these un-silenced wonder air cleaners. But riddle me this: with the exception of early 99 996s, how can one get "better throttle response" with an electronic air valve (the "throttle") that is opened and closed by a computer? More intake noise does not mean the car is more powerful. It mean that it is just noisier.

Save your money, or better yet, send me the $300-$400 and I will personally tell you that I think your car is fast!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 PM
996 Jammy
Instructor

wow, was on the fence but guess im off the mod for now! thanks for the input fellas!

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake : who has had issues with this product ?