Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
LSD did not come WITHOUT TC in 1999 model year.
Where did you get this information from? I am sorry, but I have to ask because after scouring through the manuals and the IPC (parts catalogue) for 1999 I cannot find any reference to support this statement that a LSD was standard fit for the PSM equipped Carrera 4 nor with the (ABD) Traction control (TC) option on the Carrera.
The IPC only lists the LSD under option M220 and does not link it to option M222 (ABD/TC).
If there is a piece of Porsche paper stating that the LSD is standard with PSM and always fitted alongside the option M222 ABD/TC for the Carrera I would love to see it.
From what I have found so far to be 100% sure one must slide underneath the car and write down the transmission identification number. If the sixth digit is a "2" then it is fitted with LSD. "1" means normal differential.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: Just for info: ABD/TC only acts on the rear wheels, PSM acts on all four wheels. PSM first appeared on the 996 Carrera 4, but the ABD/TC was first developed for the Porsche 928 as PSD and was offered as an option on the 993 Carrera.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:48 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if I correctly understand what your're saying about the link of the option code of the 220 to the 222, but on my 99 996, the option codes listed on the tag mounted under the hood...list both the 220 and the 222 option codes sequentially. As I said...I'm not sure if I correctly understand what it is you are trying to confirm...but both are listed there.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I don't know if I correctly understand what your're saying about the link of the option code of the 220 to the 222, but on my 99 996, the option codes listed on the tag mounted under the hood...list both the 220 and the 222 option codes sequentially. As I said...I'm not sure if I correctly understand what it is you are trying to confirm...but both are listed there.
Chuck,
By sequential I was talking about the parts catalogue listings. If two or more parts are linked as being required to be fitted together as part of an options package, the parts catalogue will list the part, then model year then the relevant option numbers side by side.
Example: LSD-99-220, 222, 224, 476
The fact that on your options label you have M220 (LSD) and M222 (TC) and Oscar only shows M222 (TC) on his label confirms they are not automatically linked when ordered as options for model year 1999. Inotherwards when the dealer and customer were sitting down going through the option list and the customer said: "Oh I think I would like to have Traction control". The dealer would not be required to say: "Ah, if you take Traction control you also have to have the Limited slip diff option. You can't have one without the other". What the dealer might have said is: "Would you like a Limited slip diff to go with that Sir"?.
However later on in the 996 series I believe some of these options may have been linked for certain models, but I have to check all of this out later.
Thank you for this information.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Last edited by Adrian; 09-22-2006 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Uneven Rear tire wear