Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

15W50

Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, 15W oil is good for New York especially with winter right around the corner......NOT! What a stupid move unless you plan on changing the oil PRIOR to the winter temps coming.

If anybody wants some 15W-50 oil for cheap just let me know. I bought whole bunch and decided that I am going to stick with 0W-40.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:19 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a time when the big 3 US auto makers recomend using 10-40W and the use of 20-50W or SAE 30W. Today many of the big 3 recomend 5W-30 or even 5W-20. Times have changed and so has engine designs. IMO I would stick to the main recomendation of 0-40 or 5-40. I feel the 15-50 may have some start up effects with either the lifter or the varioram components. I will continue to use the thicker stuff for my 930, but my newer car will get the thinner stuff.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would not use 15W oil in NY, otherwise you might as well fill your rear with Astroglide. Wait that didn't sound... ah forget it.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Alright - I called my mechanic and asked him about the 15w50 in the winter months that it would be too heavy, and he said not at all. He mentioned they are using it in all 996s, specifically higher mileage, and all turbos.... better protection.

This guy has been working with porsches for 30+ years... I gotta believe that he knows better than most people here.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
Alright - I called my mechanic and asked him about the 15w50 in the winter months that it would be too heavy, and he said not at all. He mentioned they are using it in all 996s, specifically higher mileage, and all turbos.... better protection.

This guy has been working with porsches for 30+ years... I gotta believe that he knows better than most people here.
Does he know better than the engineers at Porsche? That is the question. And the answer without a doubt is no. Hell, I used to use 15w50 or straight 40 wt too..... in my turbo track car. You know, oil cooled turbo (really hot oil) and moderate to hot temps only. That's some stout oil. I'd just as soon my lifters not make noise on start up in my 996 and actually acheive the factory rated hp, thank you very much. Why would anyone ignore the current manufacturer's recommendation.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll make extra popcorn for those who want to sit back and watch the fight!

SIG by Chads996

Tim - That's a good one!!!

I'll take a beer too if you have one.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:13 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would anyone ignore the current manufacturer's recommendation.

Maybe because some people have a little more experience with engines in the real world versus some of the desk bound engineers who make these unfounded recommendations.

So, let’s review. There are some people who insist on using 0W40 oil because it is approved by Porsche. Their argument, for the most part, is that Porsche knows better than anyone what is best for their cars.

Yet, they do not run “N” rated tires which are the only tire approved. They change oil at 5,000 miles rather than the higher mileage recommended by Porsche. They use gear lube that is not approved. They run tire pressures which are not recommended. They make various body mods that affect the aerodynamics of the vehicle. They tune the engine to produce more power than the infallible engineers determined was the best for the vehicle. They fill their windshield washer reservoir with non Porsche fluid, completely ignoring Porsche’s recommendation. They run spark plugs that are not approved by Porsche. I wonder how many use a battery other than one purchased from Porsche? After market clutches and flywheels not approved by Porsche? Wheel spacers?

I have to assume that for those who made any of the above changes to their Porsche engineered vehicle must have a certain level of intelligence to have determined the changes would not adversely affect the vehicle. I wonder where this level of intelligence is when those same people run 0W40 only because it is oil approved by Porsche.

When people do not understand something, they will always follow the marketing hype.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

The factory is OK with both, that is clearly written in the manual and was factory fill. My oil pressures when the car gets mildly hot are very low, which is somewhat unnerving and cant be good for "achieving" horsepower. But I am not a mechanical engineer, or mechanic, so I dont really know for sure.

I'm bowing out on this one...
Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911

Maybe because some people have a little more experience with engines in the real world versus some of the desk bound engineers who make these unfounded recommendations.

So, let’s review. There are some people who insist on using 0W40 oil because it is approved by Porsche. Their argument, for the most part, is that Porsche knows better than anyone what is best for their cars.

Yet, they do not run “N” rated tires which are the only tire approved. They change oil at 5,000 miles rather than the higher mileage recommended by Porsche. They use gear lube that is not approved. They run tire pressures which are not recommended. They make various body mods that affect the aerodynamics of the vehicle. They tune the engine to produce more power than the infallible engineers determined was the best for the vehicle. They fill their windshield washer reservoir with non Porsche fluid, completely ignoring Porsche’s recommendation. They run spark plugs that are not approved by Porsche. I wonder how many use a battery other than one purchased from Porsche? After market clutches and flywheels not approved by Porsche? Wheel spacers?

