Sponsored by:

Small Scratches in Paint and Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 PM
AlexL.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Scratches in Paint and Zaino

Hi all. I just got back from Porscherama (Pocono Raceway DE event) and after about 60 or so laps around the road circuits my 996 needs some TLC.

There are some scratches in the paint in some areas and I've noticed with other cars that if I used the 3M Hand Glaze it would hide them (or take them out, not sure). Zaino does not at all. It makes the car shine very well and I'm happy with it but I am looking to get the scratches out THEN apply the Zaino. I plan to wash the car with Dawn and take all the old wax off then treat the scratches and apply lots of Zaino!!!

Any suggestions on how to take out scratches from the paint?

Old 09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds more like spiderwebbing = micromarring then true scratches. Use a good polish and a random orbit polisher like porter cable and that should do it for the scratches. For polish I would try optimum polish.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:45 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a dark colored car I would 2nd the motion to invest in a Porter Cable orbital polisher if youd don't already own one. THey sell them at Lowe's. I've seen some miraculous restorations using Menzerma Intensive Polish or Poorboys SSR1 or if necessary SSR2 (finished by going back to SSR1 to remove any swrils you might have created in taking out the deeper scratches).

It's a tough job to do by hand effectively.

The video on this site is pretty good on how do get out imperfections.
http://www.paintcare-n-detailing.com/
Old 09-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I own a buffer but if it is just a few small areas you can possibly get them out by hand with the products mentioned above or just Meguiars swirll remover 2.0 using a new and clean terri cloth pad in circular motions over the scratch. Should leave no marks behind and be ready for wax. Larger area or deep scratches use a orbital buffer and foam pad. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexL.
Hi all. I just got back from Porscherama (Pocono Raceway DE event) and after about 60 or so laps around the road circuits my 996 needs some TLC.

There are some scratches in the paint in some areas and I've noticed with other cars that if I used the 3M Hand Glaze it would hide them (or take them out, not sure). Zaino does not at all. It makes the car shine very well and I'm happy with it but I am looking to get the scratches out THEN apply the Zaino. I plan to wash the car with Dawn and take all the old wax off then treat the scratches and apply lots of Zaino!!!

Alex,

Products like 3M Hand Glaze will fill in scratches and swirl marks. 3M Swirl Mark Remover or 3M Finesse-It II (less abrasive than the Swirl Mark Remover) are good products to remove swirl marks.

Here is a link to Autogeek.net about the Porter Cable (PC) polisher. About a third of the way down the page there are 2 videos. The first video shows how to do "Light Swirl Removal" (which is probably what you need) and the second on is for "Intermediate Swirl Removal." Watch the video and you will see how relatively easy the process is to complete. It is not that difficult to use the PC polisher and the results will exceed any amount of hand polishing. You could substitute different polishes, waxes, or paint sealants that you may prefer, like the 3M products mentioned above.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

Before I got my '04 996, I had NEVER used a PC polisher. I learned how to use it on my P-car. You could also "practice" on one of your other cars. Let us know if you have any additional questions, 'cuz we're here to help!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexL.

Alex,

3M Swirl Mark Remover or 3M Finesse-It II (less abrasive than the first product)are good products to remove swirl marks.

Here is a link to Autogeek.net about the Porter Cable (PC) polisher. About a third of the way down the page there are 2 videos. The first video shows how to do "Light Swirl Removal" (which is probably what you need) and the second on is for "Intermediate Swirl Removal." Watch the video and you will see how relatively easy the process is to complete. It is not that difficult to use the PC polisher and the results will exceed any amount of hand polishing. You could substitute different polishes, waxes, or paint sealant that you may prefer, like the 3M products mentioned above.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

Before I got my '04 996, I had NEVER used a PC polisher. I learned how to use it on my P-car. You could also "practice" on one of your other cars.

You always want to start with he least abrasive polish as possible. If the scratches are too deep for the mild polish, then move up to a more abrasive polish.

Also, polishing pads come in different levels of abrasion. Mixing and matching pads and polishes can give you a variety of scratch removal possibilities. The link below will give you a very good overview on polishing pads.

http://www.autogeek.net/vcpad.html

This should be enough info to get you started. Let us know if you have any additional questions, 'cuz we're here to help!

Quick Reply: Small Scratches in Paint and Zaino