I have to assume that for those who made any of the above changes to their Porsche engineered vehicle must have a certain level of intelligence to have determined the changes would not adversely affect the vehicle. I wonder where this level of intelligence is when those same people run 0W40 only because it is oil approved by Porsche.

When people do not understand something, they will always follow the marketing hype.
The Best Response Yet!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I'll make extra popcorn for those who want to sit back and watch the fight!

SIG by Chads996

Tim - That's a good one!!!

I'll take a beer too if you have one.
You got it! One box of popcorn and one beer, comming up! No need to tip!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I chose the oil that Mr. Ruf(the only guy that Porsches allows to pull cars off the line, do what he wants to them and put his own VIN number on them) puts in every 996 they service 0w40 For the previous poster, They modify just a few cars a month.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best response I've heard in ages to this long debate.
just an fyi....consequently each time 0w-40 has been used in my pcars, I suffer an rms leak. when filled with 15w-50, no leak. coincidence?

ok...just kidding! lol

heck, I've ihad great results using evo! y'all should try that!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Windshield washer fluid is as critical to the performance of a fine sports car as the oil in it's motor???
If the motor doesn't run none of the other things you list matter at all. I don't know the answer, but it was quite apparent from the previous thread on this topic that you don't either. So that being given, I'll rely on the folks with the best data and who warranty these vehicles (which is the point of specific recommendations like clutches, etc. quite obviously). I apparently missed the "marketing" hype that I was swayed by. TV ads? Print media? Fill me in.

>>>The factory is OK with both, that is clearly written in the manual and was factory fill. My oil pressures when the car gets mildly hot are very low, which is somewhat unnerving and cant be good for "achieving" horsepower.<<<

Well, actually it is. Put thicker oil in, get less HP out. Ask some motorsports professionals if they run lighter oil for qualifying than for an enduro.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:50 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This a discussion about oil and not other stuff. Ok please tell me how many of thoes so called experts actually rebuild 996 engines on a regular basis. Many mechanics go by old time experience with Porsche cars, ie cars that are not designed with todays tolerances or materials. As another poster said Ruf uses 0W-40 may so are you saying he has bought into marketing hype. From my knowledge I do not know any 996 engine that were blown due to too thin oil and if your experts can show proof that it was caused by using thinner oil then I'll believe it. To my knowledge most engine failure on a 996 were due to oil starvation from DOT tires, overheating, or bad castings. You may be right that the thicker stuff may protect better on track engines, but the thinner oil may be better for all conditions. DO you know why Chrysler runs a 5W-20 on their multi-displacement Hemi when the original V8s ran 10W-30? The valve system to turn off some of the cylinders works better with the thin stuff. Their was a time when the recomended oil for the chrysler V8 was not 10-30 and was thicker stuff. Times have changed and so have engines.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:16 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread is for people to share their opinion of which weight of oil they perfer and why. There are really no right or wrong answers here that at this time are universally accepted, only opinions based on what owners preceive to be important and in their cars best interest. Some makes sense, some nonsense. For some, the reason to use, is others not to use. I have read where some use 0w40 to keep the lifters quiet and others feel it contributes to noisy lifters. I found out a long time ago that because someone in a certain position recommends a certain product, that they may actually know less than I about it.

I do know a fair amount about oil, as in my business I build high performance motors and have since the '70's. I have raced at Bonneville, roadraced motorcycles for 8 years using motors (Superbike) that I have designed and successfully built. I have never had an oil related problem or failure. I sell oil, filters and the like, see first hand what works and doesn't and why.

Bottom line is, use what you like, as you are probably more difficult to please than your motor. For about all of the lower 48 anything for street use from 0w40 to 20w50 should be fine. Keep it full and keep it clean, thicker w weights will warm up slower and should be treated accordingly. Once the engine is at operating temperature there is very little difference between Xw40 and Xw50 although it was explained to me by a Petro-Chemical engineer that the lighter oil creates less oil sheer (friction) and will remove heat more efficiently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15W50